Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

Hi JP, you know they gave me the paperwork (pictures) after the procedure--you can still see the small white area that is the ulcer. I know it should all be pink. Hopefully taking the pills twice a day will get my stomach back to the correct color all the way around!

I hope your hand will be ok!  It does not sound fun to be bitten by a cat😲

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Lois R said:

Good morning, well, had my endoscopy and the Dr said I still have a small ulcer (not a bleeding one thank goodness)...it is the same one as before and it is healing. He is having me double my prescription and I go see him again 3 weeks.   I have been taking 1 pill a day so now I take it twice daily.    Thankfully, it is nothing worse and I still feel fine....so that is a good thing.

Glad that Lois is headed in the right, improving direction, hopefully!!  Good luck!

Saw below on the Internet.  Cute item of clothing??  I don't think it would be wise to order one of these for my wife.  She would not appreciate this type/sense of humor!!  Right?

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

881103477_ScreenShot2020-12-02at5_50_29PM.thumb.png.d082013f216441f70a04b84191b455af.png

• Like 1

Terry - if she is anything like me she would be delighted to wear it - though mainly round the  house.  Covers my attitude perfectly, though I can be as guilty of the odd bit of stupidity as anyone.

Sorry about your hand, jp.  The problem if you are a cat lover you will forgive pretty well anything,  they are so beautiful.  I guess most of us are either dog or cat types, though I know a few who like both.  I am definitely for felines, like their disdainful attitude.  And suppose my own personality is more catlike than doglike.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Stumblefoot said:

Yet another reason to not have a cat?

Now now. Chris likes her. We've had this silly cat for 18+ years now and she's still terrified of me. Chris can pet her but I can't touch her.

20200926_205928.thumb.jpg.9e4f741ad48c6cee8bde50e06eab057e.jpg

She doesn't look like a killer, does she? At her advanced age, I didn't think she could still move that fast!

My sister referred to cat teeth as "little bacteria-laden daggers" which probably isn't far from the truth. 

Almost lunch time. I made rigatoni with guanciale and parmesan, with lots of pepper. Kind of like pasta cacio e pepe, with extra flavor. I used Madagascar wild pepper for a different flavor profile. It's delicious. 

20201202_215710.thumb.jpg.b89a3d884d3989a8bf008f3d540655b6.jpg

I put a few overripe tomatoes in for extra body. I still have some from the garden that I picked 5 weeks ago. They're all ripe now but they are better cooked than raw. Still, amazing to have fresh garden tomatoes in December! 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

There's not been a lot happening on Cruise Critic for a long time now. (Can't think why!)

But in browsing around places I haven't visited in a while I stumbled across this thread and it struck me that more fun is being had here than anywhere else I've looked. And in my book fun places are the place to be!

It has been a while since we cruised with Silversea but an agent called me the other day (I had browsed the web site and that was enough for them to pounce!) and told me I had 70 days on their VS records. Crikey - more than I thought.

Well, one thing has led to another and it looks like we will be on Dawn in 2023 - '21 and '22 already being spoken for on our calendar. A long time to wait but I do like having things to look forward to. It certainly will be interesting to see the latest version of the Silversea product. Previous experiences were on Spirit, Cloud, Shadow and Explorer.

Thanks for the entertaining thread - and excuse me for butting in.

Adrian

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, Noggins said:

There's not been a lot happening on Cruise Critic for a long time now. (Can't think why!)

But in browsing around places I haven't visited in a while I stumbled across this thread and it struck me that more fun is being had here than anywhere else I've looked. And in my book fun places are the place to be!

It has been a while since we cruised with Silversea but an agent called me the other day (I had browsed the web site and that was enough for them to pounce!) and told me I had 70 days on their VS records. Crikey - more than I thought.

Well, one thing has led to another and it looks like we will be on Dawn in 2023 - '21 and '22 already being spoken for on our calendar. A long time to wait but I do like having things to look forward to. It certainly will be interesting to see the latest version of the Silversea product. Previous experiences were on Spirit, Cloud, Shadow and Explorer.

Thanks for the entertaining thread - and excuse me for butting in.

Adrian

We actively encourage butting in here at the Cooler Bar  Adrian!  Please butt to your heart's content! 😁

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Here's a bit of joy to look forward to.  The Christmas Star!

https://www.popsugar.com/smart-living/jupiter-saturn-christmas-star-48024008?utm_medium=facebook&utm_source=post&utm_campaign=frontdoor&fbclid=IwAR2KSfURaMJ92SRZobmU97t5TPv5Pwpos6nfDQaTxK5FsF79w_TLy-DAuNg

tmp_qx7eIf_e33f7336cc97b143_GettyImages-987365304.jpg.b88c1396643d367db0463d3b362dbcc4.jpg

"As 2020 comes to a close, the solar system has decided to grace us with a cosmic Christmas miracle that hasn't been witnessed in nearly 800 years. On Dec. 21 (aka the December solstice), Jupiter and Saturn will align so closely in the night sky that they'll almost appear to collide from our vantage point here on Earth, creating a radiant point of light often referred to as the "Star of Bethlehem" or the "Christmas Star."

"You'd have to go all the way back to just before dawn on March 4, 1226, to see a closer alignment between these objects visible in the night sky."
"Alignments between these two planets are rather rare, occurring once every 20 years or so, but this conjunction is exceptionally rare because of how close the planets will appear to be to one another," said Patrick Hartigan, an astronomer at Rice University, according to Forbes. "You'd have to go all the way back to just before dawn on March 4, 1226, to see a closer alignment between these objects visible in the night sky."

The event, sometimes referred to as The Great Conjunction, occurs roughly every 19 to 20 years, but this is the closest the planets will line up in the night sky since the Middle Ages. Technically, Saturn will be 10 au (astronomical units) from Earth, and Jupiter will be 5 au away, but they will appear to be less than the diameter of a full moon apart.

To catch a glimpse of the phenomenon for yourself, make sure you have a clear view to the southwest about 45 minutes after sunset. The planets will be at their closest on Dec. 21, but the "Christmas Star" will be visible from anywhere on Earth for about one hour after sunset in the northern hemisphere for the entire fourth week of December. If you're viewing with a telescope, you may also be able to see Jupiter and Saturn's largest moons orbiting them that week. The next Great Conjunction this close won't happen until March 15, 2080, so be sure to take a peek out your window later this month for a brilliant holiday treat." 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, mysty said:

This is how I imagine the Cooler Bar.....as an adult Mad Hatter's Tea Party (substituting the tea with alcohol).....

Screen-Shot-2019-05-31-at-10_42.56-AM.jpg.fa16980e9644de2d52f8b6c71dbd239a.jpg

Yes Mysty, I imagine it is much like the above picture.

I have always been enamored of the Mad Hatter and of course, Alice.

As a young student at the AADA I played the Duchess in a production. Her lines were the best! I still remember them. I played opposite a wonderful Rabbit, Linda Hunt, who managed to achieve fame and fortune.

I, on the other hand, not so much!

😄

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, spinnaker2 said:

As a young student at the AADA I played the Duchess in a production. Her lines were the best! I still remember them. I played opposite a wonderful Rabbit, Linda Hunt, who managed to achieve fame and fortune.

😄

WOW spins, you hobnob with interesting folks!   Even outside the Cooler!  😁  Or maybe especially outside the Cooler!  😏

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, spinnaker2 said:

😄

Hi Spins, Linda Hunt? WOW.......she is a major player on NCIS LA!

Love the posts above except can't help but worry about a cat bite festering, JP.  If the cooler is the Mad Hatter's tea party, I must briefly call to order so that I can thank the many supportive posts made here for one another.  Let's toast those with, well, wine here but the drink of your choice!

Local tourism is a poor replacement for a cruise, but my wife Karen had some fun today going to Old Petersburg and Charles City County, Virginia.  She took a picture of the lunch served at Indian Fields restaurant:

image.thumb.png.be5b49a298cdab32d59ed4f554ad994e.png

Arugula salad with falafel in foreground, incredible pimento cheese (she brought some home) with crunchy something or another to dip in the middle, and her friend's burger and fries in the background.

Crab cakes for dinner here tonight

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

How to Maintain a Healthy Level of  Insanity in Old Age

At lunch time, sit in your parked car with sunglasses on, point a hair dryer at passing cars, and watch them slow down!

On all your check stubs, write, "For Sexual Favors"

Skip down the street rather than walk, and see how many looks you get.

With a serious face, order a Diet Water whenever you go out to eat.

Sing along at The Opera.

When the money comes out of the ATM, scream 'I Won! I Won!'

When leaving the Zoo, start running towards the car park, yelling, 'Run For Your Lives! They're Loose!'

Tell your children over dinner, 'Due to the economy, we are going to have to let one of you go....'

Pick up a box of condoms at the pharmacy, go to the counter, and ask where the fitting room is.

And the Final Way to Keep a Healthy Level of Insanity....  

Go to a large department store's fitting room, drop your drawers to your ankles, and yell out, "There's no paper in here!"

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Some several postings ago I showed you a picture of a venison wellington I had cooked as a sort of dry-run for our main Christmas Day dish.  Well, yesterday we bought two lovely loins of red deer and put them in our freezer.  However, we may not be eating one of them on Christmas Day after all as we have rashly booked a three-night Christmas Package at a luxe hotel in Gwynedd, North Wales.  The devolved government in Wales are a stern bunch and have today banned the sale of alcohol and have effectively closed down all pubs, restaurants and hotels, a situation to be reviewed on 17 December.  However, our hotel is confident about being open for the Christmas Holiday even if they will be unable to serve us alcohol outside our room.  In that eventuality I plan to have a hip flask filled with Tignanello with a tube to the mouth.

https://www.palehall.co.uk

PS : We are thinking seriously about booking a Silver Wind trip in April 2022 to the Amazon.  Fab itinerary, just our sort of thing.

Edited by Fletcher
  • Like 4

Fletcher..Hope your Wales Xmas works out as I gather the English are no longer welcome a cross the border into Wales .Highly recommend your Amazon cruise which we were lucky enough to do in 2012 on Silversea.One of our most memorable cruises we have done with SS.Hopefully by 2022 cruising will have recommenced with some semblance of normality.

Many super cute and interesting items here at The Cooler.  I especially loved this one: 

"At lunch time, sit in your parked car with sunglasses on, point a hair dryer at passing cars, and watch them slow down!"

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

1936625100_ScreenShot2020-12-04at9_37_02AM.png.b70e0da5f9c077ef5c86d13d51c8db73.png

173903685_ScreenShot2020-12-04at9_37_14AM.png.c84f62d7475c99505ac717f2fc06e04b.png

2 hours ago, Fletcher said:

Some several postings ago I showed you a picture of a venison wellington I had cooked as a sort of dry-run for our main Christmas Day dish.  Well, yesterday we bought two lovely loins of red deer and put them in our freezer.  However, we may not be eating one of them on Christmas Day after all as we have rashly booked a three-night Christmas Package at a luxe hotel in Gwynedd, North Wales.  The devolved government in Wales are a stern bunch and have today banned the sale of alcohol and have effectively closed down all pubs, restaurants and hotels, a situation to be reviewed on 17 December.  However, our hotel is confident about being open for the Christmas Holiday even if they will be unable to serve us alcohol outside our room.  In that eventuality I plan to have a hip flask filled with Tignanello with a tube to the mouth.

https://www.palehall.co.uk

PS : We are thinking seriously about booking a Silver Wind trip in April 2022 to the Amazon.  Fab itinerary, just our sort of thing.

The hotel looks fabulous Fletcher hope it all goes ahead for you🎄🍾

Ps if it does can you send the venison to bath 😉