Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

17 hours ago, jpalbny said:

Dinner was delish. The duck was yummy and my almond-cranberry tart has induced a sugar coma.

Sound like great, tasty treats from J.P. and others for Thanksgiving.  Below is our summary.  Even with just the two of us confined at home, my wife did the full "TRADITIONAL" effort.  Wonderful!!  See the roasted turkey breakfast below.  Plus a visual from doing a video hook-up with our son and two grandsons down in Virginia.  They had planned to drive up to Ohio for the holiday, but the rising Covid numbers scrubbed that plan.  Video connections are not perfect, but it was a fun way to see each other, update and learn more, etc.  

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

AFRICA?!!?: Fun, interesting visuals, plus travel details from this early 2016 live/blog. At 50,482 views. Featuring Cape Town, South Africa’s coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

Below is the "before" and "after" from our turkey breast being roasted yesterday.  This was prepared "Turkey a la Theodore", named in honor of our one grandson who super loves bacon.  Like the bacon connection?  Very, very good, especially for me when I put on lots and lots of gravy for the mashed potatoes, dressing, etc.  Third is the video connection via my laptop with our son and grandsons in Virginia.  In person is better, but a nice, long video hook-up can also be fun, interesting and informative.:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these visuals larger/better!)

IMG_5594.jpeg.b2b0813c8c328f9d2458d37556a5231e.jpeg

IMG_5610.jpeg.033a19142a34a9ee771c23b65126a001.jpeg

IMG_5602.jpeg.26dc6098374aa78bf8913308db1cc0ec.jpeg

• Like 2

The sun just came out here in Central Ohio.  That's helps us as we recover from the cloudy holiday weather yesterday.  Am totally avoiding the "Black Friday" shopping mess.  Why go out in the crowds to buy things that are not really needed?

1863679376_ScreenShot2020-11-27at1_03_54PM.thumb.png.c13cc544b4a2494cbe852a65aa87ce99.png

1852726955_ScreenShot2020-11-27at1_04_14PM.png.7df88105d5bb4d884e08037878d8b91e.png

Hi Terry, I don't think I have a seen a turkey cooked with bacon before.  I have heard that

saying "everything tastes better with bacon".....so why not turkey?😃.  Hope it came out

good!

JP, a call with so many cousins sounds really fun. Hope everyone enjoyed it🙂

22 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Hi Terry, I don't think I have a seen a turkey cooked with bacon before.  I have heard that

saying "everything tastes better with bacon".....so why not turkey?😃.  Hope it came out

good!

JP, a call with so many cousins sounds really fun. Hope everyone enjoyed it🙂

I always roast a chicken or a guinea fowl with streaky bacon laid over the breast (with a couple of lumps of butter under the bacon) - it helps keep the breast moist.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TLCOhio said:

Why go out in the crowds to buy things that are not really needed?

I often ask myself that same question... the amount of money NOT spent of useless crap has more than paid for upgrades while traveling... several times over.....

Joseph

• Like 1

We were late to order our free range heritage turkey from local barefoot hippy farmers, and thus had to take what they had, which was a 23# behemoth.  This for my wife and I and our daughter, who is home for the pandemic duration.  I thought it would be fun to try smoking this year, and thus violated the first rule of every piece of smoker advice I read about turkeys, which is NEVER cook your first one for Thanksgiving. Oh, well!  Couldn't find anything that the bird would fit in and would then fit in the smoker, but final grabbed the oval Le Creuset pot and crammed the bird in breast down.  5 hours later, I flipped the bird, breast up, to finish.  

This is a fairly serious Cookshack SM045 electric smoker, built in Oklahoma by (I'm sure) card-carrying rednecks who weld these things up between drinking Duff beer and maybe attending rodeo's - I'm not sure.  Anyway,  cut up an onion, an apple and some garlic for the cavity, rubbed the skin with some spice mix, and put a few chunks of apple wood in the smoker, then fired it up at 6 am.  11 hours later, it was up to temperature, and took it out.  Here's a photo.  This was one tasty turkey, and the drippings seen in the pan made for a really nice gravy.   If I did it again, I would order earlier, so can get a reasonable size bird, and keep the temperature up at recommended 250 F - I chickened out when I thought it would be done too soon - should have listened to the smart people who have done this before.  The meat was very moist, and infused with a nice smoke flavor without being overpowering.  Had the best turkey sandwich for breakfast this AM - turkey, mayo and red onion, on crusty sourdough, with some cranberry relish on the side.  

IMG_5383.JPG

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, Will Work for Tiramisu said:

We were late to order our free range heritage turkey from local barefoot hippy farmers, and thus had to take what they had, which was a 23# behemoth.  This for my wife and I and our daughter, who is home for the pandemic duration.  I thought it would be fun to try smoking this year, and thus violated the first rule of every piece of smoker advice I read about turkeys, which is NEVER cook your first one for Thanksgiving. Oh, well!  Couldn't find anything that the bird would fit in and would then fit in the smoker, but final grabbed the oval Le Creuset pot and crammed the bird in breast down.  5 hours later, I flipped the bird, breast up, to finish.  

This is a fairly serious Cookshack SM045 electric smoker, built in Oklahoma by (I'm sure) card-carrying rednecks who weld these things up between drinking Duff beer and maybe attending rodeo's - I'm not sure.  Anyway,  cut up an onion, an apple and some garlic for the cavity, rubbed the skin with some spice mix, and put a few chunks of apple wood in the smoker, then fired it up at 6 am.  11 hours later, it was up to temperature, and took it out.  Here's a photo.  This was one tasty turkey, and the drippings seen in the pan made for a really nice gravy.   If I did it again, I would order earlier, so can get a reasonable size bird, and keep the temperature up at recommended 250 F - I chickened out when I thought it would be done too soon - should have listened to the smart people who have done this before.  The meat was very moist, and infused with a nice smoke flavor without being overpowering.  Had the best turkey sandwich for breakfast this AM - turkey, mayo and red onion, on crusty sourdough, with some cranberry relish on the side.  

IMG_5383.JPG

O yum!!!

Lol too

19 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

Hi Coolers! 

Went hiking for a few hours this morning at Ausable Chasm, in Northern New York. 

Burned a bite of yesterday's dessert, maybe.

The views were nice and it wasn't crowded.

Beautiful spot JP!  We took our kids there in 1989.  They loved it!  At the time there was a boat ride.  Not sure if it is offered anymore.  Your pics brought back fond memories!  Thank You!

Many great, fun and interesting posts here at The Cooler.  Sun coming out nicely now this morning here in Central Ohio.  Now 35F.  Will be high of 48F.  On Monday and Tuesday, we will be getting snow!!  Winter is coming!!

Below are some quotes from a couple of new characters.  Both are well-known TV stars from here in the U.S..  

1249259675_ScreenShot2020-11-28at8_43_29AM.png.e8f3158dc7fdfe9b907938868bc11402.png

1466198551_ScreenShot2020-11-28at8_47_09AM.png.9e299744a043c950818dc2d701fe21c7.png

• Like 1