Airport transfers without using Regent air package?

aungrl

Does anyone know if we can purchase air transfers upon disembarkation from the ship to the airport if we are NOT using Regent’s air package? Specifically, we’re disembarking in Seward after an Alaska voyage (embarking in Vancouver), and flying out of Anchorage. I’m planning to make our own air arrangements, with a combination of miles and purchasing, primarily because I’m doing a complicated routing on the return to avoid a red eye back to the east coast. So, given that it’s a long distance from Seward to Anchorage, I’d prefer to utilize Regent transfers rather than doing the one-way car rental - (bus and train schedules don’t work). I can’t find anything specifically about this on Regent’s website, and can’t talk to my agent for a couple of days, so thought I’d shoot it out there and see if one of the resident Regent experts might know the answer. Thanks in advance!

I do not know specifically about Alaska, but I have been able to book on the ship a transfer to Airport wit no problem. However, as you know it is a very long way from Seward to Anchorage airport and almost all passenger will be taking the bus because of scheduling, might be capacity problematic, but I don't think so.

J

Does anyone know if we can purchase air transfers upon disembarkation from the ship to the airport if we are NOT using Regent’s air package? Specifically, we’re disembarking in Seward after an Alaska voyage (embarking in Vancouver), and flying out of Anchorage. I’m planning to make our own air arrangements, with a combination of miles and purchasing, primarily because I’m doing a complicated routing on the return to avoid a red eye back to the east coast. So, given that it’s a long distance from Seward to Anchorage, I’d prefer to utilize Regent transfers rather than doing the one-way car rental - (bus and train schedules don’t work). I can’t find anything specifically about this on Regent’s website, and can’t talk to my agent for a couple of days, so thought I’d shoot it out there and see if one of the resident Regent experts might know the answer. Thanks in advance!

Shouldn't be a problem so long as your schedule has enough flexibility to match the Regent time frame.

It has been my experience (31 Regent cruises) that Regent transfers are double if not triple the price than if you do it yourself. You certainly can use Regent transfers but I would check with other companies so that you can compare them to what you would pay onboard. After checking other companies, you can still sign up for a Regent transfer if you wish. In my opinion, it is better to know your options.

Enjoy your Alaska cruise!

It has been my experience (31 Regent cruises) that Regent transfers are double if not triple the price than if you do it yourself. You certainly can use Regent transfers but I would check with other companies so that you can compare them to what you would pay onboard. After checking other companies, you can still sign up for a Regent transfer if you wish. In my opinion, it is better to know your options.

Enjoy your Alaska cruise!

Thanks, TC2. I was wondering about that....I’m sure it’s super-expensive to do it via Regent. The only thing I’ve been able to rule out is the bus/train, due to schedules, and the only thing I’ve had time to check into is a one-way car rental, which is about $350. As time allows, it sounds like I should check into other car service/private car-type transportation options, to see how that compares to a.) the rental car price, and b.) whatever Regent transfer price ends up being. If you’ve ever done something like this in Alaska, any further guidance is much appreciated!

Earlier this year we disembarked Seven Seas Mariner in Seward and had purchased the Regent transfer to the airport in Anchorage while onboard. As I recall it was $129 per person -- not totally unreasonable for the long trip to the airport. The luggage went by truck and was waiting for us at the airport. It all worked out very smoothly without any hassles. :)

Remember that a car service maybe a little more but it is a nice way to go to the airport. If your getting off the ship, people are getting on the ship for the next cruise. A car service company that brings those people to the ship need to get back to Anchorage. I recall when we took a cruise out of Rome, we took a car service for about 1/2 of what Regent wanted for two people. It cost surprised us and it was much more comfortable than a bus. I just saying it's always better to get it out.

Remember that a car service maybe a little more but it is a nice way to go to the airport. If your getting off the ship, people are getting on the ship for the next cruise. A car service company that brings those people to the ship need to get back to Anchorage. I recall when we took a cruise out of Rome, we took a car service for about 1/2 of what Regent wanted for two people. It cost surprised us and it was much more comfortable than a bus. I just saying it's always better to get it out.

Now that’s an interesting thought. I hadn’t considered trying to capitalize on the reverse trip for people coming rom ANC to the port. That’s a great idea. Any guidance on how you found the company you used in Rome would be useful, I’m sure. I guess the way I’d start is just to search for Anchorage-based car services, and start to inquire?

I just did a quick check for transportation from Seward cruise port to Anchorage airport. Based on what I'm seeing, it is better to book online - in advance as they do become full. As expected the prices are quite a bit less than Regent's.

While I'm not a bus person in general, I do like buses (or trains) in Alaska as you are sitting up high and can see more. Also, there are buses with narration so you aren't just sitting there in silence. Taking a bus in Alaska is a completely different experience than other places in the world. Here is a link to a company with good rates and a very good rating by TripAdvisor (Cruise Critics sister company). https://alaskacruisetransfer.com/rates/

There are certainly other companies with vans (which can be uncomfortable if they are full) and private transfers.

I would try UBER. you can check the price ahead of time and book a driver. In Canada, UK, France, Belgium we have found UBER to be 25% of the normal cost of a Taxi. I am using UBER next week in Boston Logan to Portsmouth, NH about 70 miles is $98.00 the rental car from Hertz plus tolls & parking in Portsmouth is $676.00 62 cruises and counting, first one coming up on the 16th of July with Regent to the Baltic area. we are very excited.

We are doing a one way car rental from Seward to Anchorage. Expensive, yes, but about the same as if we booked transfers for two people, and we have the flexibility to do what we want on the way.

That’s what we did.

Sheila

That’s what I was originally planning on doing, as well, but after talking to Hertz, thought I’d at least explore other options. I did learn that the transfers via Regent are $120/person. We’re still far enough out that it’s unclear as to what the schedule would be for those transfers - the flight I’m planning to book out of ANC doesn’t depart until 4 p.m., so the rental car might end up being the most expensive, but also the most flexible, of all the options.

Now Anchorage to Seward is quite a distance, which makes this question a bit of a problem. Usually, when the distance from the airport to the port is not that far, we book a hotel on night 1 near the port. For air to a Regent cruise, we book our own as theirs is economy, and neither of us will fly in those cramped seats anymore. We used to do so, but economy seats have shrunk, and we have grown older! The last time we took a Regent (then Radisson) cruise where we had to fly to Achorage then get to Seward, all had to get their own air, but then Regent (then Radisson) provided the Anchorage hotel and bus transport to Seward via a vey uncrowded bus, and it was a nice trip. The year was 2002. Apparently the "deal" is not like that anymore, So all I can say is the views one gets from sitting high on the bus are worth something, even though I dislike busses in general. It was a good part of the trip, in and of itself.