CRUISES TO THE CARIBBEAN-do you pick your cruise based on the ship/and or ports?

oldmom

I will decide first on the cruise, then check itineraries and ships doing them. My decision is in most cases is decided by the itinerary and ship doing them. I also look for an itinerary I haven't done. The daughter & I will do a Southern Caribbean in March of 2020. While there are some ports I have seen, rest are new and it will be the daughters first time to the Caribbean.

Usually it's for the itinerary and timing (still working darn it). However, the most recent booking was due to the room! Seriously, I was just looking to see what one of those suites everyone talks about would cost, and though, that isn't what I booked, I did get an aft. We are now bound for Hong Kong to sail Spectrum. Very exotic for us.

We select a cruise line and provided they maintain the level of service and quality we expect, we stay with them. With our current cruise line selecting a specific ship is a mute point as all 5 ships are almost identical and all 3 yrs old or less.

Therefore, our only decision is location, with timing based on availability, as we can go anytime.

We've cruised in the Caribbean so much that it's getting so the ports aren't that important. We look for any new ports (getting difficult to find) and prefer the Southern routes and longer cruise.

We mainly cruise the Caribbean to get away from winter weather in a relatively inexpensive way. Ship and cruise line are mostly immaterial.

Price is a big factor also; we look for a balcony for under $100 per night.

I have traveled to many places in the Caribbean. To be honest, they all have their similarities. I cruise now to see more places and get a sample of where I may want to come back for more than a day stop.

Ports are the number one priority for me

For me, I would definitely say port. Trying to avoid going to Nassau or Cozumel is a plus... And since there are still a few islands in the Caribbean I have yet to visit, trying to make them a somewhat priority is a thing. Although if I found something at a good price that works with my time frame I wouldn't be against it.

DCL Wonder, DCL Magic, NCL Epic, NCL Escape, Ruby Princess, NCL Getaway....picked because of the ship.

CCL Inspiration, NCL Jewel (2nd x), CCL Dream, CCL Glory, CCL Sunshine....picked because of embarkation port.

CCL Elation, NCL Jewel (1st x), and CCL Freedom (1st x)...picked because of itinerary.

CCL Destiny, CCL Freedom (2nd x), CCL Splendor, CCL Fantasy, CCL Magic...picked because of price.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Wow, if this thread is a survey for RC to determine whether they can build 100 more oasis class ships and get rid of all their smaller ships and never have to sail anywhere but Cozumel & Nassau, here’s their proof.

How sad ☹️

I’m sorry that disappoints you, but that’s just where my family is in our cruising tenure: we have two active school-aged kids, so it really does matter what ship we choose. And since we haven’t been on that many cruises yet (just four, with a fifth planned for this winter) we haven’t been to all the islands in the Eastern or Western Caribbean yet.

We will probably change our decision-making process as the kids get older, and as we run out of larger ports. But until then, this is what works for us.

Specific dates and price. We've been doing a winter Caribbean cruise for over 30 yrs now and we've been to just about every island in the Caribbean, some many many times over. We don't even get off the ship sometimes/some places. Specific ship is not critical and there are only a couple of lines we don't care to sail on after having been on them.