Tea time

AAAAmerican

It's listed in the food and beverage section because it is a food and beverage offering - even if it can be entertaining. I think on Princess it is the same.

The switch from events to food and beverage only happened 3 years ago on Carnival. Prior to that afternoon tea was only listed in the events section. Some here speculated Carnival made the change to serve fewer guests. I don't believe that. I will say we have noticed fewer guests attending since the change.

I wouldn't want to pay $2 for a brand that I might not like, so I would probably bring my own that I know I'd like (or bring a new assortment to try at a cheaper per bag price).

There isn't a tea corkage charge. You can buy the same $2 tea for less $$$ and bring with you. But why not try at home first, so you only bring something you like?

You must be going on different cruise lines then me . First most lines do not have free afternoon tea . Second most charge for "premium tea' . I believe only HAL offered these teas for free .I know Celebrity , RCI , and NCL charge extra . Not sure about Princess but believe they charge . And yet you want Carnival , who's rates are generally the lowest to not attempt to improve their bottom line ?

It's clearly about the money for the cheapest of the cheap .

On any of the cruise lines you mentioned, you can get as many mint tea bags as you like. along with about 10 other choices, from regular, to green, to orange to Chamomile etc. You get the point. This is NOT rocket science here. No one said anything about 'premium' tea, just a plain mint tea bag, or whatever other flavors might be available.

Name ONE other cruise line that just limits their tea bag selection to regular and green? Sorry Carnival takes that award, hands down.

Cheers

Len

Obviously you didn't take the time to ready my posts. I already said my DW beings her own tea bags. In fact she usually brings enough to supply most of our table every night.

It was NOT about the money but about Carnival being the only cruise line who does something as cheap as this.

Cheers

Len

[/quote

You mentioned that your wife will drink $70 in specialty tea for a 7 day cruise, so are you saying that you think Carnival should provide your specialty teas for the whole cruise at no extra charge or just during the tea time? I am sure everyone would wish that any cruise line would provide their favorite beverage at no additional cost, I guess I am not understanding how tea is different, and as you admit it is not about just one serving, you seem to expect it for the whole cruise. At home does the grocery story charge the same for her favorites as they do ordinary tea?

My DW drinks at least 5 cups of tea a day. If she weren't bringing her own tea bags and just wanted a cup of mint tea, that would cost her $1.95 for the tea bag. So if she drinks a cup or two at breakfast, another at lunch, maybe another one or two at tea time, after dinner another one or two and she loves a cup before she goes to bed, you do the math. At $1.95 each tea bag, over 7 days, it does add up.

This is not about favorite specialty beverage, just a plain old cup of say mint tea, or chamomile tea, something EVERY other cruise line provides for free. Do you consider a mint tea bag, a specialty tea?

Cheers

Len

There isn't a tea corkage charge. You can buy the same $2 tea for less $$$ and bring with you. But why not try at home first, so you only bring something you like?

I'm not sure where my post sounded like there was a corkage charge:confused:. I personally am fine with Lipton, but I know many like to try different/new things on a cruise and was offering suggestions of how to do that cheaper than the $2 per bag.

This is not about favorite specialty beverage, just a plain old cup of say mint tea, or chamomile tea, something EVERY other cruise line provides for free. Do you consider a mint tea bag, a specialty tea?

Cheers

Len

It doesn't really matter if we consider a mint tea specialty or not, but if the cruise line does. I agree that other lines do offer more variety of teas included in the fare. I found sometimes though that it was difficult to find just a plain tea in all the variety.

At least they do allow us to bring our own brand/flavor on board. I don't consider Dr. Pepper or Pepsi products to be specialty drinks, but Carnival does not carry them either.

There are always trade offs. If someone plans to cruise Carnival they need to accept that Carnival provides a different service than some other lines - including charging for most teas. If the tea (or any other limitation) is more important than the overall experience Carnival offers (price, fun, etc) then the passenger should choose a different line.

(I do understand wanting to gripe or suggest a little though - after all this site is cruise critic ;))

Free Tea Time....and the offerings are Black Lipton and Green Lipton. No wooden box offering other choices at a small charge....just do away with the that.

On the trolley when the servers come around...hot water, green or black tea bags, the yummy treats.

Then it would be completely free and you could drink the tea or not, but no charge.

I think it is a nice service that Carnival offers the choice to you. To prevent the constant criticism of the upcharge tea, it would be so much easier to just do away with those and keep just the free ones available.

Howdy,

Tea time is included what you paid your passage on/for.

If you like it , as we do, please tell your Travel Agent , Booking Agent, Carnival in Miami, Florida as well aboard.

This shall help you have many more times of Tea. The socaail aspect as well is wonderful meeting many people and having great conversation(s) and seeing them throughout the cruise and maybe more..

I have even met working dogs which was a pleasure.

Now acoming next week on another of my Embarkation Days is;

NATIONAL PIZZA DAY! A.D. 09/05/2018

Edited by AAAAmerican

My DW loves 'High tea' or whatever they call it now on sea days. It is a great break from other things. Myself, I am a veteran and the last couple of cruises on Carnival, they set up a couple of tables for us veterans (on the other side of the tea time).

I understand how some just say, no big deal and pay for any tea that isn't regular, but, you know what, that really turned us off from Carnival a few years ago. Say what you will that it is only a minor thing, and yes it is, but it irks us to no end. My DW loves a cup of mint tea with dinner, even before bedtime, and yes she brings her own little collection of tea with her, and to share with others who also hate that they can't get a herbal or flavored tea bag.

Believe me, it is NOT the money, but the nerve to charge for a tea bag. UGH

Cheers

Len

We get irked too about having to pay for anything besides the basic tea. I still like tea time! But I do miss it being all included without an extra charge. It is not the miney itself.

It would be easiest for Carnival to do away with a non-revenue producing activity and add another trivia.

Offering OPTIONAL teas for sale is a way to subsidize some of the cost. Of course, for people with Cheers, there is no surcharge. Cheers is an OPTION for people who object for paying for top shelf tea.

I think constant criticism is only from a few constant complainers. In typical fashion, the silent majority goes with the flow, has fun, and doesn't sweat something so petty as the cost of a tea bag.

I don't always make it to tea time, but I do enjoy it. Since I'm not a big tea drinker anyway, it doesn't bother me to stick with plain ole Lipton. I'm more about the little sammies & desserts. I do understand why people would be irked at having to pay extra to get a flavored or herbal. I mean, with the limited number of afternoon teas & the extremely limited number of people I see at tea, how much extra could it cost Carnival to continue to provide the variety they offered for free in the past? And, how much more could they possibly be making on selling a cup of tea to a handful of people at tea time? I don't think there have ever been more than 20-30 people at afternoon tea. I can understand the discontinuation of the pillow chocolates & toiletry basket better than I can understand the tea issue.

how much extra could it cost Carnival to continue to provide the variety they offered for free in the past?

In the past, Carnival offered Lipton and Bigelow which was basically the same. It would cost extra to offer premium teas. If your numbers are accurate (I have seen more), Carnival should probably discontinue as they dedicate a number of servers to tea time that might be better utilized elsewhere.

Besides tea, cruisers can also get coffee. That should be plenty for the vast majority who simply enjoy the event.

How would anyone feel, if they are coffee drinkers, and Carnival (or any cruise line), charged more for DeCaf, say $1.95 for every cup?

If one is a tea only drinker, having to pay for something different is annoying. How would you feel about paying for Decaf?

Cheers

Len

How would anyone feel, if they are coffee drinkers, and Carnival (or any cruise line), charged more for DeCaf, say $1.95 for every cup?

If one is a tea only drinker, having to pay for something different is annoying. How would you feel about paying for Decaf?

Cheers

Len

But... That's not the same. If it were charging extra for flavored coffee, you could compare it. But they already do that. They're not charging you extra for decaf tea. Flavored teas are different than just getting decaf... And I drink both tea and coffee. I'll bring my flavored tea and purchase my flavored coffees. It is what it is.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

Cheers

Len

Not even close. Carnival has standard coffee and Carnival has the coffee bar that sells premium coffee. Coffee drinkers don't whine about that, or, if they do, nobody cares.

If a couple of bucks was going to bankrupt me, I'd bring my own tea bags. Carnival is a mass market cruise line and with that comes buying supplies in huge quantities to get a good price and keep costs down. Obviously there is not mass market demand for decaffeinated tea.

BYOT,

Sometimes it may be well to bring your own tea. In Bags, Loose, Tea Balls.

One day as with other of Carnivals Cruise lines they may have In Cabin Tea boilers. A Cup-A-Tea really needs the temperature at /or near boiling.

Choices + choices and your voices are needed

BYOT,

Sometimes it may be well to bring your own tea. In Bags, Loose, Tea Balls.

One day as with other of Carnivals Cruise lines they may have In Cabin Tea boilers. A Cup-A-Tea really needs the temperature at /or near boiling.

Choices + choices and your voices are needed

..... if you really want to go down that road - that's not the case for green tea which should be brewed at a lower water temperature than black tea. There are actually many types of tea which require lower temperatures for steeping. :)

Phew! Looks like the battling is ending. let's every one take a neutral corner and take a deep breath. Maybe a cup of tea might help. The kind you pay for when you go to the store.

Poor Carnival. I can see them reading these posts and issuing a big sigh. To tea or not to tea, that is the question!

Well in any event, we have the Military at the Teas should their help be required. In case a battle breaks out like in these posts.

My cruise is purchased for March, 2019 and I plan to attend the teas because I like tea. Still debating whether I will buy a premium tea. That's the fun in cruising. Always some thing exciting going on and decisions to be made.