how to know if the port will be crowded

Travmom

I booked an Aug 2019 British Isles cruise. Do you think the those ports for would be just as crowed? I don't like huge crowds. Am I better off on a land based tour, where you are more in the center of a country vs an outer edged port? Sometimes your not in port long enough to get too far into a country. New to cruising so not much experience.

I booked an Aug 2019 British Isles cruise. Do you think the those ports for would be just as crowed? I don't like huge crowds. Am I better off on a land based tour, where you are more in the center of a country vs an outer edged port? Sometimes your not in port long enough to get too far into a country. New to cruising so not much experience.

Unfortunately it is impossible to answer your question without knowing what ports you visit, which ship (mega or small) and how many other ships in port at the same time. Using the information provided earlier in this thread you can find out what ships are in port.

However, cruise ships may only be a small proportion of the total tourists.

The other consideration is the size of the country. If docking in Edinburgh, Glasgow on the opposite coast is only 40 miles away. Basically, in August you will find all tourist areas are busy, regardless if they are land based or port based.

Enjoy your cruise.

It is what it is....the ports don't allow more than they can handle. No real worries!

What a joke, at least in practice. The port authorities are concerned with the number of berths, not how many people crowd into the towns around the ports. If you plan on staying in town then, there might be a worry, but if you get out of town it is not a problem.

People claim that Santorini is crowded, and that is simply not true, what is crowded is the cable car. Once you get to the top of the hill Santorini is lovely even with 10 - 12 ships in port.

Most other places are the same.

What a joke, at least in practice. The port authorities are concerned with the number of berths, not how many people crowd into the towns around the ports. If you plan on staying in town then, there might be a worry, but if you get out of town it is not a problem.

People claim that Santorini is crowded, and that is simply not true, what is crowded is the cable car. Once you get to the top of the hill Santorini is lovely even with 10 - 12 ships in port.

Most other places are the same.

As I posted, that cable car only has a capacity of 600 persons per hour (in each direction). If there were only 3 ships with 10,000 souls it would take nearly 15 hours just to get all those folks down to the tender pier. And therein lies one of the worst congestion problems in all the cruise world. We have been to that port about 8 times and recall only once when our ship was able to depart on time. Another issue in Santorini is the public bus that runs between Fira and Oia. There is only one bus every 45-60 min and that bus cannot hold more than about 60. So you have a few hundred souls in Oia...all trying to get back to Fira (so they can wait in the queue for the cable car) it becomes a real panic situation. And Fira can certainly become overcrowded with cruisers. But you are right that the remainder of the island outside of Fira and Oia and not crowded :).

Hank

Unfortunately it is impossible to answer your question without knowing what ports you visit, which ship (mega or small) and how many other ships in port at the same time. Using the information provided earlier in this thread you can find out what ships are in port.

However, cruise ships may only be a small proportion of the total tourists.

The other consideration is the size of the country. If docking in Edinburgh, Glasgow on the opposite coast is only 40 miles away. Basically, in August you will find all tourist areas are busy, regardless if they are land based or port based.

Enjoy your cruise.

Its on the Princess Crown, stopping in Southampton, Dublin, Cork, Belfast, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Kirkwall, LeHarve. I think that's all of them. I don't think there are many other ships in port with us. I guess I was thinking though if most of the passengers get off the ship in a port, then doesn't it make for a crowed experience at the port areas. Whereas if you fly into country and have time to spend there you can move to the towns more toward the middle of that country away from the ports or the crowds? The pros of cruising though are that you can reach more countries and get a "taste" of them.

I agree with you. CB just spits out these stock answers again and again not really knowing or caring whether or not they are true. Very annoying to say the least. New cruisers take heed! :D

87 THOUSAND posts and most are just ones to add to his(her) post count form the looks of it. :rolleyes:

As I posted, that cable car only has a capacity of 600 persons per hour (in each direction). If there were only 3 ships with 10,000 souls it would take nearly 15 hours just to get all those folks down to the tender pier. And therein lies one of the worst congestion problems in all the cruise world. We have been to that port about 8 times and recall only once when our ship was able to depart on time. Another issue in Santorini is the public bus that runs between Fira and Oia. There is only one bus every 45-60 min and that bus cannot hold more than about 60. So you have a few hundred souls in Oia...all trying to get back to Fira (so they can wait in the queue for the cable car) it becomes a real panic situation. And Fira can certainly become overcrowded with cruisers. But you are right that the remainder of the island outside of Fira and Oia and not crowded :).

Hank

Thanks for explaining the issue with just one port. My last time there I did a ship's excursion to Oia and there were so many people there, there was no way I could get in front to get the famous photo of the buildings and the water. Back in Fira I decided to spend just 30 minutes before taking cable car down. Had to wait in line just 45 minutes! Don't want to think what it would have been a few hours later. This was with ships with just over 5000 passengers in port that day.

I've seen references to check to see what other ships will be in port the same day as your ship. How do I do this?

For example I am looking at a cruise that has us in Civitavecchia (Rome) on May 15. Is there a website I need to check? Thank you.:cool:

So yes, I was trying to determine how crowded it might be when we visit some of the Greek Islsnds. Thanks to those who posted the time tables. I was able to learn that we will be in Santorini with only one other smaller ship. It will make a difference for us in determining if we need an excursion or can wing it on our own in some of the smaller places we will be visiting (Santorini, Mykonos, Dubrovnik, Argostoli and Kotor). Thanks again.

Thanks for explaining the issue with just one port. My last time there I did a ship's excursion to Oia and there were so many people there, there was no way I could get in front to get the famous photo of the buildings and the water. Back in Fira I decided to spend just 30 minutes before taking cable car down. Had to wait in line just 45 minutes! Don't want to think what it would have been a few hours later. This was with ships with just over 5000 passengers in port that day.

DW considers Santorini one of her favorite places in Europe (Paris is her favorite). When we started cruising to Santorini in the 70s there was generally only one ship at the anchorage and the ships in those days were somewhat smaller then many vessels today. But the Cable Car has never changed :). It is a huge problem for the ships and most will quietly station a staffer at the top cable car station with a radio..to let the Bridge know the situation with their passengers. It is a given that cruise ships will not leave as long as they have folks waiting in the queue.

Sadly, as long time (over forty years) cruisers and frequent land travelers...we have watched many popular places in Europe (and the Caribbean) being ruined by too many cruisers and ships. It is now a real dilemma for several European governments...especially in Greece and Italy. Venice is the only place that has squarely faced the issue and there some major demonstrations (and port blockades) to bring attention to their problem. We do think that La Spezia will be the next test for the will of the People. There are over 6000 Greek Island and we are told that about 227 are inhabited. Of those, there are a number of islands that can handle cruise ships, especially if they tender. But Santorini and Mykonos seem to bear the brunt of the cruise industry. Perhaps Greece and the cruise lines need to discuss about how to better spread out the cruise visits.

Hank

Thanks for posting this link. Not only is it helpful for cruisers it is also of benefit to land-based travelers who want to avoid cruise ship crowds.

Excellent point. Land travelers need to know when thousands of people will descend upon their “peaceful” getaway. We always spent a couple of weeks on St. Maarten in January- and were careful to plan how to avoid the impact of heavy cruise days. There were days when six or so ships would unload 21,000 to 22,000 passengers at Philipsburg in the course of an hour or so in the morning - more than doubling the local population instantly in the town and sending fleets of busses, taxis and rental cars to all points, clogging roads as well as towns.

The rule was : shelter in place.

Oia was wall-to-wall people when we were there. Just getting from the bus park to the top was a challenge as the streets are so narrow. It didn't help that some members of a big group coming down the hill were impatient, trying to jam their way through the middle. I got shoved into a wall by one idiot.

So yes, I was trying to determine how crowded it might be when we visit some of the Greek Islsnds. Thanks to those who posted the time tables. I was able to learn that we will be in Santorini with only one other smaller ship. It will make a difference for us in determining if we need an excursion or can wing it on our own in some of the smaller places we will be visiting (Santorini, Mykonos, Dubrovnik, Argostoli and Kotor). Thanks again.

Mykonos was surprisingly quiet after lunch, even with two big ships in port. We did an excursion to Delos (one of the highlights of our cruise) in the morning then had an awesome lunch near the ferry wharf on Mykonos then spent a couple of hours wandering the laneways.

Sadly, as long time (over forty years) cruisers and frequent land travelers...we have watched many popular places in Europe (and the Caribbean) being ruined by too many cruisers and ships. It is now a real dilemma for several European governments...especially in Greece and Italy. Venice is the only place that has squarely faced the issue and there some major demonstrations (and port blockades) to bring attention to their problem. We do think that La Spezia will be the next test for the will of the People. There are over 6000 Greek Island and we are told that about 227 are inhabited. Of those, there are a number of islands that can handle cruise ships, especially if they tender. But Santorini and Mykonos seem to bear the brunt of the cruise industry. Perhaps Greece and the cruise lines need to discuss about how to better spread out the cruise visits.

Hank

Part of the issue is that many cruise lines are building mega-ships these days. So what would have been OK with a number of ships holding 2000 passengers each becomes unpleasantly crowded when those ships hold 4000 or more passengers each.

The ports are probably going to do the hard work to limit the number of visitors. I suspect the cruise lines won't as they want to be able to offer itineraries that include popular places because those are where their passengers think they want to visit.

Interestingly I was looking at the Med. itineraries a while back, of one of the cruise lines that doesn't have mega-ships, so could possibly go to smaller ports, but their itineraries were the same-old-same-old regular ports.

Part of the issue is that many cruise lines are building mega-ships these days. So what would have been OK with a number of ships holding 2000 passengers each becomes unpleasantly crowded when those ships hold 4000 or more passengers each.

The ports are probably going to do the hard work to limit the number of visitors. I suspect the cruise lines won't as they want to be able to offer itineraries that include popular places because those are where their passengers think they want to visit.

Interestingly I was looking at the Med. itineraries a while back, of one of the cruise lines that doesn't have mega-ships, so could possibly go to smaller ports, but their itineraries were the same-old-same-old regular ports.

A few years ago we booked a small yacht cruise with a Greek company called Zeus Cruises (long out of business). Our boat held 20 passengers (8 German, 10 Dutch, and we 2 Americans) and spent a week cruising the Ionian Islands. Our embarkation port was Corfu which was the only island that hosts cruise ships. All of our other stops were at small and wonderful tiny Greek Islands like Paxos. These kind of small boat cruises are about the only way to escape large cruise ships if one wants to stay on the water. Zeus Cruises has since become part of Variety Cruises which continues similar adventures.

Hank

A few years ago we booked a small yacht cruise with a Greek company called Zeus Cruises (long out of business). Our boat held 20 passengers (8 German, 10 Dutch, and we 2 Americans) and spent a week cruising the Ionian Islands. Our embarkation port was Corfu which was the only island that hosts cruise ships. All of our other stops were at small and wonderful tiny Greek Islands like Paxos. These kind of small boat cruises are about the only way to escape large cruise ships if one wants to stay on the water. Zeus Cruises has since become part of Variety Cruises which continues similar adventures.

Hank

That sounds wonderful. A regular Aussie CC member was doing a small ship Dalmation Coast cruise. Haven't heard how it went yet but the itinerary sounded wonderful.

I'd loved to do more Med. cruises, especially on smaller ships, but it's such a long way from Australia. The flights are brutal. :(

Its on the Princess Crown, stopping in Southampton, Dublin, Cork, Belfast, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Kirkwall, LeHarve. I think that's all of them. I don't think there are many other ships in port with us. I guess I was thinking though if most of the passengers get off the ship in a port, then doesn't it make for a crowed experience at the port areas. Whereas if you fly into country and have time to spend there you can move to the towns more toward the middle of that country away from the ports or the crowds? The pros of cruising though are that you can reach more countries and get a "taste" of them.

Southampton - Mostly a TAR port, so most pax are either arriving or departing. Lots of attractions fairly close - Stonehenge, Portsmouth, Hamble, New Forest, Winchester, etc It is a busy city, but cruise ships don't add to the congestion. Some amazing pubs in Southampton, New Forest & Hamble.

Dublin - You will most likely dock outside the city & Princess will provide shuttles downtown. They have 3 companies offering Ho-Ho buses. Pick one that gives the best deal. If staying in Dublin, the Guinness Factory is a popular stop on the Ho-Ho bus. Out of town you can visit Waterford Crystal. Cruise ships normally don't cause worse congestion in downtown Dublin - it's already a busy city.

Cobh - The floating pontoon only handles 1 ship, so no worries about congestion. Great little town with a cathedral and pubs, sorry lots of pubs. Interesting Titanic walking tours are available. Outside town you can visit Cork, Blarney Castle & Waterford Crystal.

Edinburgh - I believe most Princess ships anchor off Queenferry, close to the Forth Road Bridge. You are about 10 mls from Princess St in Edinburgh. Edinburgh is a tourist mecca, so cruise ship pax are a small percentage of total tourists. Lots of thing to do in Edinburgh. Outside town you have the Falkirk Wheel, St Andrews (home of golf), Rosslyn Chapel, etc.

Glasgow - You will most likely dock at Greenock, which has limited cruise ship space. Again lots to do - head down the coast to Troon/Prestwick, North to Loch Lommond and Fort William, or into Glasgow. We were picked up our niece and drove into Glasgow for lunch at Ibrox Stadium, my favourite football team.

Kirkwall - actually one of the few ports I haven't visited, but doubt they will have more than 1 ship

Le Havre - Could be lots of ships in, but pax have lots of options - Paris and Normandy beaches. One visit we went to Hornfleur, a small picturesque fishing village/town close to Le Havre.

Southampton - Mostly a TAR port, so most pax are either arriving or departing. Lots of attractions fairly close - Stonehenge, Portsmouth, Hamble, New Forest, Winchester, etc It is a busy city, but cruise ships don't add to the congestion. Some amazing pubs in Southampton, New Forest & Hamble.

Dublin - You will most likely dock outside the city & Princess will provide shuttles downtown. They have 3 companies offering Ho-Ho buses. Pick one that gives the best deal. If staying in Dublin, the Guinness Factory is a popular stop on the Ho-Ho bus. Out of town you can visit Waterford Crystal. Cruise ships normally don't cause worse congestion in downtown Dublin - it's already a busy city.

Cobh - The floating pontoon only handles 1 ship, so no worries about congestion. Great little town with a cathedral and pubs, sorry lots of pubs. Interesting Titanic walking tours are available. Outside town you can visit Cork, Blarney Castle & Waterford Crystal.

Edinburgh - I believe most Princess ships anchor off Queenferry, close to the Forth Road Bridge. You are about 10 mls from Princess St in Edinburgh. Edinburgh is a tourist mecca, so cruise ship pax are a small percentage of total tourists. Lots of thing to do in Edinburgh. Outside town you have the Falkirk Wheel, St Andrews (home of golf), Rosslyn Chapel, etc.

Glasgow - You will most likely dock at Greenock, which has limited cruise ship space. Again lots to do - head down the coast to Troon/Prestwick, North to Loch Lommond and Fort William, or into Glasgow. We were picked up our niece and drove into Glasgow for lunch at Ibrox Stadium, my favourite football team.

Kirkwall - actually one of the few ports I haven't visited, but doubt they will have more than 1 ship

Le Havre - Could be lots of ships in, but pax have lots of options - Paris and Normandy beaches. One visit we went to Hornfleur, a small picturesque fishing village/town close to Le Havre.

Thank you for the informative reply.:D Did you feel that you got a good "feel" for the countries even though you were there for a short time?

Thank you for the informative reply.:D Did you feel that you got a good "feel" for the countries even though you were there for a short time?

I will venture an answer which is simply, No! If you want to get a "feel" for any country you need to spend some significant time traveling within the country. A cruise gives you a "snapshot." Consider that much of European culture is contained in each region's unique cuisine and wine. On most cruisers you will likely not get to enjoy dinner in most countries and, if you take cruise line excursions you will not generally get to enjoy a real long lunch. Argh!

Hank

I will venture an answer which is simply, No! If you want to get a "feel" for any country you need to spend some significant time traveling within the country. A cruise gives you a "snapshot." Consider that much of European culture is contained in each region's unique cuisine and wine. On most cruisers you will likely not get to enjoy dinner in most countries and, if you take cruise line excursions you will not generally get to enjoy a real long lunch. Argh!

Hank

Too bad the cruise ships don't dock at a specific country for a few days. For me, like 3-4 days in Ireland and then 3-4 days in Scotland or England :D

Too bad the cruise ships don't dock at a specific country for a few days. For me, like 3-4 days in Ireland and then 3-4 days in Scotland or England :D

This is why you should check out the many ferry lines (some with comfortable cabins for overnight on longer crossings) which connect the UK to Ireland, France, Spain and Holland, and which criss-cross the Mediterranean and Aegean Seas - build your own itinerary with land stops so you can overnight in, and get a real sense of, your ports of call.

The cruise lines don't make as much money if you are eating and drinking ashore. Secondly, cruising is a mode of travel that favors the less adventuresome and more dependent who need to bring their floating accommodations and North American dining with them. In some locations that lack suitable infrastructure or where distances between ports is great it can make some sense but IMO the UK/Ireland is not one of them. The only port on your itinerary where a cruise does make sense is Kirkwall. The rest of them are easy to get to by other transportation modes.

Pretty unrealistic. Might as well just do a land tour. And we just completed a 3 week land tour, mostly Austria, a little of southern Germany.

3 or 4 days might work in a major city like London (which is a good distance from the port) or Dublin, but overnight would be plenty for most of the rest of the possibilities.

And, of course, while your ship is tied up for 3 or 4 days, no other ship can use that space.

One reason that I always check the embarkation port for how many ships due in that day is because we (and many others) arrive the night before and need a hotel room, hopefully something fairly close to the port. Ports like Ft. Lauderdale can have 6 or 7 ships....with an average of 3,000 passengers on most large ships, that's 18,000-21,000 people potentially needing hotel rooms. I definitely want to book one asap in that case!