Azamara cruises

CXX

Apologies, this is a repeated post from general cruise forum.

Can anyone tell me if Azamara still continue with their objectionable habit of moving people from the public areas because they wish to hold a private party for, perhaps, passengers who have booked with a particular travel agent?

The last time we cruised with them a year or so ago, we were moved from, or denied access to, public areas at least 4 times during a 12 night cruise. I do like the ships, but that has put me off booking since then. I feel very strongly that public areas, particularly quiet areas such as the living room and drawing room should be available at all times, and private parties should be held in other areas.

Edited by CXX
I had posted this elsewhere.

I do not find it objectionable, it is not as if it happens all the time in every place. In the last year they have made a conscious decision since the reimagining initiative to avoid events in the Living Room. They have tried to use one side of Deck 11 outside or the side opposite the patio grill for events but yes it happens, there will be times where they will use the Drawing Room - this includes Best of the Best Dinner for top suites and religious services. The size of ship is such it hasn't got any other alternatives. The inside lounges are pretty well used all day unless it is a port day with lectures plus the entertainers have to rehearse, but the Cabaret Lounge can get used for the odd hour, particularly when most guests are ashore. It is also used for the Captain to hold larger crew communication sessions such as the day they were briefing large groups on the acquisition of Pursuits.

The other group who can take out the Library are immigration officials, the days before we arrived in Sri lanka and India, the library was used by immigration officers who had come onboard to review passports and if they wanted, to interview specific guests or crew

Edited by uktog
Part of the post disappeared!

Very rarely happens in my experience, much less than when we were on HAL. we’ve been on one cruise where there were a group of medics. Their meetings were all held in the Cabaret Lounge, which is not a room anyone would want to sit on during the day.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yes that is what I would expect, to use a room, eg Cabaret lounge, rather than so-called public areas. Using the latter means that they are public areas except when they are not.

I am sure that some people, probably those have no wish to sit relaxing for long periods,will not find this behaviour objectionable, but in our case, due to age/health problems, we are perforce obliged to spend much of our time sitting, and the standard cabins are not equipped for comfortable sitting for any length of time.

On our Quest cruise in April, we participated in two cocktail events hosted by a travel agency, both in the Drawing Room. The Meet and Mingle was held there as well, along with a cocktail hour for Perry Golf. We also had a Perry Golf dinner at the Patio one evening. There was also an LCV gathering but I can't recall where that was held because I forgot about it

I'm sure if you ask at Guest Services, they can tell you in advance when an area might be booked, and you can settle in one of the other areas rather than have to move out at a certain time.

We have found this practice on every cruise line we have sailed over the past 35 years. On some sailings it has been minor and on others disruptive. None of our cruises have been booked with the knowledge that there would be groups, large or small, onboard.

I hope you continue to sail in comfort.

We too have experienced this denial to certain areas on other cruise lines, but not multiple times on the same ship. Fully understand your concern.

You might like to read a post by Emperor Norton titled “From the cow kings to an Empress, Norton goes on a little Sojourn” on the Seabourn Forums. The cruise is current and there are several obstacles! The comments are often hilarious, so worth a read. Go to page 4, post no: 32 onwards.

I have to admit that I have never been affected by public areas closed for private functions. That's not to say it doesn't happen, but I think "habit" is too strong a word for it. The only cruise I can think of where this happened was on Windstar's Star Breeze and it happened to me a couple of times, but that was more to do with fewer public venues and timing one of those travel agent events at the same time as others around the ship in early evening.

Drawing Room is probably the most regular venue I've seen used. They have it for a few events like weddings and vow renewals, other religious services, not to mention a dinner in there once a cruise. I've seen them block only half off it they can do it. If they can leave it untouched and use say the Cabaret Lounge they will, but timing with rehearsals for the show and other events doesn't always allow. As I say though, habit is overstating the issue from what I've experienced.

Phil

Edited by excitedofharpenden

I use the word habit advisedly as it has happened at least twice on every Azamara cruise we've been on, and clearly from my last cruise, is getting to be a fixed habit, and given that, although we do use these areas frequently, we are not in both at the same time, and it is quite likely that they are used for private events when we are not trying to use them. I just feel that if these are public places on the ship, then they should be available for the use of all passengers, at least during 'normal' hours for relaxation.

It does happen. On two of our last three Azamara cruises we have been told (not requested) to leave the Living Room for private events. The bolshie in me took exception to this - we did leave but only after taking a very long time to finish our cocktails.

Having done dozens of Azamara cruises, I wouldn't call this a "habit" so "objectionable" seems a bit strong.

Now that I think of it, however, there was one time half of the very popular and much-loved Sunset Bar area was reserved for the Rijsttafel, but the reaction of other passengers was such that I've never seen it served there again. Thankfully. Even Philip appeared surprised that they had cordoned off that area.

It does happen. On two of our last three Azamara cruises we have been told (not requested) to leave the Living Room for private events. The bolshie in me took exception to this - we did leave but only after taking a very long time to finish our cocktails.

Good for you. If it happens to me on a future cruise I will definitely do the same, if not stage a protest.

Having done dozens of Azamara cruises, I wouldn't call this a "habit" so "objectionable" seems a bit strong.

Now that I think of it, however, there was one time half of the very popular and much-loved Sunset Bar area was reserved for the Rijsttafel, but the reaction of other passengers was such that I've never seen it served there again. Thankfully. Even Philip appeared surprised that they had cordoned off that area.

I’ve done the Rijsttafel there on Journey, but only the starboard side was used. I’ve also been to an LCV event there one evening at sailaway. Yes, I agree. Public areas do get used from time to time. Perhaps I’ve just been lucky or not using the areas in question. I’ve never heard complaints from any of my friends on the ship, but if you use the Drawing Room a lot you may notice it more.

Phil

OK, perhaps I should have used the term, 'objectionable practice', although habit does suggest frequently as in my experience.

PerhapsI should declare that I object to all the loyalty programs, despite having cruised many times, and in receipt of perks on different lines. I would prefer to see a straight cash discount incentive for loyal customers, thus ensuring that all cruisers, new or re-bookers, enjoyed the same on board cruise experience. I believe that this would lead to a more enjoyable atmosphere throughout ships.

OK, perhaps I should have used the term, 'objectionable practice', although habit does suggest frequently as in my experience.

PerhapsI should declare that I object to all the loyalty programs, despite having cruised many times, and in receipt of perks on different lines. I would prefer to see a straight cash discount incentive for loyal customers, thus ensuring that all cruisers, new or re-bookers, enjoyed the same on board cruise experience. I believe that this would lead to a more enjoyable atmosphere throughout ships.

Well, we've crossed the line from raising a pet peeve and/or trying to fix a problem – to a utopian attack on the entire cruising industry. So good luck with that. Me, I'm just happy they stopped the art auctions that used to clog up the forward lounge for days at a time.

One other issue, this one perhaps too close to home. I've been to several Cruise Critic Meet & Mingles in otherwise public areas that were closed to anyone but those of us invited to the event.

One other issue, this one perhaps too close to home. I've been to several Cruise Critic Meet & Mingles in otherwise public areas that were closed to anyone but those of us invited to the event.

They are now more often than not held in the Cabaret Lounge on the first evening at 6pm so it’s not an issue any longer. I haven’t been to one in Looking Glass (now Living Room) in ages.

Phil

The last M&M I attended was held in Aqualina, late afternoon as I recall... It was perfect. Some staff and officers were present (until their respective beepers sounded), there was plenty of room, and non-attendees were not impacted at all.

Well, we've crossed the line from raising a pet peeve and/or trying to fix a problem – to a utopian attack on the entire cruising industry. So good luck with that. Me, I'm just happy they stopped the art auctions that used to clog up the forward lounge for days at a time.

Fair comment JB, but the practice complained of apparently occurs as a direct result of loyalty programs, and definitely impinges on cruise enjoyment for non (or in my case unwilling) loyalty perk recipients.:(

In my experience closures of public rooms on Azamara have more often been either the Drawing Room for the Best of the Best dinner, which is nothing to do with LCV, its for those in the top Suites, and for meetings of groups who have booked through a particular organisation (e.g a group of medics on a cruise I was on) - again nothing to do with LCV.

I guess one of the problems of being on a smaller ship is that there are fewer areas for such events.

The Drawing room is also used for religious services and by immigration officials also not LCV related. Bottom line as other say its a smaller ship, parts will get closed but the cruise line will do all they can to minimise the disruption.

Sometimes the M&M is held in the living Room but the balance of that area is still open to the other passengers. Most times it's held in the Caberet, but at a time when it would not be scheduled for an open event. I have never been bothered by having rooms blocked off.