When does HAL assign guarantee cabins?

CineGraphic

Now the ship is showing that it is sold out, what does that mean to us?
If you mean how does the ship being sold out affect the timing of your assignment, in our experience it means nothing. We were once on a cruise that was sold out 4 months before sailing and we still got our assignment 11 days out. Before they get around to doing assignments for your cruise they've got to take care of all the cruises preceding yours.
  • Like 1

If you mean how does the ship being sold out affect the timing of your assignment, in our experience it means nothing. We were once on a cruise that was sold out 4 months before sailing and we still got our assignment 11 days out. Before they get around to doing assignments for your cruise they've got to take care of all the cruises preceding yours.
\

Even on a Sold Out cruise you can still get an upsell offer. We did in March, 4 days prior to sailing, to a Neptune suite. It seems that they had a last minute cancellations and they put it up for grabs.

Since I booked through a HAL PCC, I got the email DIRECTLY and grabbed it within 3 minutes of getting it. Our tablemates got the same offer via their TA, and immediately tried to get it, but of course it was too late. To me, that is one advantage of booking through HAL directly, and I use it on almost every cruise. Getting in the upsell process early also helps in getting the better located cabins IMO, as most times I have been able to select from a list of open cabins.

Even on a Sold Out cruise you can still get an upsell offer.... It seems that they had a last minute cancellations and they put it up for grabs.
Sure. Sold Out just means that the total capacity (chosen+guarantees) has been reached, and plenty of upsells and free upgrades take place after that from over-sold lower levels to under-sold upper levels. On the Sold Out cruise I just mentioned where we got our assignment 11 days out, we got re-assigned (free) many steps higher at 3 days out, and I think we were the beneficiaries of a late cancellation. Edited by catl331

Thank you, they are now showing cabins available. Hard to figure what is happening.

HAL will sometimes show a cruise as being "SOLD OUT" while working on putting guarantees in cabins. Once they do the upgrades, cabins become available again.

Thank you, they are now showing cabins available. Hard to figure what is happening.

Another reason is that agencies that hold blocks of cabins for group sales return unsold cabins into inventory.

Sent from my iPhone while I probably should be working.

• 1 year later...

So I am guarantee Neptune suite and we sail on the 19th of this month. Today my luggage tags printed with priority but no cabin number.  Are they okay to use or will my luggage get lost? Should i try to reprint  on Wednesday am before we leave for Florida?

• Like 1

Your cabin should be assigned any time now; it frequently comes at about 10 days before, but can also come closer to sailing. 
No need to use more paper and ink. You can just write in the cabin number when you do know it. Or, have the porters look it up when you turn your luggage over to be loaded on the ship. 

I find the worthwhile upsells are after room assignment. I was upgraded from inside guarantee to an oceanview, but it was under the BB King’s lounge, so I was happy to pay $50 pp for a verandah, especially for 7 days at sea to Hawaii.

On 7/5/2018 at 7:33 AM, boards said:

Normal for HAL - they often close out categories while they are doing Inventory Management, such as offering upsells or assigning guarantees

• 2 years later...
On 7/2/2018 at 11:45 AM, sail7seas said:

You may not know for sure your cabin number unt il you chec k in at the pier.

Which is absolutely crazy IMO. I've never been one who liked to throw the dice..

Edited by KroozNut

• 1 year later...
19 minutes ago, Giggleypuff said:

I bought a guaranteed ocean view for an April 30 sailing. It’s April 24 and still no room assigned. 

At this point, I wouldn't hold your breath hoping/thinking that you will assigned a cabin until you arrive at the cruise terminal at check-in.

• 7 months later...

Just to give a more recent update to the guarantee cabin assignment with HAL, they have been very late to assign us a cabin on the last few cruises. So while we booked our cruise month's ago, we are one week + one day from sailing on the Kdam and we still have no assignment. We are 5 star Mariners although I don't believe that has anything to do with our cabin assignment, our friends who are joining us on their very first HAL cruise are also in the same predicament. On our last HAL cruise, we didn't get assigned until 3 days before embarkation. We were hopeful they would put us in an upgraded cabin since the price we paid for the cruise was more than they were charging a couple weeks before sail dare. Sadly, on our last cruise after paying more the empty cabins that they were trying to sell, we were assigned the lowest cabin category. Was a real insult, especially since we are loyal 5 star Mariners and paid more then the going rate. To top it off, our cabin had all sorts of problems which inevitably got us moved after 3 hrs at Guest Services over the course of 2 days.

15 minutes ago, trishbk said:

Just to give a more recent update to the guarantee cabin assignment with HAL, they have been very late to assign us a cabin on the last few cruises. So while we booked our cruise month's ago, we are one week + one day from sailing on the Kdam and we still have no assignment. We are 5 star Mariners although I don't believe that has anything to do with our cabin assignment, our friends who are joining us on their very first HAL cruise are also in the same predicament. On our last HAL cruise, we didn't get assigned until 3 days before embarkation. We were hopeful they would put us in an upgraded cabin since the price we paid for the cruise was more than they were charging a couple weeks before sail dare. Sadly, on our last cruise after paying more the empty cabins that they were trying to sell, we were assigned the lowest cabin category. Was a real insult, especially since we are loyal 5 star Mariners and paid more then the going rate. To top it off, our cabin had all sorts of problems which inevitably got us moved after 3 hrs at Guest Services over the course of 2 days.

What type of cabin? Inside, Oceanview, Veranda, Vista, Signature Suite, Neptune? We have a Guaranteed Vista so trying to manage our expectations. Thanks.

5 minutes ago, Bruinboy said:

What type of cabin? Inside, Oceanview, Veranda, Vista, Signature Suite, Neptune? We have a Guaranteed Vista so trying to manage our expectations. Thanks.

Insides and Verandahs. Oh and by the way, as I was typing this, we just got assigned our VE verandah cabin for the Dec 5 sailing on Kdam. Fortunately, when the price dropped right after final payment,I was able to nudge our TA to get us moved from a regular guaranteed verandah (which could have been obstructed) to a VE guarantee. Our cabin assignment for next week is a VD on deck 5. I am ok with it albeit only a one category upgrade for a Mariner with just shy of 500 actual days on HAL.

2 hours ago, trishbk said:

Insides and Verandahs. Oh and by the way, as I was typing this, we just got assigned our VE verandah cabin for the Dec 5 sailing on Kdam. Fortunately, when the price dropped right after final payment,I was able to nudge our TA to get us moved from a regular guaranteed verandah (which could have been obstructed) to a VE guarantee. Our cabin assignment for next week is a VD on deck 5. I am ok with it albeit only a one category upgrade for a Mariner with just shy of 500 actual days on HAL.

6 days prior is not late. They can assign GTY bookings at the pier!