Mariner Society Credit for traveling solo

ChinaShrek

The math is quite simple.

The pp rate was given and it was doubled, That is 200% I Have clearly stated I KNOW why and and d o not have quibble with that. ONLY quibble in this regard is to not give the solo occupant of the cabin any m mariner day credit,,, and suggested they could call it on board spending as that is the logic given for charging double-- loss of second person on board spending..... call that throw away second fare 'on board spending' Think a bout it for a minute. It makes sense, IMO

AGAIN, my quibble is NOT them charging full second fare for the phantom s econd person. I know why and am okay with that.

Hope I have made myself understood this time. :)

As I am now done.

Not clear. If the cabin does not qualify for onboard credit why should just paying double for a solo make it so. Or do you mean you should get the onboard credit for yourself and for your "phantom" passenger, so you get twice the credit for a qualifying cabin?

I don't get double loyalty points at a hotel when I stay as a solo. I didn't get double loyalty points on Royal Caribbean when I cruised as a solo.

You should have received double Crown and Anchor points by Royal Caribbean if you traveled as a solo and paid for a double. The following fact sheet is clear on this:

https://dlxffu6hwewxp.cloudfront.net/cas/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/CAS_Member_Benefits_Grid_11.6.17-1.pdf

What I would like to see is a person traveling solo, paying 200%, receive the OBC that would be given to the “second person”. That to me would be reasonable.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I like that idea.

Roz

What I would like to see is a person traveling solo, paying 200%, receive the OBC that would be given to the “second person”. That to me would be reasonable.

I like that idea.

OK, OBC then rather than Mariner points. Actually that seems more logical. Whatever, just SOMETHING to take the edge off the pain of our paying 200%.

OK, OBC then rather than Mariner points. Actually that seems more logical. Whatever, just SOMETHING to take the edge off the pain of our paying 200%.

I'd rather see more solo cabins constructed and HAL charge us just the price of one person.

I'd rather see more solo cabins constructed and HAL charge us just the price of one person.
On the K-dam the "OO" solo cabins cost almost as much as a solo F outside with a single supplement ... like 180% to 190% the last time I priced them. :eek:

Be careful what you wish for, as you may be sorry when you get it.

I've been around HAL long enough to remember when her ships did have several single cabins, in a variety of categories. They weren't always in good locations, either.

When you compared the price to paying the single supplement in a comparable category but better location, it was pretty much a wash.

Princess gives Captain's Circle (their version of HAL's Mariner Society) members who sail 'solo', two credits toward the next level of benefits. In my opinion, Princess' past pax benefits are better than HAL's.

The 'kicker' is, it is extremely rare to find a Princess cruise where a 100% single supplement is not charged. Conversely, with HAL it is the exception (so far), not the rule, to find a cruise with a 100% single supplement. I believe this will change as they inevitably rely more and more on 'on board' revenue to stay competitive and 'in the black'.

Another factor to consider is gratuities. The vast majority of crew are paid from gratuity pools - your steward (among many others) does NOT want to see a stateroom occupied by a single pax).

Cruise lines are masters of marketing and obfuscation. Caveat emptor. :p

I do not want any of their awful location solo cabins. I would rather not cruise than waste money on a ca bin they squeezed into space from which they could not otherwise make revenue. No, not for me. They will not be stuffing me into that horrid far forward box. Why not squeeze a small solo verandah cabin onto a decdent location?

Two thoughts on this:

NOT the same as a hotel room. Then, you are just paying for the room. On the ship, you are paying for a cabin, plus food, entertainment, transportation, etc. One person does not eat twice the meals, take two seats for entertainment venues, etc. I, too, believe there should be some compensation.

2: on my last cruise, an 80-day, I got 23 mariner sea days for onboard spending, which would equal almost $7,000. I know I didn't spend that much -- I think they doubled my on-board spending days, as $3,500 was probably more accurate. So I do think they do something. I was in an inside cabin, so no suite bonus.

Perhaps someone can confirm that -- I am just going by memory (except I checked my online account to see how many days I got for ship spending).

Maybe HAL and other cruiselines should go to the model of hotels and price by the room instead of by the passenger.

It'll never happen - everyone would be complaining the price of cruising doubled overnight. ;p

2: on my last cruise, an 80-day, I got 23 mariner sea days for onboard spending, which would equal almost $7,000. I know I didn't spend that much -- I think they doubled my on-board spending days, as $3,500 was probably more accurate. So I do think they do something. I was in an inside cabin, so no suite bonus.

Perhaps someone can confirm that -- I am just going by memory (except I checked my online account to see how many days I got for ship spending).

I'm not going to state numbers, but I've found HAL has been very generous towards me with those on board spending credits. Way more than I should have received based on my on board spending alone. I'm not complaining...

On my April solo cruise I did not get double on-board spending credits.

I'm not going to state numbers, but I've found HAL has been very generous towards me with those on board spending credits. Way more than I should have received based on my on board spending alone. I'm not complaining...

I have seen quite a number of people saying this, but I have yet to have it happen. I wish!

] ... [/i]I think the days shoul d b e awarded for the 'phantom' second guest's fare that was paid.

... it is 'cheesy ' to take double fare but deny awarding mariner days. IMO Makes them look very small and greedy' date=' some may think.

[/i']

Yes, and they could give double days for anyone sailing solo in any class of cabin except single cabins ... and it would cost them nothing. Makes sense to me. :)

I'm surprised that you haven't followed Roz's lead and switched your business (& loyalty) to Princess. (See Post # 9 above.)

I'm surprised that you haven't followed Roz's lead and switched your business (& loyalty) to Princess. (See Post # 9 above.)

Clearly, if I wished to, I would

My DH and I sailed princess about 6 or 8 cruises. We said after the last we would not go back to Princess, too many mis-steps.... We were good to our word and did no t sail them again and I have no taste for them now.

Now you know what other cruise lines to take in the future who will provide this benefit. Don't let HAL keep ripping you off.

Appreciate your point about cabins designed to handle 3 and 4 passengers. Anyone booking those cabins, (virtually all since most cabins have sofa beds) those cabins should actually be paying for 3-4 passengers, and not just for the standard double. Hard to argue your logic here.

This is a great untapped revenue raiser for HAL. I hope they get started on it as soon as possible. No corner of the ships should not be paying its own way. Presuming the normative is binary couples is so out of date. HAL could even provide sharing lists so total strangers can bunk in these under-performing cabins priced for two, so they can start maxing out this under-utilized retail space right now. This would provide an instant solutions for any new passenger balking at the 3-4th in cabin passenger surcharge.

In fact, this does bring back an old sea-going tradition. My own first cruise were in four person bunk bed cabins with total strangers and bathrooms down the hall. Brava for the good old days. 7 days Greek islands and Turkey for $90 was part of the good old days too for those four person cabins.

Credit goes to you for this splendid innovation in cruise pricing, Roz.

I had to respond as my first cruise was the same as yours (if I recall correctly it was on the Stella Solaris). Memorable cruise as there was a group of Greek-Americans on board and the crew loved them and I got "adopted" into the group as a fellow American. It was a fun, enjoyable cruise.

By the way, I think a solo traveler should get double points as well!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

sorry deleted

I've been cruising more with Princess lately, mainly to get the double cruise credits, and because their loyalty levels are based on either cruise days or total cruises, and since I live between Seattle and Vancouver, I'm nearing their top Elite level just from doing 5 short coastal cruises, and a few to Mexico and Alaska. Their top level also includes more impressive benefits, like a free minibar setup and wine tasting, whereas HAL's seems to involve mostly discounts to get me to spend more. So instead of complaining, I vote with my loyalty. The same goes with the HAL website, that doesn't allow me to search for cruises by number of passengers, whereas NCL and Princess make that an easy task, and it's completely useless for the Konigsdam to have single rooms if I can't search prices for them. I've gotten some affordable last-minute HAL cruises, like a September Alaska one last year that coincided with beautiful weather, and in the past their Pacific Coastal cruises have been around $100/day even with a single supplement (although that seems to be changing starting in April/May 2020, when their coastal cruises are longer and more expensive, so not a deal for me any longer).

As a solo cruiser, I also like to dine alone, and hate being forced to sit shoulder to shoulder with strangers at a slow and awkward breakfast, which I have to do on HAL, but not on Princess and Carnival ships I've been on. I even hate the 'would you like to share a table?' question at every meal, so I was delighted with a restaurant host on the Island Princess a few weeks ago who recognized me by the third day and automatically found me one of the many 2-person tables.

Finally, as a solo cruiser I place more emphasis on entertainment than on bars or gambling or shopping, so the recent corporate homogenization of HAL isn't likely to make me a frequent cruiser--hearing Coldplay and Led Zeppelin and Piaf to Peanuts with Lincoln Center was cute once or twice, but I don't want to hear the same programs on every cruise, robot musicians playing approved music from ipads. I really miss the Adagio duos, who could be bored and temperamental and disorganized, but each one was unique and so things were interesting. I found the same on Princess, which had a wide variety of musicians rotating throughout the ship, from Irish and Scottish singers to a classical trio and classical pianist.

I've been cruising more with Princess lately, mainly to get the double cruise credits, and because their loyalty levels are based on either cruise days or total cruises, and since I live between Seattle and Vancouver, I'm nearing their top Elite level just from doing 5 short coastal cruises, and a few to Mexico and Alaska. Their top level also includes more impressive benefits, like a free minibar setup and wine tasting, whereas HAL's seems to involve mostly discounts to get me to spend more. So instead of complaining, I vote with my loyalty. ...

Spot on & thanks for sharing your very sensible insights.(y)(y)(y)

As I've already mentioned, I've only taken one Princess cruise and enjoyed it. I would sail them again, but it seems as though HAL has more interesting itineraries, and oftentimes beats Princess price wise. I can't really justify the added cost, especially if it's hundreds of dollars, or extra points.

Roz