Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

2 hours ago, drron29 said:

It is a small world. I have had lunch with Sir Zelman. We were both on stage at a public debate.

I had a few contacts with him too before he became GG. We were at the same University College though he predated me by a year or two!!!!!! He was one of the greatest academic lawyers of the English-speaking world.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, turtlemichael said:

I had a few contacts with him too before he became GG. We were at the same University College though he predated me by a year or two!!!!!! He was one of the greatest academic lawyers of the English-speaking world.

My great-aunt was in regular contact with him but genuinely didn’t know what his job was.  She simply thought he had a good job in the government.  

When we were talking about going to Oz to try it, she wrote and told him and he replied asking that we make contact and he’d put us uo and look after us.  It was only when she showed me his letters that I realised.  I tried to explain to her what the GG was but she couldn’t grasp it.  So I said “Zelman is The Queen”.  She looked at me worryingly and said “Zelman is a man and doesn’t have a handbag”.  

We wrote and thanked him and often thought what might have been if we’d gone.

Many years ago I met a lovely couple on an SS cruise who it turned out were childhood friends and she had been a bridesmaid at their wedding. 

It is indeed a very small world.

Jeff

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, turtlemichael said:

Whenever anyone talks of him they do so fondly and with reverence. 

Jeff

• Like 2

AC gave out here at home sometime today, technician here as of a few minutes ago, I know it's after hours but I hope he can take me seriously with my chianti glass in hand. Forecast is we are up in the 90's F next 7 days or so.

Thinking I should post on one of the complaints ridden topics - hey, AC fails happen & you just call whomever, treat the person who shows up with respect, then just deal with it as the fix is determined!

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, QueSeraSera said:

AC gave out here at home sometime today, technician here as of a few minutes ago, I know it's after hours but I hope he can take me seriously with my chianti glass in hand. Forecast is we are up in the 90's F next 7 days or so.

Thinking I should post on one of the complaints ridden topics - hey, AC fails happen & you just call whomever, treat the person who shows up with respect, then just deal with it as the fix is determined!

You are a reasonable and kind hearted soul QSS!  The world needs more folks like you! 🥰

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, QueSeraSera said:

If you want him to make you seriously Cooler you’ll need to ditch the Chianti and pour something white. And he will take pity on you. 

I don’t know about anyone else but I enjoy tipping more now than when I was younger.  It’s a privilege to be fortunate to be able to afford a tip and hopefully be rewarded with a smile.

Perhaps a small pourboire and a nicely chilled white boire? 

What will be will be. Hope it is fixed.

🙂

Jeff

Edited by UKCruiseJeff
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, QueSeraSera said:

Hope it’s sorted soon QSS. It’s like winter here right now. I’ve lit the fire the last 2 nights.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, DavyWavey70 said:

Hope it’s sorted soon QSS. It’s like winter here right now. I’ve lit the fire the last 2 nights.

Should come back to Queensland where it is winter. Colder than usual with our minimum temperature only in single digits. Today also colder than usual with maximum 20C. Next few days it gets back to a more usual winter's day of 22C.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, drron29 said:

Should come back to Queensland where it is winter. Colder than usual with our minimum temperature only in single digits. Today also colder than usual with maximum 20C. Next few days it gets back to a more usual winter's day of 22C.

And I’m currently in Oslo where it is summer and expecting a high of 17C today. 

• Like 4

Almost midsummer here in Lincs., 9 at present and possibly up to 16 this afternoon. Last year, however, it reached a record 40 one day a few miles from me, and the man installing my new heating boiler could not work, even with all the fans I had in the house.  

• Like 2

Yes, fudge that would be too hot for most of us.  Do you all tend to have aircon, though?  It is still unusual (and rarely needed) in the UK.  Maybe will be more so in the near future of course.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lincslady said:

Yes, fudge that would be too hot for most of us.  Do you all tend to have aircon, though?  It is still unusual (and rarely needed) in the UK.  Maybe will be more so in the near future of course.

Last April we made a decision to install solar panels on the roof, yes, it may take about 4 yrs to recoup the cost however, we put the air con on at 07.00 hrs until bed time. Even the pool is warm, our electric bill is less than £4 per month.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, gnome12 said:

And I’m currently in Oslo where it is summer and expecting a high of 17C today. 

We will be there soon on our way to Svalbard.  It will be quite the change from the 90’s (32) here in Maryland.

Edited by Emtbsam
  • Like 3

Good Evening Coolers!

A rainy day here at Balcony@Seaside.  We’ve been here nearly three weeks now.

Tonight’s supper was a Cantonese delivery and as usual being unable to choose I ordered everything I couldn’t delete and it was far too much and then felt guilty about it.  The great thing is that ordering from a good restaurant meant restaurant quality.  The bad thing was she yearned for prawn balls with sweet and sour and she got chicken.  Why is it I feel guilty?  😟

Have a good evening all.

Jeff

IMG_5737.jpeg

• Like 3

6 hours ago, fudge said:

Last April we made a decision to install solar panels on the roof, yes, it may take about 4 yrs to recoup the cost however, we put the air con on at 07.00 hrs until bed time. Even the pool is warm, our electric bill is less than £4 per month.

fudge, lovely to see you posting! 🙂

I happened to see photographs in my piccy library of my last home made sheftalia and  it does seem to me that you might indulge us if asked nicely with some food piccies from The North.  How about it? 

🙏

Jeff

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

Our group had dinner on the 5th floor of the Reykjavík Opera House tonight, the perfect position to see Silver Wind arrive in port.  It was early due to bad weather at some stage.  I board her tomorrow.

IMG_4974.thumb.jpeg.e0f3cca6ff282c07c87d13be2bcaf77d.jpeg

IMG_4976.thumb.jpeg.80b8886c7fb6642089229a51dcc5a1a0.jpeg

• Like 11