Dawn itinerary change to Canada/New England

shof515

My niece is (was) checking in on The Dawn a while ago in Boston. She says a LOT of people have been turned away from boarding because they're deemed inadmissible into Canada. I never even thought of that ! What a horrible way to start a vacation !

My niece is (was) checking in on The Dawn a while ago in Boston. She says a LOT of people have been turned away from boarding because they're deemed inadmissible into Canada. I never even thought of that ! What a horrible way to start a vacation !

Wow, I wonder what happens with their cruise fare in that case?

And I wonder if I went real quick to the port if I could get a deal on a cruise to Canada?

Yikes! I never thought about that with cruising but it makes sense. I had a friend and her husband that wanted to honeymoon in Canada and didn't think anything of the restrictions. He had a DUI from 6 years earlier and he was considered inadmissible.

This IS GOLD! The unlimited open bar strikes with the alcoholics. If you are convicted of driving under the influence, you can't get into Canada! I never even thought of it until I read this.

Yikes! I never thought about that with cruising but it makes sense. I had a friend and her husband that wanted to honeymoon in Canada and didn't think anything of the restrictions. He had a DUI from 6 years earlier and he was considered inadmissible.

Exactly... the DUI must be from 10 years or more back in order to be admissible to Canada. If it's less than that you have to apply for a waiver, which is rarely granted unless it's something extremely compelling and that process takes time to go through.

This is such a horrible inconvenience. The cuise line should have though this out better and routed this cruise to the Bahamas where basically anyone is admissible. What a shame

How did they know? Do they actually do criminal background checks on all passengers going into Canada?

How did they know? Do they actually do criminal background checks on all passengers going into Canada?

When they went through the border they ran their info! They drove up from Northern California to the border (part of their trip) and were denied at the border. They had to park their car and go inside to wait and it was like maybe a 2 or 3 hour wait while the CBP decided what to do.

I wonder if that means they'll be refunded.

Wouldn't that be the frosting on the cake for people who wanted to cancel & get a refund but couldn't? This may get messy...

This is such a horrible inconvenience. The cuise line should have though this out better and routed this cruise to the Bahamas where basically anyone is admissible. What a shame

Unfortunately, the only way from Boston to the Bahamas is through a portion of the sea having hurricane conditions, either going down or coming back. Or an extra sea day to try to run east of the hurricane. For Florence, going north is definitely safer.

Couldn't they just make sure you don't get off the boat in Canada?

I can't see that holding them hostage would bode very well for NCL. The itinerary change is already creating grief. Boarding passengers knowing they're not going to be allowed off at a particular port would only cause more.

I can't see that holding them hostage would bode very well for NCL. The itinerary change is already creating grief. Boarding passengers knowing they're not going to be allowed off at a particular port would only cause more.

Not holding hostage but have them sign something that states while in Canada you will not be able to Disembark. If I wasn't admissible to Canada I would still be happy to be on the ship.

Unfortunately, the only way from Boston to the Bahamas is through a portion of the sea having hurricane conditions, either going down or coming back. Or an extra sea day to try to run east of the hurricane. For Florence, going north is definitely safer.

It's more than just the route, it's timing too. Escape is able to get to the Bahamas from NY and the route from Boston isn't necessarily much different.

It might also be port avaialbilty.

I am confident that if NCL could have routed the Dawn southerly, they would have done so.

Not holding hostage but have them sign something that states while in Canada you will not be able to Disembark. If I wasn't admissible to Canada I would still be happy to be on the ship.

This happened one year when NCL didn't screen the passengers but handed the manifest over in Halifax, NS. The cruise line had to keep several people on the ship. I believe this is why they're screening them at the pier now and sending them home if they don't meet admissibility requirements.

Unless signing a waiver about not being allowed to disembark at a port stop is covered in the terms & conditions, why would someone not happy with the change willingly sign something like that?

If I were on today's cruise & turned away at the port because I wasn't allowed in Canada, I would be expecting a full refund. I certainly wouldn't be signing something that said I agreed not to attempt to leave the ship while in Canada.

Wow do they get a refund? Its not their fault they got such short notice and did not have time to get new paperwork.

The only insurance I know that would give you anything is the one I buy... Nationwide Cruise Insurance. If you purchased the best plan, you would receive $1250 per person, under the port of call change provision.

I checked them out and will use them in the future. I put in Florida and you don't have a choice of the port of call change provision. I put in MA and you get the $1250pp if you pay for the luxury as opposed $750 if you go with the "choice". The difference in price was about $35 for two.

Wow do they get a refund? Its not their fault they got such short notice and did not have time to get new paperwork.

I doubt it, cruise lines can change itinerary at any time for any reason and not offer refunds. There is always a chance that ships have to sail north vs. south during hurricane season.

Kind of what I thought. I know legally it is simply an itinerary change. In my opinion, skipping Bermuda and going to Key West instead is an itinerary change. Skipping the Caribbean and going to Canada is an entirely different cruise.

Bermuda is NOT in the Caribbean.

It is in the Atlantic Ocean.

(due east of South Carolina)

bermuda-location-on-the-north-america-map-max.jpg

I doubt it, cruise lines can change itinerary at any time for any reason and not offer refunds. There is always a chance that ships have to sail north vs. south during hurricane season.

Yes but in this case the passengers not allowed into Canada would have been allowed into Bermuda. Does not seem fair since they may have purposely avoided Canada cruises for this purpose. So should they just never be allowed to cruise then since at anytime the cruise line can change the itinerary to Canada?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums