Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

5 minutes ago, SteveH2508 said:

When you find the mother lode of humour!  😁  Every source is worth exploring when the world is tilting dangerously off its axis!  Better laughter than tears. 

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, silkismom said:

Dress question,  I know many things have been  covered, but DH just asked if he can wear his military "mess dress" instead of a tux. It's the  military formal dress. I thought  that this is the most "user friendly " of the threads. Thanks, 

I sincerely hope it continues to be!  😀  I think if it is considered military formal dress it should be spot on!  Enjoy the adventure!

4 minutes ago, mysty said:

Those dishes are indestructible!  😁  I love them!

I agree!  They only time I've ever broken one, was when I just had to prove to the young man that one couldn't break them and threw one on the floor.  It broke.  I never learn...

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, pf778c said:

I agree!  They only time I've ever broken one, was when I just had to prove to the young man that one couldn't break them and threw one on the floor.  It broke.  I never learn...

Very glad that I did not have to demonstrate their indestructibility!  🤣  I will learn from you pf778c!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, silkismom said:

Dress question,  I know many things have been  covered, but DH just asked if he can wear his military "mess dress" instead of a tux. It's the  military formal dress. I thought  that this is the most "user friendly " of the threads. Thanks, 

Hi, Military uniforms are always appropriate🙂 he will probably look like the most handsome man on board.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, silkismom said:

DH just asked if he can wear his military "mess dress" instead of a tux. It's the  military formal dress.

This isn’t a SS issue, per se, since the cruise line would never stop a military veteran from wearing their formal military dress.  Ever.

My only concern is for your husband and whether he has consulted his military branch’s manual that dictates the wear of that service’s uniform, as well as the wear of uniform items found  in the Uniform Code of Military Justice and United States Code.  I was always taught wearing a uniform as a veteran is technically only permitted during special occasions such as those centered around military service and family events including military funerals, military weddings, etc. or military-themed holiday events such as the 4th of July.

Hopefully veterans in this forum, much more qualified than I, will lend their advice to you.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, silkismom said:

Don't know how it works in the US but wearing a UK military mess kit outside the military environment would require special permission from the relevant military authority. I'm sure it will be fine - you guys are much less stuffy - but I'd hope no RN, Army or RAF retirees would do the same - I think it would just strike us as wrong, somehow. (I'm a retired RAF Officer, BTW.) 

Edited by Tothesunset
Typos!
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Tothesunset said:

Don't know how it works in the US but wearing a UK military mess kit outside the military environment would require special permission from the relevant military authority. I'm sure it will be fine - you guys are much less stuffy - but I'd hope no RN, Army or RAF retirees would do the same - I think it would just strike us as wrong, somehow. (I'm a retired RAF Officer, BTW.) 

I was wondering about that very issue TTSS!  Having no experience with anyone who had been in service I had no clue as to the appropriateness of the attire outside of active service.   Thanks for the education from your experience. 

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Stumblefoot said:

This isn’t a SS issue, per se, since the cruise line would never stop a military veteran from wearing their formal military dress.  Ever.

My only concern is for your husband and whether he has consulted his military branch’s manual that dictates the wear of that service’s uniform, as well as the wear of uniform items found  in the Uniform Code of Military Justice and United States Code.  I was always taught wearing a uniform as a veteran is technically only permitted during special occasions such as those centered around military service and family events including military funerals, military weddings, etc. or military-themed holiday events such as the 4th of July.

Hopefully veterans in this forum, much more qualified than I, will lend their advice to you.

Sorry Stumble,  I didn't see your response before my comment to TTS!  Your point is a good one!  Thank you!

Edited by mysty

On a similar point - UK veterans wouldn't normally wear Awards and Decorations, or Miniatures outside a military event. On recognised national occasions such as a state funeral or wedding, Remembrance day service or parade, or a similarly significant event, medals are widely worn. Also, direct next-of-kin may wear the late owner's medals at such occasions where they are representing that late relative but the medals would be worn on the right side, not the left. 

For serving members medal ribbon bars are worn on formal dress, the medals themselves only when stated by the relevant event's admin instruction. 

To see a UK vet flashing the tin on board ship would make me wince. 

Yes - I can be this boring! 

Edited by Tothesunset
  • Like 2