Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

1 hour ago, Fletcher said:

I've never heard of farro before, knowing that the same foods sometimes have different names in the US and the UK.  Looking it up it seems to be something like a cross between couscous and pearl barley. 

Interesting comparison! It definitely looks like pearl barley but doesn't cook up as thick. It's a variety of wheat, so it comes as a whole berry, and it boils up in about 20 minutes. Has a nice whole wheat flavor and a bit of nice crunch from the hull. I believe it's an "ancient grain" also known as Emmer wheat, popular in Northern Italian cuisine. I use it in a couple of other recipes, and as a side dish when we are bored with rice. Definitely worth a try.

Yes Oreos cookies are very popular in the USA.

Kids like to take them apart and eat the white icing in the middle. There are all sorts of different flavors of icing now including mint. Variations of the Oreo include covering it with chocolate.

I am not an Oreo fan but have eaten them. Its best not to learn what the ingredients are...especially the middle. Not healthy!

The Oreo cookie is an icon. I think you get hooked as a kid when you dip them in milk.

It is also a slang term with several meanings best left for anyone interested to look up on their own.

Edited by spinnaker2
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, spinnaker2 said:

The Oreo cookie is an icon. I think you get hooked as a kid when you dip them in milk.   It is also a slang term with several meanings best left for anyone interested to look up on their own.

YES!! Oreo cookies are an icon.  Personally, I am not a big chocolate fan, so vanilla is my favorite Oreo cookie.  Smart by Spins to not be explaining that other meaning/word use!!  These are "sensitive" times.

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

679855470_ScreenShot2020-09-24at8_09_35AM.thumb.png.5d3d22bdf54337cb35e1af234915250a.png

11215544_ScreenShot2020-09-24at8_09_14AM.png.7c2d6969fdb9eeb086b26a858cb9e279.png

16 hours ago, SteveH2508 said:

UK calling - M&Ms we understand (though us oldies think of them as Smarties). As for the others - no idea (and my wife is American!)

The main US things we have to try to find in UK are Oreos (common now) and Graham Crackers (needed for the base of her awesome Boston Cream Pie). Otherwise my DW has realised that much of the UK produce is as good if not better than the US stuff (Hershey bars are awful for example). We now get most of our food from our local farmer's market (weekly markets in Central London - what's not to like).

Having lived in the UK for longer than the US now, my wife still goes nuts for cod and chips and roast lamb (both of which were silly expensive in the US apparently).

Why don't Americans like Roast Lamb?

10 minutes ago, englishusa said:

My wife absolutely adores it - it is the price of it in USA that is not nice apparently.

ETA - I was wondering whether the Asterix the Gaul stereotype about English food (boiled with mint sauce) might have something to do with it?

Edited by SteveH2508

14 minutes ago, englishusa said:

Correct, I worked in Dubai, 30 Americans, 4 Brits, the chef put on the menu roast lamb, almost got hung!  The brits love it, yes I am a brit now exiled in sunny Cyprus. 

1 hour ago, englishusa said:

I like lamb! But then I am half Greek.

Roasted leg of lamb on the BBQ with plenty of garlic and rosemary served medium rare with spanokopita and roasted potatoes...

No mint jelly. Never got that "food"

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SteveH2508 said:

My wife absolutely adores it - it is the price of it in USA that is not nice apparently.

Americans are addicted to cheap meat. We've started buying some from local ranchers and it is pricey. But oh so good.

Have to agree about McVities choc. digestives - has to be plain chocolate of course.  If we are in the mood for something a bit more fancy, Waitrose do a Belgian chocolate chip cookie; texture just like an American cookie, which is very rich and yummy.  Two is definitely enough, luckily, as you only get 8 in a box.

None of this compares with the fancy home cooked dishes produced by jp et al, but there is something to be said for sweet comfort food at present, when you just want to slump in front of the tv with a cup of tea or coffee, or hot chocolate.

But I am surprised that Oreos are genuinely popular, I am afraid I really did not like them.

Lola

1 hour ago, spinnaker2 said:

I like lamb! But then I am half Greek.

Roasted leg of lamb on the BBQ with plenty of garlic and rosemary served medium rare with spanokopita and roasted potatoes...

No mint jelly. Never got that "food"

Spins: Try mint sauce instead. A lot better!( Chopped mint in malt vinegar)

2 hours ago, englishusa said:

Love lamb!!  Agree that it is not offered as much at many dining places in the U.S.  That's one of the key reasons as to why we like cruising on classy ships such as with Silversea.  They will offer certain food  items on the ships that are different and special, such as rack of lamb.  See one of my visual "success stories" below from a Colorado dining winner.  Look good??

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

AFRICA?!!?: Fun, interesting visuals, plus travel details from this early 2016 live/blog. At 50,135 views. Featuring Cape Town, South Africa’s coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

From the summer of 2014 when dining at Crested Butte, Colorado, here was the wonderful rack of lamb that we enjoyed there.  Excellent taste and dining treat!!.:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see this visual larger/better!)

TLC_0018.jpeg.325c15306e3edd1636c804530f01f741.jpeg