Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

24 minutes ago, SteveH2508 said:

Methinks somebody is really missing cruising and the associated pampering.

You misspelled *everybody. 

Vaccine lesson part 2. This is really quite accurate, and written much more succinctly than my earlier post.

FB_IMG_1608153225786.thumb.jpg.1cf58555b896f5dbcdd0e14e2ea883a8.jpg

And that's it, in a nutshell.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

You misspelled *everybody. 

Vaccine lesson part 2. This is really quite accurate, and written much more succinctly than my earlier post.

FB_IMG_1608153225786.thumb.jpg.1cf58555b896f5dbcdd0e14e2ea883a8.jpg

And that's it, in a nutshell.

Let's all hope that Bob is not off on break!  😁

5 hours ago, zqtchas said:

Here is our itinerary  for 2021 in case others on this thread might be interested so we can look for one another.

Whisper;  voyages WH210714012, 210726012, 210807014  (38 days) starting July 14,2021 in Iceland.

Shadow; voyage 29083-20 Athens r/t via  the Black sea Sep. 20, 2021 (15)

Dawn;  voyage 54856-19 FLL crossing Dec. 2, 2021  (13)

We will be on the Shadow with you.  We have booked the whole Grand Mediterranean cruise.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, QueSeraSera said:

Love Bob but still like your original explanation better JP.  Chas that music site is fun!  Do I need to be embarrassed that Monster Mash showed up on one of my years of interest?

Good morning🙂, many of the years have great songs for sure😃.   I  went through

multiples and forgot how good some of the older music sounds!

• Like 2

Snowmagedden! Snovid 2020! Whatever it was, it was a decidedly unpleasant commute today.

Over a foot last night and still falling this AM.

20201217_065545.thumb.jpg.89a4670032a1c181269cfea514066da5.jpg

Looks pretty out our back door. But the commute of 7 miles took 1h40 this morning! 

Cars stuck everywhere. Horrible traffic. Multiple standstills and U-Turns required... Hope the roads are better this afternoon! 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

Snowmagedden! Snovid 2020! Whatever it was, it was a decidedly unpleasant commute today.

Over a foot last night and still falling this AM.

20201217_065545.thumb.jpg.89a4670032a1c181269cfea514066da5.jpg

Looks pretty out our back door. But the commute of 7 miles took 1h40 this morning! 

Cars stuck everywhere. Horrible traffic. Multiple standstills and U-Turns required... Hope the roads are better this afternoon! 

Hope your day improves JP.  Safe voyage home!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, jpalbny said:

Snowmagedden! Snovid 2020! Whatever it was, it was a decidedly unpleasant commute today.  Over a foot last night and still falling this AM.  Looks pretty out our back door. But the commute of 7 miles took 1h40 this morning!   Cars stuck everywhere. Horrible traffic. Multiple standstills and U-Turns required... Hope the roads are better this afternoon! 

WOW!!!  Big, BIG dump of snow there in the Albany, NY, area.  Below is map that gives more details and specifics for Albany, Sarasota Springs, etc.  Those parts seemed to have been hit exceptionally hard hit compared to New York City and Philadelphia.  Based on this below map, parts of these areas had two feet plus of snow.  Good luck to all in that region.  

Fortunately, as pictured yesterday, our snow in Central Ohio was only a couple inches and looks super beautify in covering the trees, etc., but not making driving and roads too challenging here.  The Christmas season look is totally perfect at our location right now.  Really gets us in the "SPIRIT" for Christmas even if our families will not be able to visit.   

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Sydney to NZ/Auckland Adventure, live/blog 2014 sampling/details with many exciting visuals and key highlights.  On page 23, post #571, see a complete index for all of the pictures, postings.  Now at 231,920 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

From this below website, they had the exact snow fall amounts from around the Albany, NY, etc., areas.  Heavy! Heavy!!:

https://www.weather.gov/source/crh/snowmap.html?zoom=8&lat=41.20&lon=-77.19&hr=24

9871156_ScreenShot2020-12-17at10_56_56AM.thumb.png.a4f6e55c8b12b21710f12ab01b44b77d.png

• Like 2

Yes, all good and thanks for asking. The snow stopped before noon and the crews did a good job on the roads. Much better this afternoon! 

We got home in a little over 20 minutes, mainly because we got stuck following a Mercedes that seemingly was missing an accelerator pedal. Yes, there was still a little snow on the road but 20 in a 45 is a little too slow. 

There was enough light to shovel a bit of the front walk when we got home. Just a shovel width. I'll do the rest tomorrow. 

Cooked some thick pork chops for dinner tonight. Excellent with a Finger Lakes Riesling.

20201217_190500.thumb.jpg.65b2009b6ca84b42175c8a9936badb4d.jpg

Now almost bedtime after an exhausting day. I am taking tomorrow off and Chris is working from home. One drive like that is enough for this week.

The most stressful part of tomorrow may be buying a Christmas Goose. Have wanted to try one for years and I think this is the year.

The official total was 22.9 inches at the Albany Airport. Just a little more than my other most memorable storm in March 1993, my intern year. 22 inches fell on a Saturday and I was on call that Sunday. We lived within walking distance from the hospital. Unlucky for me!

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

The most stressful part of tomorrow may be buying a Christmas Goose. Have wanted to try one for years and I think this is the year.

You're still welcome to come to our neighborhood with a 7 iron.  Quite a nice selection!  [I will happily give directions in exchange for a home-grown Meyer Lemon!!!]

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, jpalbny said:

Goose is tricky.  I've cooked maybe half a dozen over the years.  Perfect for small parties of two to four people.  The main thing is that the skin must be very dry and cook it for only a short time at fairly high heat.  Theoretically this keeps the breast meat pink and the skin crisp.  The last few times I have gone Alsace and served the goose with braised red cabbage and dumplings.  The fat from the roasting tin is a massive bonus and keeps for many weeks in the fridge.

If there are any leftovers the next day, the meat can easily congeal and become dry but I have had success with turning it into a sloppy risotto. 

Good luck with it and I await a photo!

PS: Our Christmas visit to the hotel in Snowdonia in Wales is now off.  Very sad but inevitable I suppose given the rapidly declining situation.

Edited by Fletcher
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the tips, Fletcher. Will definitely start preparing it now so that the skin is dry when it's time to cook. The butcher shop that I'm going to opens at 10AM, so that will be my quest this morning. Poor Chris will be working all day but I'm off.

Don't mean to pre-empt Mysty but Chris and I found this funny today. Cheers and happy weekend all!

FB_IMG_1608290597809.jpg.d32b076fe72c9c2df9b9f9fb0e18fdc4.jpg

Edited by jpalbny
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Rotten luck, Fletcher - even more so for the poor hoteliers and restaurant owners, like Pale Hall and Daveywavey, who have gone to such lengths to accommodate the rules.

It seems that this 'new wave' is infecting all the London commuter belt badly, my daughter in a little village in West Berks is suddenly in tier three - and their infection rate has gone up from nearly nothing to above the national average.  A photo on today's Times front page of students at Edinburgh disporting themselves in their swimsuits  - no masks, no distancing, no comment in the paper.  Presumably about to go home to parents and grandparents.

If this is a variant of the basic virus, let's hope the brilliant scientists and medics will be able to sort it out, if necessary.

Apart from that, everything is wonderful!

Lola

• Like 2