Does NCL always write back

macksmom395

So it has been a while since I have been on Cruise Critic. I actually forgot about it until I took my post cruise survey today and it asked if I am familiar with cruise critic! Quick and random question. I sent an email to NCL today because I wanted to let them know about several things that bothered us on our cruise. Our balcony door didn't open, the shower took almost all day to drain, our shore excursions disappeared (they did correct this but it was still annoying), we were given misinformation by Guest Services on board and also by NCL before the cruise, we dealt with a really mean woman at Guest Services too, and a bunch of other things...blah, blah, blah

Anyway, I sent an email to NCL expressing that I was not thrilled about my cruise and telling them why. I was wondering if they usually respond? I did not ask for any compensation and now my SO is annoyed that I didn't. I am hoping for at least an acknowledgement by them will make my SO happy but since I didn't ask for any response I don't know if I will get one. Has anyone else had an experience like this? I am afraid if they blow me off my SO won't go on NCL again and I may have messed up. Any suggestions if I don't hear back? I feel badly because it wouldn't be NCL's fault if I don't but my SO is really mad.

The time to express your disappointment over issues like a shower not draining is while you are on the ship.

You can send emails, answer surveys etc and honestly, NCL isn't really known for doing anything after the fact.

So pick a new cruise line. Or try a different ship.

They are responsive while you are on the ship. So next time, on any cruise or at any resort always bring up your problems while they are happening.

NCL gets thousands of comments every week. Thousands. Your comment will be put in a queue and sent to an offshore customer service office who review the comment, select from a set of canned, pre-formatted responses (approved by their legal department), and send it back to you. They claim responses in 48 hours,,,, usually more like 3-4 weeks to get to the top of the queue for processing. No matter what you write, you won't get any compensation. Remember, Thousands.

All of the issues you mentioned should have been addressed, immediately, while you were on the ship. Coming back and raising the complaints on CC won't get you anywhere,,,, and you lived for a week with a door that didn't open and a drain that didn't drain. Shore Ex, as long as you had yellow tickets, it didn't really matter if it showed up anywhere.

OP, I too had contacted NCL about some issues we had on a cruise in 2016. I had tried to resolve my issues while on board but never received any response from the hotel manager or her staff. I had mentioned how this had been our 12th cruise with NCL (in 5 years) and never had an issue but due to a lack of response while on board I felt the need to write to them. I remained polite in the letter as I was always taught you can catch more flies with honey than vinegar. I don't remember the exact length of time till I got a response, but it was no more than 6 weeks. My question about any compensation for a missed port due a Norovirus outbreak was answered saying that the missed port was beyond NCLs control so no further reimbursement other the port fees (returned while still on that cruise as OBC) would be received. I was very understanding of this. My other issue regarding iproblems with making dinner reservations, prior to the cruise and while on board, that were not addressed on board even though we tried, was addressed with an apology and $100 OBC for both myself and DH to be used on a future cruise within one year from the time it was issued. I felt NCLs timely response and their offer of OBC was nice. DH and I were both happy with the way NCL handled our issues. We have had 3 cruises on NCL since and will be boarding the Sun on 9/23.

All of the issues you mentioned should have been addressed, immediately, while you were on the ship. Coming back and raising the complaints on CC won't get you anywhere,,,, and you lived for a week with a door that didn't open and a drain that didn't drain. Shore Ex, as long as you had yellow tickets, it didn't really matter if it showed up anywhere.

Of course all our issues were brought up on board! We were in the Haven and spoke to the Butler and Concierge about every single issue (except minor ones). Also spoke to Guest Services, Shore Excursions and left message for HD.

Also, no yellow tickets...that was the problem!

So it has been a while since I have been on Cruise Critic. I actually forgot about it until I took my post cruise survey today and it asked if I am familiar with cruise critic! Quick and random question. I sent an email to NCL today because I wanted to let them know about several things that bothered us on our cruise. Our balcony door didn't open, the shower took almost all day to drain, our shore excursions disappeared (they did correct this but it was still annoying), we were given misinformation by Guest Services on board and also by NCL before the cruise, we dealt with a really mean woman at Guest Services too, and a bunch of other things...blah, blah, blah

Anyway, I sent an email to NCL expressing that I was not thrilled about my cruise and telling them why. I was wondering if they usually respond? I did not ask for any compensation and now my SO is annoyed that I didn't. I am hoping for at least an acknowledgement by them will make my SO happy but since I didn't ask for any response I don't know if I will get one. Has anyone else had an experience like this? I am afraid if they blow me off my SO won't go on NCL again and I may have messed up. Any suggestions if I don't hear back? I feel badly because it wouldn't be NCL's fault if I don't but my SO is really mad.

If you approached them the way you have approached this posting most likely not. If your balcony door absolutely did not open the time to deal with that would have been that very moment. If your cabin steward did nothing about this, you should have, politely asked the reception desk to locate the hotel manager and discussed that and the drain problems with him or her. Otherwise what more you could have done I don't know. having a problem with a tour, but getting this corrected is all you can expect. The cruise line does contract with the tour company, but other than that problems are out of their hands. Not all tours meet our expectations unfortunately. I know we have had the same experience from time to time. It is disappointing.

As for, will you get a response? My guess is no, but if you do, it will be a canned, form response. I don't think there is too much else you can expect.

Good luck with your future cruises regardless of what line you choose.

Edited by newmexicoNita

If your SO is so cheesed off about how you handled a post- cruise complaint letter, why not suggest they write their own?

One or both of you may get a response but it's unlikely (except maybe to provide a heartfelt apology for that meanie at Guest Services) given the comparable insignificance of your complaints.

As mentioned, thousands of letters such as yours pour in from people who think they are owed a personal response (and often $$$) for some transgression. Weeding through them all takes time so be patient.

Best of luck sailing with your SO on another cruise line - sounds like you'll need it.

Of course all our issues were brought up on board! We were in the Haven and spoke to the Butler and Concierge about every single issue (except minor ones). Also spoke to Guest Services, Shore Excursions and left message for HD.

Were the issues adequately addressed while on board?

If your SO is so cheesed off about how you handled a post- cruise complaint letter, why not suggest they write their own?

One or both of you may get a response but it's unlikely (except maybe to provide a heartfelt apology for that meanie at Guest Services) given the comparable insignificance of your complaints.

As mentioned, thousands of letters such as yours pour in from people who think they are owed a personal response (and often $$$) for some transgression. Weeding through them all takes time so be patient.

Best of luck sailing with your SO on another cruise line - sounds like you'll need it.

Putting aside the obnoxious comment at the end , I think StolidCruiser has a point. If you don’t hear back your SO may criticize your letter but if your SO writes their own letter and then doesn’t hear back, he/she will know it wasn’t your fault. Also, maybe your SO can be more specific about what you are hoping to get from NCL.

• 3 weeks later...

Since there are so many responses to my OP telling me that NCL would ignore my letter, especially since I didn’t ask for compensation, thought I would let you know the conclusion. Got a response from NCL today. Not only did they address everything that I put in my letter to them, but they gave us a ridiculous (in a good way) credit towards a future cruise. Above and beyond anything I expected! SO and I were considering booking our next cruise on RCI and with one amazing customer service response, NCL has just procured lifetime customers.

What did they say/do when you brought up the issues? What did you say/do when day after day it wasn't resolved?

Since there are so many responses to my OP telling me that NCL would ignore my letter, especially since I didn’t ask for compensation, thought I would let you know the conclusion. Got a response from NCL today. Not only did they address everything that I put in my letter to them, but they gave us a ridiculous (in a good way) credit towards a future cruise. Above and beyond anything I expected! SO and I were considering booking our next cruise on RCI and with one amazing customer service response, NCL has just procured lifetime customers.

So, they did nothing about your complaints while you were on board the ship but they gave you a nice cruise credit weeks after getting home? Hmmm?

What did they say/do when you brought up the issues? What did you say/do when day after day it wasn't resolved?

I didn’t say they were never resolved. Most issues were resolved while we were onboard, but every day we had a new issue to deal with. Not the relaxing, pampered vacation we paid for.

So, they did nothing about your complaints while you were on board the ship but they gave you a nice cruise credit weeks after getting home? Hmmm?

I am confused. I came back to let y’all know that NCL had a stellar response to my letter and I am getting attitude about it?

of course you must write to them but from experience they don't always respond, Holland America always responds

Wow, that is good to hear! I am happy they made you happy, that is good customer service :)