Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

Feeling so much better, thanks for asking.  Some post-operative discomfort but so worth it.  Taking first glass (or 2) of wine tonight.

6 minutes ago, Lois R said:

why not do some upgrades

Doing the same here - just ordered a new computer desk.  Thinking I'd like front loading washer & dryer but hard to justify while the 10+ yo Maytag top loader keeps chugging along...

• Like 2

On 11/12/2020 at 7:47 PM, spinnaker2 said:

Haven t found a gator yet but plenty of pygmy rattlesnakes and one black racer in the pool

All this rain is really bringing the snakes out in Florida.  Besides the racers, and pygmies, saw our first diamond back last week.

4 hours ago, PaulMCO said:

All this rain is really bringing the snakes out in Florida.  Besides the racers, and pygmies, saw our first diamond back last week.

OMG. Please no! I know there are plenty of them in the Panhandle! 

Cuidado Paul and thanks for the heads up.

Spins and Stumbles, this is your wake up call.  Know you were both up late but there's a new day dawning out there!

Changing gears, has anyone ever visited Samoa?  Dreaming a bit, but eventually we will be traveling again.

Edited by QueSeraSera
spelling - one or 2 L in traveling?
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

The squirrels are definitely bulking up around here too. Chris took this picture a few days ago, of this porker. And like mysty, I am doing my best to not resemble this guy.

20201114_073714.thumb.jpg.1c94fcaccfe5e00bdce6102ca934af40.jpg

Edited by jpalbny
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, silkismom said:

Our dishwasher (kitchenaid) is the only appliance in our house not replaced since we built in 1993. 

WOW.....that must be an excellent appliance😀

2 hours ago, QueSeraSera said:

Spins and Stumbles, this is your wake up call.  Know you were both up late but there's a new day dawning out there!

Changing gears, has anyone ever visited Samoa?  Dreaming a bit, but eventually we will be traveling again.

Que 

Not visited Samoa. But look at Samos in Greece.

11 hours ago, PaulMCO said:

Fortunately, no snakes near our home, etc., here in Central Ohio.  BUT, as a wildlife update, here was one of our frequent visitors last weekend.  Not just do we have various deer roaming around in our ravine location, but this one deciding to "camp out" and get very comfortable right next to our patio and family room.  Does she look like she is enjoying the relaxing view?

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

CMC_2136.jpeg.3d84c47bb3a48cd32d9e8268d6f93e17.jpeg

• Like 1

In the dishwasher confessions tale...

We have a fisher & paykel double dishdrawer  which we have loved for its versatility and extreme quiet.

Its terrific for entertaining because you can run the drawers together or separately. The upper drawer is easy to load without a lot of bending.

Sadly of late one of the drawers motherboard has frizzled and can not be fixed without incurring large costs. In these Covid times I  just keep using the single bottom drawer until it goes too. Then I will replace the whole thing. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, QueSeraSera said:

Which Samoa?  There are actually two . . . on different sides of the International Date Line in the middle of the South Pacific. Which one are you considering for your visit?

In late February 2020 as a part of our New Zealand to French Polynesia sailing/adventure, we were scheduled to visit BOTH of these locations.  On the same date!!   Feb. 28, for Apia, Samoa, docked, 10 am-8 pm and then Feb. 28, for Pago Pago, American Samoa, docked, 7 am-5 pm.  Both stops were going to be on Feb. 28 due to the unique factor of crossing that date line that separates these locations.  Hard to believe that you could be in two different locations on the same date??!!

Samoa (or Western Samoa as it is also was called) earlier is home to spectacular rainforests, waterfalls, sand dunes, beaches, etc. Writer Robert Louis Stevenson spent the last four years of his life here and is buried on Mount Vaea.  There is interesting history there as Germany, United Kingdom, and United States were locked in a battles and dispute over who should control the Samoa Islands during the late 1800's.  It is an independent country now after involvement by the League of Nations, New Zealand, United Nations, etc.

American Samoa is a territory of the United States with five main islands and two coral atolls. Their population is approximately 55,689 people. American Samoa is the southernmost territory of the United States and one of only two U.S. territories south of the Equator.

As the Covid situation was ramping up in February, Western Samoa was the first during our cruise to "adjust the schedule" by announcing "No Visitors!!"  Then as we got closer during our sailing, American Samoa also became closed off to visitors.  Had to adjust!!  These islands remember in their history when "white men" brought bad health challenges to their peoples and they did not want any risks even as early as late February 2020.  

Loved the South Pacific, especially in and around Bora Bora and Raiatea.  Happy to share more details and specifics if needed.  

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Sydney to NZ/Auckland Adventure, live/blog 2014 sampling/details with many exciting visuals and key highlights.  On page 23, post #571, see a complete index for all of the pictures, postings.  Now at 231,463 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, spinnaker2 said:

30 minutes ago, TLCOhio said:

Which Samoa?  There are actually two . . . on different sides of the International Date Line in the middle of the South Pacific.

Hopefully we will visit the Samoas on our next cruise, scheduled for 2022.  Going the opposite way from Terry, we will visit them on consecutive days, January 30 and February 1!

Pago Pago, Tutuila, American Samoa, 30JAN22

Apia, Upolo, Samoa, 01FEB22

39 minutes ago, TLCOhio said:

As the Covid situation was ramping up in February, Western Samoa was the first during our cruise to "adjust the schedule" by announcing "No Visitors!!"  Then as we got closer during our sailing, American Samoa also became closed off to visitors.  Had to adjust!!  These islands remember in their history when "white men" brought bad health challenges to their peoples and they did not want any risks even as early as late February 2020.

We had a similar situation in March, when Tristan Da Cunha, remembering previous diseases, did not let us land.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, spinnaker2 said:

I didn't know there were time restrictions. My bad.

But then why are you reading posts before 4 am?

No restrictions.  I was just teasing.  But, I think you know that.  I just found it funny you had probably awoken for the new day while I was still enjoying the old before going to bed. 😉

• Haha 2