Cruising with Norwegian; Hidden Fees?

I am looking to book a last minute cruise on Norwegian. My husband and I wanted to try NCL, as we have always been Carnival cruisers. As I was looking at the message boards here, it seems as if there are a lot of hidden fees for restaurants and entertainment?! Plus you have to make reservations for entertainment? I am trying to figure out whether it is worth it. Someone please help me clarify this!!! :) :):):):)

I am looking to book a last minute cruise on Norwegian. My husband and I wanted to try NCL, as we have always been Carnival cruisers. As I was looking at the message boards here, it seems as if there are a lot of hidden fees for restaurants and entertainment?! Plus you have to make reservations for entertainment? I am trying to figure out whether it is worth it. Someone please help me clarify this!!! :) :):):):)

We have done numerous NCL CRUISES. No hidden fees to speak of from my point of view..fees for top end shows, yes, but what would u pay to see compareable where you live. Pre booking reservation, yep because the entertainers prefer a full house, To many people pre book then are no shows... it is your choice if u want to pay for a specialty restaurant or show, no “hidden” cost

What hidden fee are you wondering about?

There is the daily service charge -- but its not hidden

There are specialty dining rooms -- but their fees aren't hidden

There is a 20% gratutity charged to all spa services, bar bills and specialty dining.

There is a dinner show that has a fee.

The above is completely discretionary no one is forcing you to get any of these things. Besides Carnival has all the same fees on their ships. Specialty coffees will have a fee. There is a $15 corkage fee for every bottle of wine you bring on board no matter where you drink it. You cannot bring on soda and water like on Carnival, and the liter water bottle that NCL carries is quite expensive.

As for shows -- which ship??? The newer ships (Epic and newer) require show reservations because the ships are so large and the theater doesn't hold half the cruising population. So yes, booking shows is recommended. There will be a wait line that forms and they will let people without reservations enter the theater if there are seats available. The more traditional 2 shows at night at 7:30 and 8:30 (approx.) are on the older ships so you don't need to worry about booking. Specialty restaurants if you want to eat at a popular time, it would be best if you make a reservation.

Other than hidden fees you have read about for restaurants and entertainment, what other hidden fees are you speaking about.

Like any other mass market cruise line, specialty restaurants have a cost attached to them. The MDR, buffet, etc. have no cost.

On some ships, there is a fee for some, but not all, entertainment.

Gratuities for drinks and spa, is also something that all mass market lines have.

NCL has a Daily Service Charge, which is just like Carnival's Service gratuities.

If you want to cruise without these fees, you might want to look at a luxury line.

Not any different than CCL, there are just more specialty restaurants. On some ships you can reserve entertainment if you want but usually a party of two can get in by just appearing. If you end up with the UBP as a perk you will find that your total bill is probably much less than you pay on CCL.

I have to laugh at some of the recommendations to make reservations for the MDR and call 120 days ahead to make sure you can "get in", etc.

NCL has two or three main dining rooms on each ship, and they are free. You don't have a set dining time, so you just walk up to the restaurant when you want to eat, you get seated, and you eat. There's also O'Sheehan's or an equivalent "pub style" food place that is free for things like burgers, wings, fries, and a special entree each night (prime rib, etc.). It all works just like on land, except they are included in your cruise fare.

NCL has some nice things that are free too. Usually a pool-side barbeque on sea days with really good food. Soft serve ice cream in the buffet that is available almost 24 hours a day, and scooped ice cream available from one of the buffet stations in the afternoons. CCL may have these too, I don't know.

On embarkation day, one of the main dining rooms will be open for a sit down lunch. We love this about NCL, because we hate the mad-house buffet on embarkation!

Other than the dining, with no set dining time and no set dining room, everything else is very similar to Carnival, RCL and Princess. There are extra cost items, but plenty of free items. There's a daily service charge per person just like on CCL. Drinks are extra, just like CCL. The staff is great, just like on CCL.

If you have specialty dining, it works like The Steakhouse, Ji Ji Asian Kitchen or Bonsai Teppanyaki on CCL. There's an extra charge for those dining establishments, and making a reservation is recommended on NCL just like on CCL. Cagney's is the steakhouse, Tepanyaki is the equivalent to "Bonsai Teppanyaki", and the other highly recommended restaurant is Le Bristro (a bit fancier and French food and steaks). If you get the free, 3 night dining package you pay just the 20% gratuity on the regular cost of dining there, so you'll pay under $20 for three meals.

You have to ignore about 75% of the negative comments on line about any cruise line because people complain a lot, and praise very little. I think you'll have a blast on NCL!

There's no hidden fees. They're just a la carte more than "traditional" cruise lines, but they're not trying to be a "traditional" cruise line. If you've never cruised before, it's no big deal. Just know that lots of stuff is an extra charge. They don't hide any of it though. It's all on the website, signs, etc.

It'll be my first NCL cruise too, and the only adjustment I can see is that I've long been indoctrinated in the old "traditional" style so that's what I'm used to and comfortable with.

OP - I've been on both NCL and CCL recently and I find them to be about the same with respect to additional charges while on board. Previous replies have done a good job identifying those extra charges.

There's no hidden fees. They're just a la carte more than "traditional" cruise lines, but they're not trying to be a "traditional" cruise line. If you've never cruised before, it's no big deal. Just know that lots of stuff is an extra charge. They don't hide any of it though. It's all on the website, signs, etc.

It'll be my first NCL cruise too, and the only adjustment I can see is that I've long been indoctrinated in the old "traditional" style so that's what I'm used to and comfortable with.

Now, whether it's a good "value" as compared to another line's last minute fare, you'll have to do a lot of price checking in addition to reading a lot of reviews as to food, service, and other things you can't really compare directly. That's a lot harder to say, but I don't see NCL as particularly a good "value" by my own personal expectations. Everyone is different though.

There are no hidden fees. Like on any cruise line, you have the option of paying for certain services and items. That would include things like the gift shop, the spa, specialty dining, and shore excursions. We have taken many cruises with no additional charges other than the daily service charge.

You only need to book reservations, on the megaships. And that is common across cruise lines.

Keep in mind there is no 'world wide' answer for this. In most of europe NCL now offers a 'all inclusive' deal that is really all inclusive. So no grats, no room charge no nothing. The only cost i would make if i get a 'good' coffee and the tips i give to the my room person. Also depending on status you get extra perks to cover your special diners,drinks, water etc etc, money of on trips, and some cash for on board. Now this 'all inclusive' is not the same everywhere and the price is higher.

Only downside i found is they also 'include' free bottle of water for everyday/person so you sometimes end up finding 40 bottles of water when you first enter the room....

Daniel.

Edited by Scatterbrain42

No fees are "hidden" but to a newbie cruiser I can understand some feel confused. Yes its true NCL does charge for some entertainment that other lines don't charge for. This is not "hidden" but can be unexpected to a newbie. This is not on all ships but usually the megaships.

When I look back on my first cruise I did not pay too much attention to all the extra's that can add up. There are more specialty restaurants than ever. If you are on a budget then remind yourself to not be tempted. If you want to use the spa or have a private area (Vibe beach club) its going to cost extra. Want soda instead of water, its gonna cost you. All of this is almost identical to all cruise lines

If you are an experienced cruiser than none of this would surprise you. My first cruise was a learning experience like most everyone else.

What I believe starts the rumors of NCL hidden fees is that NCL can charge more for DSC and started charging service charges (or gratuities) on cover charges to specialty restaurants. The daily auto gratuity (or service fee as NCL likes to call it) used to cover ALL gratuities. It seems there is always a new way to be clever to find a way to increase revenue.

There will be no additional charges if you do not avail yourself of any of the extras as mentioned in above posts (speciality restaurants, cocktails, soda, spa, etc.). At the time of booking, you total cruise cost (excluding extras) is clearly stated - there are no hidden charges.

None of what I have ever paid for my NCL cruises has been hidden. It has all been 100% disclosed prior to booking. Then again I do a little research and reading before I book a cruise.

BTW you do not HAVE TO make reservations for entertainment but you CAN do so and many people do. There are times that a given date/time for a show will be 100% booked with reservations, however as with most entertainment, there are almost always no shows and a stand by line is used to fill the available seating.

As others have said, nothing is hidden, but there may be some "extra" costs depending on the perks you choose and the things you partake of on board. Here are some off the top of my head:

- If you chose the drink package as one of your perks, you will have to pay a 20% service charge/gratuities on the cost of the package (comes out to about $17.80 per person per day)

- If you choose the specialty dining package, like the drink package, you will have to pay 20% service charge/gratuities on the cost of the package. (For a 7-day cruise with three meals, I think this comes out to $12-something?)

- The specialty dining package does not fully cover the cost of ALL of the specialty dining restaurants. Some have an additional up-charge and some are just strictly a la carte. You can see the full list here: https://www.ncl.com/specialty-dining-package/faq

- Some shows that shows that include a meal and/or the service of alcohol cost additional money. Seems to be about $20-30, depending on the show.

- While in ports, you may have to pay a small port tax on drinks, even if you have the UDP. This is really dependent on the port and is simply NCL passing along the sales taxes charged by the local municipality. On my two cruises so far, these have totaled up to maybe $10?

- The NCL app costs, I want to say about $10, and allows you to call and send text messages to others with the app on board on ships where it is in use (not available on all ships).

As for reservations, you will likely need them for all of the specialty dining venues and for the larger production shows. Some can be made through MyNCL prior to sailing and some you can make at the box office once on board.

I have to laugh at some of the recommendations to make reservations for the MDR and call 120 days ahead to make sure you can "get in", etc.

NCL has two or three main dining rooms on each ship, and they are free. You don't have a set dining time, so you just walk up to the restaurant when you want to eat, you get seated, and you eat. There's also O'Sheehan's or an equivalent "pub style" food place that is free for things like burgers, wings, fries, and a special entree each night (prime rib, etc.). It all works just like on land, except they are included in your cruise fare.

NCL has some nice things that are free too. Usually a pool-side barbeque on sea days with really good food. Soft serve ice cream in the buffet that is available almost 24 hours a day, and scooped ice cream available from one of the buffet stations in the afternoons. CCL may have these too, I don't know.

On embarkation day, one of the main dining rooms will be open for a sit down lunch. We love this about NCL, because we hate the mad-house buffet on embarkation!

Other than the dining, with no set dining time and no set dining room, everything else is very similar to Carnival, RCL and Princess. There are extra cost items, but plenty of free items. There's a daily service charge per person just like on CCL. Drinks are extra, just like CCL. The staff is great, just like on CCL.

If you have specialty dining, it works like The Steakhouse, Ji Ji Asian Kitchen or Bonsai Teppanyaki on CCL. There's an extra charge for those dining establishments, and making a reservation is recommended on NCL just like on CCL. Cagney's is the steakhouse, Tepanyaki is the equivalent to "Bonsai Teppanyaki", and the other highly recommended restaurant is Le Bristro (a bit fancier and French food and steaks). If you get the free, 3 night dining package you pay just the 20% gratuity on the regular cost of dining there, so you'll pay under $20 for three meals.

You have to ignore about 75% of the negative comments on line about any cruise line because people complain a lot, and praise very little. I think you'll have a blast on NCL!

Thank you so much for your information. Yours was the best so far! I read a great deal about fees for entertainment and few casual places to eat (on CCL there are quite a few places to eat for casual stuff like sandwiches, grill, etc...) My travel agent also said that NCL had less of those types of places, so I was just curious. Thank you!