Live from the Voyager, R/T Venice:"long time, first time"

boblerm

Speaking of ship to airport transfer...

Bob and any others, what would be the earliest departure from Venice that I could safely expect to make? I am in the midst of generating my list of preferred flights in preparation for “deviation day” and my preferred flights tend to have earlier departures. I hope to leave fairly early in the day but don’t want to ask the impossible when I send my request to my TA.

###############################################################333

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We are using Regent Air and flying out of Venice on Saturday August 4. I requested something between 10-12.am. Nothing worked to get me back to Oklahoma so they booked as shown below

Depart at750am on BA 0599 to London (LHR) Arr 915am

We are using Regent Air and flying out of Venice on Saturday August 4. I requested something between 10-12.am. Nothing worked to get me back to Oklahoma so they booked as shown below

I see that you have an overnight in Venice August 3-4. So this is absolutely no problem to get to the airport for a 7:50 AM flight, (other than having to get up at an ungodly early hour), but once the ship clears on August 3, you can come and go as you please.

Looks like a great itinerary, have a wonderful time!

Edited by boblerm

Thank you for a wonderful "Live thread" of your Voyager cruise, this makes us even more excited to board the Voyager 13 of July for our first Regent cruise!

Winters Gate- we will be joining you for our first Regent experience. Cheers to a great cruise.

Edited by tulok
Name incorrect

Bob,

Thanks for your postings!

Peggy

Thank you for a wonderful "Live thread" of your Voyager cruise, this makes us even more excited to board the Voyager 13 of July for our first Regent cruise!

You are very welcome, I appreciate your following along.

Wow, that’s an early start. Has Regent given you any indication how they will get you to the airport?

We’ll be doing our deviation starting July 23 so won’t be able to benefit from your experience but will be interested in reading about your experience.

Wow, that’s an early start. Has Regent given you any indication how they will get you to the airport?

We’ll be doing our deviation starting July 23 so won’t be able to benefit from your experience but will be interested in reading about your experience.

We arrive in Venice the day before, so early morning flights are very feasible -- but it will require a "too early departure" from our relaxing ship :-(

Yes, we are booked on this cruise and absolutely stoked about meeting so many cc notables!

Hi Bob

So happy you will be aboard. This is the largest group from CC that I have seen. (And the Best of the best). Quite a while to wait but I know it will be worth it.

We are away this week but I will write for photo directions when we get back.

Regards

Sheila

A BA flight Venice/London counts as a European flight and not a flight to the US...even though you and your bags are headed for the USA from London. So check in would be 1 hour prior. Which I think makes it 0630 to be at the airport?? An early start indeed. But do-able especially since Regent is handling your transportation.

Bob and Sheila - the 2020 cruise might just break all records!!

Cruisealert, the bottom line is that if you are using Regent air and taking their transfers, they will tell you what time that your transfer will be. No sense in being too concerned about it at this point, rest assured that they will get you there on time. Just relax, and have a wonderful cruise!

Gerry and Sheila, I am so looking forward to meeting you on the Splendor!

Gerry and Sheila, I am so looking forward to meeting you on the Splendor!

And I look forward to meeting you and Gerry! Sheila and I have sailed together twice so we have met. Gerry and I have both been on CC for a long time but have not met. The Splendor 2020 cruise will be very special indeed!

Thank you so much for such an entertaining, informative post. We board the Voyager (for the first time!) in Venice on August 4th and unfortunately, your photos, missives, and insights have only made the time before we depart even longer! :)

And yes, I agree that you need to get back on another cruise ASAP so we can once again live vicariously through you!

RK

Thank you so much for such an entertaining, informative post. We board the Voyager (for the first time!) in Venice on August 4th and unfortunately, your photos, missives, and insights have only made the time before we depart even longer! :)

And yes, I agree that you need to get back on another cruise ASAP so we can once again live vicariously through you!

RK

Thank you RK, the Voyager is in fine shape, I'm sure you will have a fabulous cruise.

Thank you very much for your lovely blog! I've enjoyed it immensely. Today is one of the coldest days in the last three years here in Auckland, NZ (it is mid-winter of course!) , and I literally basked in the sun shining in your pictures, and my heart warmed up with the love you have for your wife and for life! I loved "re-visiting" places we've been to and "tasting" a couple of places we are yet (hopefully) to see! Thank you for sharing your fabulous trip with us! Thank you for being honest about the Regent experience! and.... thank you for making me hungry with all these fabulous pictures of your meals! :)

You are very welcome , and I greatly appreciate your kind comments. Visiting your neck of the woods is definitely on my bucket list, I'll have to make a mental note to avoid this time of the year.:)

Hope the climate improves for you soon!

Bob

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

I am so glad I found this thread, dear friends were on this cruise--I sent her the link. We were driving the coast of OR in our motor home during the time this was "live" I'm just on page 7 but had to comment. We were also on the Mariner with the fog sail in to Venice and 7 days in Padua while the Iceland volcano did its thing. Other than the uncertainty of everything, Regent did take good care of us. The bad thing was that they wanted us to stay close by the hotel in case the flights opened up.

You are very welcome , and I greatly appreciate your kind comments. Visiting your neck of the woods is definitely on my bucket list, I'll have to make a mental note to avoid this time of the year.:)

Hope the climate improves for you soon!

Bob

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

The best time to visit NZ is February/March. April- our fall - is spectacular in South Island. You will not regret if you get here! Did you know that NZ is Regent’s seventh largest market across the world (despite our total population being only 4.75 million people?!) and Regent has fabulous itineraries around NZ and Australia;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I am so glad I found this thread, dear friends were on this cruise--I sent her the link. We were driving the coast of OR in our motor home during the time this was "live" I'm just on page 7 but had to comment. We were also on the Mariner with the fog sail in to Venice and 7 days in Padua while the Iceland volcano did its thing. Other than the uncertainty of everything, Regent did take good care of us. The bad thing was that they wanted us to stay close by the hotel in case the flights opened up.

That was an "interesting"time. We were very fortunate in that we arrived in Venice just before the stuff hit the fan, and by the end of the cruise, we had no trouble flying out of Rome. But for people like you who were stuck in the middle, I imagine it would have been more than a tad stressful. We have some friends that were in London, visiting their daughter who was studying abroad, and had quite the story about thinking he had a flight home, going to the airport, having it cancelled, on and on. It's easy to say "just extend your holiday and have a good time," not so easy when you may have to pick up and leave at a moment's notice.

I'm glad to hear the you felt well taken care of by Regent, I believe Gerry (Hambgahle), who was on the same cruise as you said much the same about other's experiences. Reassuring.

Using Regent's air deviation program, we were able to secure our first choice of flights, which is a non-stop, JFK to Venice leaving at 9 tonight.

The pre-cruise hotel that Regent uses in Venice is the Hilton Molino Stucky. This is not likely a hotel I would have chosen if I were visiting Venice on my own. While it gets excellent reviews, it does not appear to be very convenient for touring Venice. It is located on the island of Giudecca. From what I can gather, Giudecca is notable for the following:

1) The Hilton Molino Stucky Hotel

2) ......um......there doesn't seem to be a number 2. At least a perusal through Rick Steeves' Guide to Venice for "things to see and do in Giudecca has proven to be a fruitless exercise. From what I understand, there is a shuttle that runs from the hotel to San Marco for a "nominal fee". We'll see how it goes, I'm sure it will be fine.

Bob

Giudecca is a short ride on a classic Venetian wooden launch or vaporetto to Piazza San Marco and a very interesting island itself. It is the site of the ancient Jewish Settlement ans cemetary. The Hotel Cipriani is also located there and very much worth a visit.

Giudecca is a short ride on a classic Venetian wooden launch or vaporetto to Piazza San Marco and a very interesting island itself. It is the site of the ancient Jewish Settlement ans cemetary. The Hotel Cipriani is also located there and very much worth a visit.

We did end up enjoying our stay at the Hilton and on Giudecca. I was not aware of the Jewish Settlement and Cemetery, it was not on the walking tour that I had. Perhaps another visit is in order......;)

Thanks so, so much for your play by play of the cruise. We are on a somewhat similar itinerary on Voyager 0920 and especially appreciate the insights on dining and the Adriatic ports.

Question to ask: We're hoping to have 1 of the port days hopefully as an easy going beach day. Which port do you think would be best? Corfu, Kotor, Split or Koeper?

Thanks so, so much for your play by play of the cruise. We are on a somewhat similar itinerary on Voyager 0920 and especially appreciate the insights on dining and the Adriatic ports.

Question to ask: We're hoping to have 1 of the port days hopefully as an easy going beach day. Which port do you think would be best? Corfu, Kotor, Split or Koeper?

I can't be of much help making specific recommendations as to beaches to visit in these ports, as we did not visit any beaches and, quite frankly, in our travels did not come upon any beaches that looked particularly tempting.

However, a few things to think about in making this decision-

Have you been to any of these 4 ports before ? If not, I can say that for us, Kotor, Split and Koper offer pretty spectacular touring opportunities, not that Corfu is unappealing,but of those 4, if I had to pick one for any easy going day, it would be Corfu.

Also, I might recommend visiting the Ports of Call section of the Cruise Critic boards. Under "Europe", there are 2 subsections, Corfu obviously would be covered under "Greece Ports", the other 3 under "Other Mediterranean Ports". If you post a question about beaches in the ports that you are interested in, you are likely to get some good insights.

Good luck, I'm sure you will have a great cruise.

Corfu has gorgeous beaches, I’m not familiar with the Regent excursions, but I know it’s easy to arrange a taxi in Corfu if necessary. Kotor has a small beach restaurant that rents loungers a block away from the dock. But the beach is not sandy, it’s limestone. Not sure if you have specific excursion in mind or are going to diy.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums