2018 Voyage of the Vikings

richwmn

We made it ashore in Greenland!

Qaquotog, has a sheltered harbour and in addition it is a beautiful day. Tender tickets for an 8 minute tender ride were needed until 10:45 when open tendering started. Nice little town

Are there any bloggers on the voyage? Does anyone have the addresses?

Thanks 😁

Hope these links to the 3 people blogging work -

SharonN -- https://www.travelblog.org/North-America/United-States/Nevada/blog-1019688.html

ArtsyCraftsy -- https://lanastravels.blog/

High Seas Traveller -- https://rovingraconteurs.com/

Rich

More on entertainment.

With the port cancelled yesterday, some additional entertainment was provided.

The Comedian Fred Bevill did a talk at 3pm which he called Comedy through the ages. It was very entertaining and very well done.

The normal evening entertainment was a combination show featuring Fred Bevill and Greg Rodman, the first show was again packed. Both entertainers put on a good show.

During his afternoon show, Fred Bevill let us know that the current entertainment would be leaving the ship in Reykjavik, Iceland and new entertainment will be coming aboard.

We made it ashore in Greenland!

Qaquotog, has a sheltered harbour and in addition it is a beautiful day. Tender tickets for an 8 minute tender ride were needed until 10:45 when open tendering started. Nice little town

Hope these links to the 3 people blogging work -

SharonN -- https://www.travelblog.org/North-America/United-States/Nevada/blog-1019688.html

ArtsyCraftsy -- https://lanastravels.blog/

High Seas Traveller -- https://rovingraconteurs.com/

Rich

Hurrah on making it to shore :). Hopefully now, your luck has changed. Hope you enjoyed Greenland.

Gorgeous day in Qaqortoq today! We walked up into the hills and through the town several times. I know we were all happy to be able to set foot in Greenland. Looking forward to Prince Christian Sound tomorrow.

I have found the entertainment on the main stage a step up from my other cruises. Including the concert pianist who is excellent.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Today is an "At Sea" day heading toward Iceland. Prince Christian Sund yesterday was beautiful

The entertainment Thursday night was the Rotterdam Singers and Dancers. The show was called Al La Mode and was entertaining. The cast put a lot of energy into their performance.

Last night (Friday) was a second performance of the Emperers of Soul. Using a different selection of songs, these singers from London did a very good job of the sounds and moves of the Motown bands. Their talk between songs was also good and they again played off each other very well.

Other entertainment.

The Ocean Bar continues to have a crowd with several people dancing to each song. The musicians are accomplished and the crowd seems to be enjoying themselves.

The Mix continues to be filled for Barry from Boston. His first hour is a themed program while the second hour is by request. Again, everyone seems to be satisfied.

I have not run into Adagio yet

Iceland tomorrow!

Thanks for your reports and efforts, Rich! Sorry that you've missed so many ports but it sounds like you and others are making the best of it. Hope the GI illness is subsiding.

You've actually inspired me to think about doing some short reports like yours on my upcoming 40 night cruise from Seattle to Rio on Zaandam. I really like the format of your reports here.

Hope you're getting some cabin photos!

BTW, the links to the bloggers work for me....

Thanks for your reports and efforts, Rich! Sorry that you've missed so many ports but it sounds like you and others are making the best of it. Hope the GI illness is subsiding.

You've actually inspired me to think about doing some short reports like yours on my upcoming 40 night cruise from Seattle to Rio on Zaandam. I really like the format of your reports here.

Totally agree....hope you do this on your upcoming cruise! We have friends on this cruise so am really enjoying all the reports...including the blogs....well done to everyone:D

BTW, the links to the bloggers work for me....

Thanks for the kind encouragement. Cabin Photos on the way

Rich

Thanks Rich for taking us along on your VOV. We will have more discussion in November on the Koningsdam.

Looking forward to seeing y'all again. There will be plenty of time to talk on the 6 sea days on that cruise.

The service, maintenance, food and entertainment have been wonderful, except for the missing Adagio string performer. Lido waitstaff is superb, maintenance is good (and needed for my cabin heating problems), and attempts to curtail reported widespread norovirus problems are good. But, I see passengers ordered to wash their hands in the bathroom ignoring crew orders. Same upon entrance to the dining areas. And, the captain announced that norovirus quarantined passengers are roaming the ship public areas.

Despite all, I'm booked for 2019 and eager to repeat this wonderful Voyage of the Vikings!

The service, maintenance, food and entertainment have been wonderful, except for the missing Adagio string performer. Lido waitstaff is superb, maintenance is good (and needed for my cabin heating problems), and attempts to curtail reported widespread norovirus problems are good. But, I see passengers ordered to wash their hands in the bathroom ignoring crew orders. Same upon entrance to the dining areas. And, the captain announced that norovirus quarantined passengers are roaming the ship public areas.

Despite all, I'm booked for 2019 and eager to repeat this wonderful Voyage of the Vikings!

Nice to hear you are having a great time!

I have to say it's deplorable that there are selfish, thoughtless passengers ignoring simple, personal hygiene. And unconscionable that quarantined passengers are bent upon potentially spreading the disease to others.

I hope you continue to enjoy the cruise and don't fall victim to others' thoughtlessness.

Update after two days in Reykjavik, Iceland

I had two good days in Iceland. We rented a car and did a big part of the Golden Circle tour yesterday, featuring a lunch at a family owned restaurant on a farm. Very good food and companionship.

Today was a bit different. We had planned to go the the Seltun Geothermal area. We had a Garmin GPS we were using to find our way around. We typed Seltun into the search box and found something that appeared to be correct. With few problems we drove a little over an hour and ended up at a Senior Living Center. I typed Seltun Geothermal into google maps on my phone and found we were over an hour away. I must say, though, that the scenery was great and we got to pass a Prison, which should be on everyone's list of things to see. The Geothermal Area was great and we had a nice walk. Headed back to the ship and had lunch at another small restaurant. The Fish and Chips was extremely good. We made it back to the ship with about 15 minutes to spare.

Entertainment -

I understand that we got new entertainers here. Yesterday on the main stage they playted the movie "The Great Showman" as the evening show.

Tonight we had a new comic - Anthony Scott. As before the early show had pretty much a packed audience. He was a bit slow starting, but did get his bearings a bit and got somewhat better. If he has a show on another night he might be better.

Adagio is now complete. I listened to the pianist for a bit last night and she was good. As I was walking to the elevator I heard the violin, so I'll have to go back later and hear them together.

We have to set our clocks ahead tonight and tomorrow night, so two short days ahead, followed by Norway.

Hope everyone has a great week!

The assistant cruise director has been having something at 9:00pm each

evening in the Crows Nest along with Happy Hour.

Jul 19 - Hits of the Beatles

Jul 20 - Meet and Socialize with the Officers

Jul 21 - Hits of ABBA

Jul 22 - Majority Rules Game Show

Jul 23 - Music Trivia

Jul 24 - Motown Music Hour

Jul 25 - Secret Identities Game Show

Jul 26 - Classic Rock Hour

Jul 27 - All Request Country Hits

Jul 28 - Music Trivia

Jul 29 - Beatles Music Hour

Jul 30 - Hits of the BeeGees

Movies being shown in the Wajang Theater and on the TV the next day.

Jul 19 - Basmati Blues

Jul 20 - Finding Your Feet

Jul 21 - Pacific Rim Uprising

Jul 22 - The Shipping News

Jul 23 - Same Kind of Different as Me

Jul 24 - Murder on the Orient Express

Jul 25 - Home Again

Jul 26 - The Legent 1900

Jul 27 - The Mountain Between Us

Jul 28 - Autumn Lights

Jul 29 - Journey to the Center of the Earth

Jul 30 - The Secret Life of Walter Mitty

Update after two days in Reykjavik, Iceland

I had two good days in Iceland. We rented a car and did a big part of the Golden Circle tour yesterday, featuring a lunch at a family owned restaurant on a farm. Very good food and companionship.

Today was a bit different. We had planned to go the the Seltun Geothermal area. We had a Garmin GPS we were using to find our way around. We typed Seltun into the search box and found something that appeared to be correct. With few problems we drove a little over an hour and ended up at a Senior Living Center. I typed Seltun Geothermal into google maps on my phone and found we were over an hour away. I must say, though, that the scenery was great and we got to pass a Prison, which should be on everyone's list of things to see. The Geothermal Area was great and we had a nice walk. Headed back to the ship and had lunch at another small restaurant. The Fish and Chips was extremely good. We made it back to the ship with about 15 minutes to spare.

Rich we can add this to our in-port adventure memories. What a fun 2 days. [emoji1]

No hot weather yet for us! 63F and cloudy today in Alesund. What a great town to walk around! We hiked up the hill on the steps and took the trail back down. The Alesund Museum was interesting.

So far, we are healthy and no one we know of has been ill.

Looking forward to another M&M next week!

Sent from my LG-M210 using Forums mobile app

Very comfortable day in Alesund, Norway today! Beautiful city with picturesque buildings. We were joined in town today by the Norwegian Jade.

Continuing with the 9:00pm activities.

Jul 31st - Gala Dance Request with the Ocean Quartet in the Ocean Bar

Aug 1st - Music Trivia Game in the Crows Nest

Aug 2nd - Call My Bluff Game Show

Movies in the Wajang Theater

Jul 31st - Ready Player 1

Aug 1st - Annihilation

Aug 2nd - Paris Can Wait

Main Stage

Jul 31st - Violinist Greta Salome

Aug 1st - Dance Fusion

Aug 2nd - Planet Earth II in Concert

No hot weather yet for us! 63F and cloudy today in Alesund. What a great town to walk around! We hiked up the hill on the steps and took the trail back down. The Alesund Museum was interesting.

So far, we are healthy and no one we know of has been ill.

Looking forward to another M&M next week!

Sent from my LG-M210 using Forums mobile app

Looking forward to boarding the ship on Monday and M&M next day. Flying out tomorrow - afraid to weight my checked luggage. Will be glad when I get to Rotterdam.

Greta Salome performed on our Rotterdam transatlantic right before VOV. She was fantastic: so high energy and talented. Definitely one of our favorite shows.

Enjoying your reports, thanks for sharing.

Greta Salome performed on our Rotterdam transatlantic right before VOV. She was fantastic: so high energy and talented. Definitely one of our favorite shows.

I agree, she put on an amazing show. We loved it.

Rotterdam has just left Eidfjord, Norway - the last stop on this half of the Voyage of the Vikings. Tomorrow is a sea day, then the name sake city of the ship, Rotterdam, the Netherlands. We will overnight there, then take on new passengers on Aug 5th before starting the voyage back to Boston.

Today's entertainment on the main stage was Dance Fusion, a Latin and Ballroom dance duo. Shows at 8:00pm and 10:00pm.

The movie of the night in the Wajang Theater was Wonder Wheel, set on Coney Island in the '50's

At 9:00 in the Crows Nest we had Dico Fever with Tino, the Assistand Cruise Director

The Adagio Duo has been complete for a couple of days now. I sat and listened for a bit on a couple of occasions and found them to be accomplished musicians. It is very relaxing to sit and listen to the Duo. I am do not know their type of music well enough to say what and from when they were playing, but it sounded very nice.

In the Ocean Bar tonight we have only the piano player Gyuri, another very accomplished musician. I suspect the group that normally plays is performing on the main stage for the Dance Fusion show. His music was also very nice to listen to.

In the Mix, Barry from Boston was doing an all request night of Sinatra hits. He put on his typical good show.

Each of the music venues, Ocean Bar, Explorers Lounge, and the Mix had decent crowds enjoying the music.

A few notes nearing the mid point of the cruise.

The entertaiment on the Main Stage was more to my liking the first 9 days then the last few days. I suspect we will be getting another new group of entertainers in Rotterdam, which I look forward to. YMMV

Whlie we missed 2 ports early on, the ports we made were excellent and I have enjoyed this cruise so far. I am looking forward to Rotterdam, and the ports on the way back to Boston. I hope we have success with all the ports on the way back.

The ship has been in an enhanced virus protection mode for the last week or so, not quite a full "Code Red", but everything being served and constant reminders to wash your hands. I think, and this is my opinion only, that the health department is being proactive and trying to keep the level below the point where it has to be reported and may be succeeding. I don't know of anyone who has been confined to their cabin, but I belive someone a couple of cabins down from me was.

The service I had in the main dining room (2 evenings) was about as good as most of my cruises. The staff in the Lido was as good as ever, maybe a bit above average. I would give them a little better for the first week or so, but with the extra duties required for health, they are not able to do as much as they might want to.

Depending on who you talk to, we are losing either 200 or 400 passengers in Rotterdam. The only number I have heard for new passengers was 100. All these may be just rumors. The Captain has announced more than once that over 700 mariners of 4 and 5 star are aboard, so no priority tendering. I suspect the same will be true when we finish in Boston.

The ship, IMHO, is in good shape and is being cared for by a loving crew.