Drink Package and Pre-Paid Service Charges, are we getting DOUBLE CHARGED?!

klfhngr

Ok, I know we pay for gratuities and all that 'stuff' with the 'free' drink package. So, if we do the prepaid gratuities, I notice that it goes to everyone. So, aren't we paying DOUBLE since we're paying service fees on one end (drink package) and on the other end (pre-paid gratuities)?

Or am I missing something?!!

Ok, I know we pay for gratuities and all that 'stuff' with the 'free' drink package. So, if we do the prepaid gratuities, I notice that it goes to everyone. So, aren't we paying DOUBLE since we're paying service fees on one end (drink package) and on the other end (pre-paid gratuities)?

Or am I missing something?!!

If you did not have the drink package you would still be charged the DSC, 2 seperate things, just like if you added on the meal plan you would be charged tips on that as well

DSC covers "just" items included with your cruise fare (excluding Haven, which is a different story). Drink pkg you would pay for extra. If you bought drinks on board and paid for each one you'd be "tipping" (since tip is mandatory, I don't consider it a tip, I consider it a surcharge!) 18% or 20%, I forget which. Drink pkg and speciality restaurant pkg you are "tipping" on the value of the pkg, just like if you bought the individual items on board. Not double-dipping.

Ah, ok.. The disclaimer confused me, it says, '....This charge will be shared among those staff members, including the restaurant staff, stateroom stewards and other behind the scenes staff who provide services that.....'

What gets me is that the DSC goes in part to the dining room staff, but if you eat dinner in a specialty, why don't they direct that portion of the DSC to the specialty restaurant staff?

Ah, ok.. The disclaimer confused me, it says, '....This charge will be shared among those staff members, including the restaurant staff, stateroom stewards and other behind the scenes staff who provide services that.....'
They're not counting bartenders as restaurant staff. Afterall most bartenders on cruise ships don't work in restaurants - they're in lounges or bars.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

What gets me is that the DSC goes in part to the dining room staff, but if you eat dinner in a specialty, why don't they direct that portion of the DSC to the specialty restaurant staff?
Because the company decided not to penalize staff at the free restaurants for the customers cruises choice to offer specialty restaurants. Not to mention they often have those employees trying to talk you into going - would you do that knowing everyone profits but you lose when that happens? And most cruisers are so used to the extra tip on anything purchased extra they think nothing of it.

I also wonder if the specialty restaurants are where people are promoted to.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

The general DSC goes to your cabin attendant, waiters, ass't waiters and head waiters.

Drink package tips go to the bartenders who serve you.

Everyone who is supposed to be tipped, will be tipped. Nothing further is needed on your part.

The general DSC goes to your cabin attendant, waiters, ass't waiters and head waiters.

Drink package tips go to the bartenders who serve you.

Everyone who is supposed to be tipped, will be tipped. Nothing further is needed on your part.

Thank you! I'll still take some $2 bills to tip for exceptional service.

Why not...

I'm with Doug on this one.

The OP was worried that he may be tipping twice, then says he will take some cash so he can reward what he considers exceptional service, but isn't that tipping twice?

Because $2 bills are useless as a currency. You are just showing off.

I just spent a couple last week... One in New York City and another in Bermuda. I got them from my bank. Apparently someone forget to let PNC know they are useless as currency.

What a LAME comment! Useless?! Showing off?!

Most of the countries that I've traveled too, including cruises, the people for some reason LOVE $2 bills! Don't ask me why, but they do....

Do me a favor and go get $100 in $2 bills and give me the 'useless' cash!!! Ferrrrrrrrrrrr!

I'm with Doug on this one.

The OP was worried that he may be tipping twice, then says he will take some cash so he can reward what he considers exceptional service, but isn't that tipping twice?

It's for exceptional service... i.e., great service, interaction with guest, great attitude, etc... On my last cruise on Princess, the staff was MISERABLE! I missed the smiling faces and great attitude from my X cruise prior to that cruise. I don't mind tipping twice, I just didn't want to be forced into it (hence my original post)... But I get what you're saying...

Useless currency? I know someone who runs a business and people ask for the $2 bills when they see them in the drawer. To the younger generation they are unique. I think I have a couple fresh mint ones my grandma gave me in the early 70's. Still hanging on to them. Two dollars is two dollars.

Never heard of anyone saying American paper currency is worthless and showing off. News Flash. Two dollars is worth two dollars. Showing off would require something in the double or triple digits.

:o:confused:

Useless currency? I know someone who runs a business and people ask for the $2 bills when they see them in the drawer. To the younger generation they are unique. I think I have a couple fresh mint ones my grandma gave me in the early 70's. Still hanging on to them. Two dollars is two dollars.

Never heard of anyone saying American paper currency is worthless and showing off. News Flash. Two dollars is worth two dollars. Showing off would require something in the double or triple digits.

:o:confused:

Look at me, I'm a baller, showing off my useless $2 bills. :')