Canada & New England, Montreal to Boston Port Activities

AtlFolks

Greetings Fellow Cruisers -

Looking for recommendations for highlights in each port. Trying to piece together a self-guided touring plan that does not include any bookings through the cruise line.

We are late 40's travelling with older teen boys.

Thank you for your thoughts and ideas.

I suggest going to the Port section of this board - there is a whole section just for New England and Canada. I just did this cruise and there is a lot to do! Every port is great for just walking around the port area, but we did a mix of private tours and ship tours.

In Bar Harbor look for the free 'Island Explorer' shuttle that will take you through the park, but has lots of options for hiking too. If you stay in Halifax, there are some good museums right there where you dock and then up at the Citadel is pretty cool too. In Sydney we went to Beddeck to the Bell museum... it was a long trip, but we liked getting out of the area of the port since we'd been there before. Quebec and Montreal are fun just to walk around the old city... amazing to see the old buildings.

Have a great time!

PEI: Mussels at a local restaurant was a delight. There is a very good one near where the ship will dock; its name escapes me at this time.

At the same port, I found a pleasant stroll through the town to be interesting as well as a visit and tour through the Capitol Building of the Provence.

We have done this cruise twice and enjoyed it both times. We are now in our 40's with a teen (and a baby). Were in our 30's with a tween son at the time of the cruises. Hope I can remember everything as it has been a few years and probably not everything is still available but this might give you a few ideas.

Boston goes without saying. Get a hotel on the T (subway), give yourself an extra day for fun, and enjoy the city. We have done the Duck Tour, the Trolley Tour, the Free Sam Adam Brewery Tour, did the Tea Party Museum, visited Chinatown to eat amazing food, we even did Dim Sum for breakfast one time before boarding the ship. We also enjoyed the Barking Crab which is touristy but fun and also just walked all over and saw the historic sites. The subway makes it very easy and the passes are not expensive.

Bar Harbor... we have done the trolley Acadia Park tour which was very good (the park and the sea shore are breathtaking) and then next time just visited a great restaurant in town for lobster on and in everything.

Halifax... we did the Citadel Fort Tour complete with tea and scone with the soldiers and shooting of the cannon. That was fun. Check out there website, its a cool place. Next time we did the Alexander Keith Brewery tour and lunch there afterwards. Again, very fun. And the beer was very tasty.

Sydney... we did the Mine Tour which was fantastic! I don't know if it is still available but it was very interesting. Would do it again in a heartbeat. If it is available it might be ship only but it is well worth it.

PEI... we rented cars both time (really easy to do as there are rental places a few blocks from port). First time we drove out to Green Gables which is great for Anne fans but also anyone really and then had lunch at a nice cafe along our path. Next time just drove all over the island which is so lovely and had lunch in Charlottetown.

Quebec City... city tours, one guided, one just our own, also went to the museum there right across from the port, Musee de la Civilisation, which just happened to have a huge video game exhibit and you could play the games (our son was in Heaven). They had very interesting and different exhibits there. It's just a lovely city for walking and exploring period.

Montreal... again we stay on the subway line and just enjoy the city. We have a favorite restaurant but the city is a good food destination. Poutine is not to be missed. It is also the home of Cirque du Soleil which is wonderful. But they don't always have a show in town so best to check well in advance. Oh and the Cathedral in Montreal.. it was stunning. Have to get tickets for it but so worth it. The tour at night with it lit up is very beautiful. Notre-Dame Basilica. Easy to get to off the subway.

Hope this helps. This is by far our favorite cruise to date.

Edited by fatcat04

Looking for recommendations for highlights in each port. Trying to piece together a self-guided touring plan that does not include any bookings through the cruise line.

There is plenty to do close to the port in all the stops on this itinerary. I'll give you my highlights.

Halifax: the boardwalk is lovely and will take you right down to the Maritime Museum. Walking up from there is the Citadel, but pro-tip, do not attempt to invade via Sackville Street! That is a whopper of a hill to walk up. Also, we tend to have lobster at one of the waterfront restaurants around the Maritime Museum or Historic Properties.

Quebec: a quick walk down from the ship will lead you to the Funicular to Upper Town (or you can take the stairs). Once in Upper Town, there is a lovely museum at the Plains of Abraham. And there is a very helpful Tourist Information Center just across the park from Chateau Frontenac, where there is tons of information and tours available. If you are looking for tour suggestions, my favorites have been the ones out to Ste. Anne de Beaupre, the Caynon Ste. Anne, and a wine-tasting tour on Ile de Orleans.

Charlottetown: We love walking about the town, it's a very walkable town, and if the day you're there is a bit warm, I suggest a stop at the Cows Ice Cream outlet near the port. Definitely plan a meal ashore in Charlottetown that included PEI potatoes. There is something different about local PEI potatoes. Many people recommend the PEI mussels, but I do not care for mussels. The potatoes, definitely worth it though!

Honestly, even if you get off the ship and just walk from the pier there is no way you can go wrong in any of the ports on this itinerary.

Wet Side Ca FE for lunch in Bar Harbor, Mussels in P EI are said to be the best anywhere and I would Not dispute that :) we have enjoyed many a bucket of mussels in PEI and they were truly delicious.

Wet Side Ca FE for lunch in Bar Harbor, Mussels in P EI are said to be the best anywhere and I would Not dispute that :) we have enjoyed many a bucket of mussels in PEI and they were truly delicious.

Mussels and lobster in PEI were delicious. We are doing this itinerary again next year and can't wait for PEI. This time we're leaving from NY, but Boston is a port stop. We only go as far as Quebec though which is one of my favorite cities.

If the falconry tour is still available on PEI, that was a great one. I think the kids would like it.

THIS is so going on my list!! The pictures look amazing. I know we will do this cruise again, hoping to make it a 14 day b2b next time.

In Sydney, rent a car and drive out to the Fortress of Louisburg (https://www.pc.gc.ca/en/lhn-nhs/ns/louisbourg). It is so much fun! During the summer, there are re-enactors in period costume who will interact with you, staying in character. I think your boys would love it.

Every time we have been to Prince Edward Island, we have rented cars and driven out to either the north-central beaches or the northeastern beaches to see lighthouses and walk in the red sand.

Whatever you choose to do, you are all in for a real treat. That is a fantastic itinerary.

I love walking around Charlottetown, going to Government house, the underground mall and d'owntown shops followed by lunch :0

There is a lovely ch urch to pop into on the way to downtown

Tour the small founders museum located just outside the terminal building.

What date will you be in Boston? Will really help narrow down what's going on!

I love walking around Charlottetown, going to Government house, the underground mall and d'owntown shops followed by lunch :0

There is a lovely ch urch to pop into on the way to downtown

Tour the small founders museum located just outside the terminal building.

Underground Mall? I was not aware of such. But, your other recommendations are those that I have enjoyed as well.

Lunch: PEI Mussels and a bottle or two of LaBatt's!

Underground Mall? I was not aware of such. But, your other recommendations are those that I have enjoyed as well.

The entrance to the underground mall is just passed the Anne of Green Gables candy store. same side of the main street, There is also a nearby very nice hand craft knttting s tore to look for as a landmark.

Underground Mall? I was not aware of such. But, your other recommendations are those that I have enjoyed as well

I forgot to mention a delicious ice cream cone as we walk back to the ship after lunch :)

The wonderful ice cream shop in the small mall near wher the ship docks.......... Called, Cows, is it?

The entrance to the underground mall is just passed the Anne of Green Gables candy store. same side of the main street, There is also a nearby very nice hand craft knttting s tore to look for as a landmark.

Thanks for the information, Sail!

My pleasure, hope it provides some with peasure and an enjoyalbe day in charlotetown. i really like that port. We took a nie privagte tour out tothe ouskirts an saw how pretty it is. wht with the red soil. ;0

My memory of the undeground mall, is: book stor,e , gengtemen's clothing store, and It hink , of course Food of one sort or another :D .. maybe a drug store?

Edited by sail7seas

.. My pleasure, hope it provides some with peasure and an enjoyalbe day in Charlotetown. i really like that port. We took a nice private tour out t o the otuskirts and saw how pretty it is. what with the red soil. ;)