Cruise cancelled - Osaka-Anchorage Departing May 19, 2020

luxury-lizard

Hum - I booked and paid in full 2 months ago (to get a 10% discount) this cruise - got an e-mail today stating that it was cancelled due to "2020 schedule adjustments". I was offered a 10% on any other cruise of my choice if I book within the next 4 weeks.

What a crummy offer - no apology - no compensation - big deal - a 10% discount (which I already had) on some future cruise - you can be sure I'll be seeking a full refund and will be most unlikely to book a future cruise on SS. I booked for 2020 as my travel schedule is full for 2019 - so why would I book (and pay) for a 2020 cruise when clearly it too may be cancelled.

Not happy - anyone else impacted?

Edited by luxury-lizard
typo

Hum - I booked and paid in full 2 months ago (to get a 10% discount) this cruise - got an e-mail today stating that it was cancelled due to "2020 schedule adjustments". I was offered a 10% on any other cruise of my choice if I book within the next 4 weeks.

What a crummy offer - no apology - no compensation - big deal - a 10% discount (which I already had) on some future cruise - you can be sure I'll be seeking a full refund and will be most unlikely to book a future cruise on SS. I booked for 2020 as my travel schedule is full for 2019 - so why would I book (and pay) for a 2020 cruise when clearly it too may be cancelled.

That’s weird, it’s still showing on the UK site as available, leaving May 18th

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I can understand that you are not happy. Nonetheless, cancellations occur on all cruise lines -- esp. ~18 months in advance. They can occur because of charters, major schedule adjustments (e.g., getting ship to new area), required maintenance, etc.

Presumably they are offering a full refund. Right? You won't have to "seek" it. It would be scandalous if they didn't.

I would imagine that the 10% discount on a 2020 cruise would be on top of all other available discounts (early booking, Venetian society, etc.)

Lux-Liz .... sympathies. Hope you get a better resolution and an apology.

With respect to the web site not being up to date. This is one that SS cannot win. A regular complaint is that the first time a passenger has seen a change is on the website and they justifiably complain that they should be told directly and without “finding it out for themselves”. Perhaps SS has responded. The consequence if they have is that then others might complain that they have made a change but the website is out of date.

On this particular issue it seems to me that they have it right.

Given that the Muse cruises around this one, nearly two years out, are all waitlist, I'd interpret it as Silversea being in the process of making changes. Indeed, on the Australian site the OP's cruise is also all waitlist except for Panorama suite.

Again, two years out your average cruiser would not have made many non-changeable plans, if any, and therefore any compensation for the cancellation is going to be very small.

Lux-Liz .... sympathies. Hope you get a better resolution and an apology.

With respect to the web site not being up to date. This is one that SS cannot win. A regular complaint is that the first time a passenger has seen a change is on the website and they justifiably complain that they should be told directly and without “finding it out for themselves”. Perhaps SS has responded. The consequence if they have is that then others might complain that they have made a change but the website is out of date.

On this particular issue it seems to me that they have it right.

It shouldn't be beyond the wit of the IT department to do these simultaneously -- send out the email messages and pull the trigger on the website update at the same time.

Perhaps they intended to do precisely this but the OP got the message earlier because of date line issues. :)

It shouldn't be beyond the wit of the IT department to do these simultaneously -- send out the email messages and pull the trigger on the website update at the same time.

Perhaps they intended to do precisely this but the OP got the message earlier because of date line issues. :)

The Explorer canceled voyages are still on the website, so they certainly aren’t quick at updating it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Again, two years out your average cruiser would not have made many non-changeable plans, if any, and therefore any compensation for the cancellation is going to be very small.
Totally Agree. Neither an airline would accept a reservation yet, nor a chain hotel. So, it’s highly unlikely the OP has any cancellation penalties at risk.

The good news from my perspective is that SS is most likely getting close to announcing the full 2020 schedule, including the new Moon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the sympathetic responses - I have not even looked at the website. I guess my point was more why would a book and pay for another cruise if it too could be cancelled. I agree that compensation is not appropriate given the date being so far in the future. The e-mail I was sent did not even mention a refund option - but of course I know that I can and will receive one (without the $250 penalty). I just felt the e-mail itself was very unapologetic.

Thanks for the sympathetic responses - I have not even looked at the website. I guess my point was more why would a book and pay for another cruise if it too could be cancelled. I agree that compensation is not appropriate given the date being so far in the future. The e-mail I was sent did not even mention a refund option - but of course I know that I can and will receive one (without the $250 penalty). I just felt the e-mail itself was very unapologetic.

Sadly they have yet to learn how customers truly value and appreciate a genuine apology. It goes a very long way and costs absolutely nothing. :)

You are overlooking that on very many bookings they will inform customers through their travel agents and not directly which has an unknown delay outside their control. On my last booking they made a change to a port on the website before I was informed and I was irritated.

The choice of changing the website after rather than before using its' best endeavours to inform customers seems to me to be a wise choice.

. I guess my point was more why would a book and pay for another cruise if it too could be cancelled.

Cancellations are a reality throughout the travel universe, aren't they? They are not limited to cruises or Silversea. Like you, I tend to book very far ahead. I can recall within the past several years having a planned vacation ended when the classic hotel I had booked announced that it was closing for major renovations. No other accommodation was available in the same general price/quality range. Within the past year, I learned that a nonstop international flight I had booked had been cancelled: The airline had decided to cease flying the route and I would have to take connecting flights with either a very rushed/dicey minimal connection time or a many hours long connection. Cancellations happen, and I think one has to roll with the punches.

You are overlooking that on very many bookings they will inform customers through their travel agents and not directly which has an unknown delay outside their control. On my last booking they made a change to a port on the website before I was informed and I was irritated.

The choice of changing the website after rather than before using its' best endeavours to inform customers seems to me to be a wise choice.

I take your point, and this is one of the reasons I book directly with Silversea and not through a TA.

what reason?

Exactly. Booking on your own makes you your one advocate in case of a problem. Like being your own lawyer at a trial.

Who knows what more a good TA could get you in terms of compensation?

We have a cruise booked for 2019 that I booked the day the cruise was released. Maybe a month or so later the itinerary was changed and while the cruise was still interesting it was shortened by 2 days and missed 2 ports that we had particularly looked forward to. SS reimbursed an amount pro rata for the reduction in length with the option of cancellation and a full refund. Furthermore, a few more pounds were added to the refund for our trouble. Seemed quite fair to me but perhaps I'm easily pleased.

what reason?

I have been through several TAs over the years and have a number of issues with them -- ranging from a) failure to keep on top of fare changes to b) sending docs to the wrong address and insisting that I must have misplaced them to c) failure to return phone calls and messages in a fairly urgent situation. Granted, the TA was ill. But there was no back up plan, no message on the voicemail or email, etc.

In one instance, the TA sent along with the cruise docs the agency invoice rather than the passenger invoice, and I was able to see the precise commission being earned. :)

I have had consistently excellent service from my Silversea TA. S/he is proactive and unfailingly responsive and is part of a well-functioning, expert team that fill in for one another during absences from the office.

In one instance, the TA sent along with the cruise docs the agency invoice rather than the passenger invoice, and I was able to see the precise commission being earned. :)

I have had consistently excellent service from my Silversea TA. S/he is proactive and unfailingly responsive and is part of a well-functioning, expert team that fill in for one another during absences from the office.

We had a similar situation when a long standing TA reduced the commission they were rebating, and when asked about what they were receiving from SS, blatantly lied. Their loss.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We are lucky and have a very good TA.Has saved us a lot.Service excellent.Example-a few years ago Qantas grounded their whole fleet during an industrial dispute.This happened late on a Saturday and we were due to fly on QF to Bangkok on the Tuesday.We got back to our hotel from dinner,turned on the TV to see a news report on the grounding.Went to my computer and found an email from our TA with our rebooked flights on BA.

She is handling our dealings with SS on our cancelled cruises.

The good news from my perspective is that SS is most likely getting close to announcing the full 2020 schedule, including the new Moon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had the same thought, Stumblefoot. Next year is the first time for Muse in Alaska, and based on current sales for Alaska 2019, they may have rethought sending a Muse-sized ship there ... or they want to send Silver Moon there instead. I'm eager to see what 2020 looks like.