Celebrity Ship - Rumpole of the Bailey

DYKWIA

watching an old episode (from 1991) of Rumpole of the Bailey , which unusually features Horace Rumpole taking a Mediterranean cruise - most of the episode being clearly set on board a real ship instead of The O,d Bailey. During an on deck moment I couldn’t help but notice a big blue X on the funnel of what is obviously a very old ship.

A bit of research revealed it is clearly the S.S. Galileo / Meridian

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_Galileo_Galilei

Which was owned by Chandris then Celebrity

• Thanks 1

watching an old episode (from 1991) of Rumpole of the Bailey , which unusually features Horace Rumpole taking a Mediterranean cruise - most of the episode being clearly set on board a real ship instead of The O,d Bailey. During an on deck moment I couldn’t help but notice a big blue X on the funnel of what is obviously a very old ship.

Was on her I believe in 92, nice old ship. Sold and sunk after a fire.

Nice catch!

I sailed on the Meridian in a Starlight Suite ... no balcony, but a skylight with electric blind.

After the ship sank, one of my friends commented that they had converted my room into an Ocean Suite!

Now .... without being an extreme curmudgeon, are you sure that it's the Meridian?

The shape of the funnel makes it look much more like one of the old Chandris-Fantasy ships!

https://www.google.ca/search?q=chandris+fantasy+cruises&rlz=1C1OPRB_enCA572CA572&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwibuIO35IrdAhWCw4MKHdu5C_QQ_AUICigB&biw=1344&bih=704

In 1992 we sailed on Meridian to Bermuda. One of the best cruises we ever had. Old ship with extremely small cabins, but very elegant. The service and food were outstanding. It gave us the incentive to try Zenith and Horizon and we've been hooked every since.

This ship remember me my first cruise, with the captain hat, and labyrinth on moving between outside bridges, not this ship, but other Chandris' ones. Small portholes (the luckily one, many cabins below the water line). Old times, totally different way to cruise.

They served Chateau Thames Embankment on Chandris back then too I think;)

Phil

• 5 years later...

it was, as it shows in the episode, the Romanza, a chandris ship. as usual rumpole teaches a lesson and helps someone out of a difficult situation. during almost all the scenes shot onboard you can feel the rumble of the motors and the smell of the diesel smoke.

I loved Rumpole....the "Golden Thread" Have all the volumes..maybe  fun to re-read a few episodes. Videos still available as well! Thanks for the memories.

images.jpeg-2.jpg

Edited by hcat

Also 1993 episode of Keeping up Appearances. Too funny!

Hyacinth is looking forward to a spell of gracious living on the 'Queen Elizabeth II' while taking a holiday cruise. She soon changes her mind though when she discovers that, by some form of bad luck, Onslow and Daisy are also on board!

download.jpeg.jpg

• Haha 1

When my aunt and uncle sailed across from NY  on one if the Queens, .we all went in for a fancy BON VOYAGE party onboard.  It was quite  the gala.  After the party,  well wishers threw streamers from the pier! Guess that experience hooked me on cruising.

guests no longer allowed on bd unless a special group..like TAs!

• Like 1

On 11/14/2023 at 6:46 AM, hcat said:

Also 1993 episode of Keeping up Appearances. Too funny!

Hyacinth is looking forward to a spell of gracious living on the 'Queen Elizabeth II' while taking a holiday cruise. She soon changes her mind though when she discovers that, by some form of bad luck, Onslow and Daisy are also on board!

download.jpeg.jpg

Such a great episode!