Hal Wine Package

pmjnh

This may be a silly question. If we were to purchase the wine package, when we choose which wine we want for dinner, can we share it with our companions and if any left over, then bring to our room/ lounge for an evening libation?

This may be a silly question. If we were to purchase the wine package, when we choose which wine we want for dinner, can we share it with our companions and if any left over, then bring to our room/ lounge for an evening libation?

Should you have any left at dinner, the wine steward will also gladly keep your bottle for your next night or whenever you want it. If you have open seating you may have to request the bottle (which will have your room number with it), or if you have one of the regular seatings it likely will be at your table the next evening.

Neal in Cincinnati

I commend you for considering to share whatever wine you buy with your table mates. This used to be the polite thing to do and for many cruises I did. The proper etiquette for such a situation is for others at your table to reciprocate on other evenings, i.e. take turns for who buys the wine each evening. On one cruise, I initially bought wine for the table. Night two, I bought wine for the table. Night three, I bought wine for the table. Night four, I bought wine for myself and told the Wine Steward to serve it to me only. (He acted surprised at my request.) That was the last cruise that I even asked if sharing wine was something that my table mates would want to do. At first when I began ordering wine only for me, I felt "uncomfortable". No more. Once in awhile, I have had the pleasure of table mates who will once in awhile buying some wine for the table, but not on any regular basis.

The Wine Steward will happily keep your un-consumed bottle for you until you want it again. And, if you want to have more than one bottle of different wines in that category, that is not a problem either.

Your "saved" bottle should also be able to be obtained if you dine in one of the Specialty Restaurants and not in the MDR. (It does facilitate speed of wine service if you know that "tomorrow I will be dining in the PG" and you tell that to your Wine Steward.)

And - if you order a package and don't drink all of the bottles, you can take the extras home with you. We fly home and with safe packing methods have frequently traveled home with some favorite bottles!

I never considered that..thanks for the tip!

And thanks to all for your comments.

I commend you for considering to share whatever wine you buy with your table mates. This used to be the polite thing to do and for many cruises I did. The proper etiquette for such a situation is for others at your table to reciprocate on other evenings, i.e. take turns for who buys the wine each evening. On one cruise, I initially bought wine for the table. Night two, I bought wine for the table. Night three, I bought wine for the table. Night four, I bought wine for myself and told the Wine Steward to serve it to me only. (He acted surprised at my request.) That was the last cruise that I even asked if sharing wine was something that my table mates would want to do. At first when I began ordering wine only for me, I felt "uncomfortable". No more. Once in awhile, I have had the pleasure of table mates who will once in awhile buying some wine for the table, but not on any regular basis.

The Wine Steward will happily keep your un-consumed bottle for you until you want it again. And, if you want to have more than one bottle of different wines in that category, that is not a problem either.

Your "saved" bottle should also be able to be obtained if you dine in one of the Specialty Restaurants and not in the MDR. (It does facilitate speed of wine service if you know that "tomorrow I will be dining in the PG" and you tell that to your Wine Steward.)

I remember the days when that was a regular "thing".... >sigh< :)

Yes you can most certainly share your wine!

I remember those days as well -- we even sat at tables for 4 and 6 people back then. Then we noticed the demographics of people assigned to tables was changing. We stopped sharing bottles of wine when no one else reciprocated. And finally we just asked for tables for 2.

I remember those days as well -- we even sat at tables for 4 and 6 people back then. Then we noticed the demographics of people assigned to tables was changing. We stopped sharing bottles of wine when no one else reciprocated. And finally we just asked for tables for 2.

Can you explain, "the demographics of people assigned to tables was changing?"

Regarding wine packages: We found on long cruises, the wine we liked many others liked as well, and they ran out towards the later weeks (7 weeks cruises). So we learned to ask for the bottles of our choice to be brought to our stateroom early on. Then we would bring them to the dining room ourselves, a day ahead if we wanted to have them chilled. We only a glass with dinner so a bottle lasts. I will add that when they did run out of our selection they offered us something that was not on the package at no additional cost.

I have requested a pour from our open bottle that the wine steward had held while I was in the Ocean Bar... I was holding a table for two for that evening's Folkloric Spanish Guitarist's performance, so I asked the server if she could get my bottle from the dining room stash and she was very happy to, just needed my room number. I left her a tip for her extra service but I doubt she expected it. So I had my wine while waiting and for the performance, and I had my excellent seat also. m--

Regarding wine packages: We found on long cruises, the wine we liked many others liked as well, and they ran out towards the later weeks (7 weeks cruises). So we learned to ask for the bottles of our choice to be brought to our stateroom early on. Then we would bring them to the dining room ourselves, a day ahead if we wanted to have them chilled. We only a glass with dinner so a bottle lasts. I will add that when they did run out of our selection they offered us something that was not on the package at no additional cost.

I have requested a pour from our open bottle that the wine steward had held while I was in the Ocean Bar... I was holding a table for two for that evening's Folkloric Spanish Guitarist's performance, so I asked the server if she could get my bottle from the dining room stash and she was very happy to, just needed my room number. I left her a tip for her extra service but I doubt she expected it. So I had my wine while waiting and for the performance, and I had my excellent seat also. m--

Great info. Good to hear that the wine stewards can be so accomodating.

We've had the problem of HAL running out of the wine we like from a package, too. Have been offer a substitute from a better package and it worked out well.

I never considered that..thanks for the tip!

And thanks to all for your comments.

I think on just one cruise we had a whole bottle left. Thankfully I keep a couple of Wine Diapers ( embarrassing yet unforgettable name for a very handy product for those that travel and like wine)in our luggage. We safely packed the bottle all sealed up it the Wine Diaper and it made it home in our checked luggage just fine, no mess and keeps clothes safe from any potential breakage. They are on Amazon, reusable, and inexpensive. (y)

Can you explain, "the demographics of people assigned to tables was changing?"

KK can explain her comment for herself if she so chooses.

Personally, it was not a demographic of people change as much as it was a change as to what my fellow table mates chose to do. Some did not drink wine; some did not drink at all. Did any of these good people who shared my wine know the etiquette expected? I have no idea.

Therefore, I now order my wine at a shared table in the MDR for lunch or dinner and think nothing more about it.

I think on just one cruise we had a whole bottle left. Thankfully I keep a couple of Wine Diapers ( embarrassing yet unforgettable name for a very handy product for those that travel and like wine)in our luggage. We safely packed the bottle all sealed up it the Wine Diaper and it made it home in our checked luggage just fine, no mess and keeps clothes safe from any potential breakage. They are on Amazon, reusable, and inexpensive. (y)

I have never heard of those, what a wonderful invention, no more wrapping bottles in my clothes.

I have never heard of those, what a wonderful invention, no more wrapping bottles in my clothes.

We have something similar. Sealed with bubble wrap and then another plastic lining. The bottles (if we have some) always remain intact and the clothes are fine.

Necessary since the days of carry on have been eliminated.

What is the cost of the wine package? We are getting ready to book our first HA cruise. The current offer is the Explore 4 which would give us the standard drink package. Since my husband, doesn't drink alcohol and I mostly drink wine, this "deal" might not work for us. Knowing the wine package cost in advance for a 10-day cruise would be very helpful. I have attempted to find out pricing on the HA site and am experiencing difficulty without actually having a booking.

What is the cost of the wine package? We are getting ready to book our first HA cruise. The current offer is the Explore 4 which would give us the standard drink package. Since my husband, doesn't drink alcohol and I mostly drink wine, this "deal" might not work for us. Knowing the wine package cost in advance for a 10-day cruise would be very helpful. I have attempted to find out pricing on the HA site and am experiencing difficulty without actually having a booking.

Here is a link to the latest wine packages:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/Wine-Packages.pdf

If one of you does not drink, you should ask your travel agent for a price "without" the Explore 4 package and buy a wine package onboard.

Explore 4 would probably not be a good idea for you guys. I'd call HAL and ask if there is a refundable fare that is not Explore 4 for your sailing. There usually is, though not always. Best to call. Website is hopeless.

Here is a great link for all beverage packages and menus by one of our CCers, Crew News. Just click on Wine Packages

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/specialty-2/hal-regular-and-specialty-restaurants/hal-beverage-menus