Spinning Plates

JayDeeJay

Have been on over 10 cruises since Carnival has stopped using tablecloths, add to that Lido meals, meals on other lines with no table clothes at various places onboard and at home. Never had a plate or even seen a plate move away from anyone over the age of 3.

If it is an issue, use a slightly wet napkin or a bring a piece of rubberized shelf liner to stabilize the plate. Do this when I’m mixing for baking.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The one that suggested he get an extra napkin? Yeah, did. It was awesome

Hi Lotta

You must have heard the one about if you have to explain it, it wasn't funny. :)

What did you think I was referring to when I suggested that you didn't read his/her post? He/she said they used their napkin to do just what you suggested he/she could.

I was trying to explain to the OP that my opinion was that Carnival had done this change to save money, and no matter how many napkins the OP used (I unlike you did read and understand that the first time) they would be happy to supply as many as were necessary rather than wash the tablecloths.

I think your eagerness to try and belittle the OP, with your quote "the waiter or a table mate may cut your food up into bite sized portions, if you ask." might be hindering your ability to comprehend what is actually being written.

I guess it's inevitable that as we get older, we see our culture getting more coarse. It used to shock me in restaurants watching dressed up couples sitting over dinner, one or both entirely occupied on a smart phone.

I always thought the tablecloths were a relic and not at all in sync with the quality of food. Many of you have said you haven't seen tablecloths on restaurant tables... I dine at restaurants with tablecloths at least three times each month. The quality of the food in the MDR is more of an issue to me. It's barely above crap except for a few dishes. So, either improve the food or settle for laminated tabletops. Might as well be TGIF. Thank God for the pay restaurants to salvage my cruise.

Yes, Carnival knows their clientele. That is why there are no tablecloths on regular evenings and very few complaints. We who objected found other cruise lines where it is still possible to enjoy a fine dining experience.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi Lotta

You must have heard the one about if you have to explain it, it wasn't funny. :)

What did you think I was referring to when I suggested that you didn't read his/her post? He/she said they used their napkin to do just what you suggested he/she could.

I was trying to explain to the OP that my opinion was that Carnival had done this change to save money, and no matter how many napkins the OP used (I unlike you did read and understand that the first time) they would be happy to supply as many as were necessary rather than wash the tablecloths.

I think your eagerness to try and belittle the OP, with your quote "the waiter or a table mate may cut your food up into bite sized portions, if you ask." might be hindering your ability to comprehend what is actually being written.

Maybe, thanks for giving me the benefit of the doubt that I would actually read all that. Great stuff!

We were on the Imagination last year and the spinning plate phenomenon happened to us. We were at a 2 top near the hostess stand where the plates spun. We even pointed it out to the waters and the maitre d'. We had a good laugh about it.

No you're right. When they had tablecloths on the tables all the time there were in fact 2 changes. Once after first sitting and once after second. They had to set the tables after the second sitting for breakfast.

Actually, it''s three. One for the early sitting, one for the late sitting, then the third for the breakfast.

Actually, it''s three. One for the early sitting, one for the late sitting, then the third for the breakfast.

Yeah that was done earlier in the day. I was talking during actual dinner hours. The tablecloths were put on after the last sitting (so either from the previous night’s dinner if that dining room wasn’t used for breakfast/lunch or from breakfast/lunch/brunch/tea). The early dinner would have had theirs put on long before.

Yes, Carnival knows their clientele. That is why there are no tablecloths on regular evenings and very few complaints. We who objected found other cruise lines where it is still possible to enjoy a fine dining experience.

A tablecloth does not make for fine dining. If fine dining was my main objective on a cruise I would be looking a lot higher than the high volume cruise lines. I attend banquets periodically related to work, and all have nicely dressed wait staff, tablecloths and the faux high end atmosphere, yet it does not make the mass produced food any more palatable. It is what it is.

Then why are you hanging out on the carnival board?