Eliminate the DSC

dcruiser50

I’d would love to have possibility to have part of my DSC autocharged for people behind the scenes, but to be able to give remaining gratuities directly to people who serve us.

I’d probably add more ($20-30) to the remaining amount. So total looks solid. I don’t feel comfortable giving just $20-30, but with what is already paid I don’t feel that much more should be paid.

That is the point. It is not our responsibilities, as clients, to be involved in the pay, salary or wages that staff receive. That is part of the contract between employee and employer.

Do you eat out??? Boycott server tips too?? Makes no sense to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Server and bartender gratuities are different. Not everyone uses the MDR. Those who get the UBP pay 20% on it. I don't agree with those fees either, but that's another story.

Other examples in life where we don't "tip", but maybe should...

When I call an office and make an appointment for a service, why don't I give extra money to the receptionist who squeezed me in because I couldn't make it any other time?

When I see the street cleaner cleaning up garbage around my house, why don't I give him an extra $5 bucks because he spent a little more time around my driveway because it was a little more dirty?

When I'm on an airplane and I ask the stewardess to bring me a glass of water because I'm coughing, should I leave them extra cash too? They're not even allowed to accept extra money.

The list goes on and on. As a society, we pick and choose arbitrarily what professions should or should not be entitled to tips, and then within those professions, we feel it is our duty to determine the specific people doing specific jobs who should or should not be tipped.

Collectively, workers of the world are uniting and stopping the tipping economy in their own way. Each little action we take (such as withholding "D"SC) helps. Tipping is not the way an equitable society operates. It is not a fair way that society works.

This is really easy. Those you quoted make a minimum wage. They are not dependent on our tips to bring their wage up to minimum. Cruise workers make a tiny wage and rely on tips. It is what it is. We don’t have to like it, but if we accept their service, we should pay for it accordingly, or vacation elsewhere.

Do you eat out??? Boycott server tips too?? Makes no sense to me.

I can explain. I have no problems with tips as I’ve been living 23 years in US, but in many if not most countries servers salaries are paid by restaurant owners with money collected for meals.

People of course still might offer some gratuities for above and beyond service, but it’s not expected and relied upon. Just a nice bonus.

I’d would love to have possibility to have part of my DSC autocharged for people behind the scenes, but to be able to give remaining gratuities directly to people who serve us.

I’d probably add more ($20-30) to the remaining amount. So total looks solid. I don’t feel comfortable giving just $20-30, but with what is already paid I don’t feel that much more should be paid.

Those hard working people SERVING us make a very small wage to do so. I feel blessed to be able to A) cruise and vacation as I please with my family and B) tip generously to those who serve us. We give our teen daughters $1s and $5 to pass out and say thank you for service provided. I think for those of us who can afford to cruise, it is our privilege to tip the hard working staff!

It makes no difference and it fact it makes things more complicated. The money ends up the same place. The portion that goes to cabin stewards goes to them regardless of whether it is funneled through DSC or handed to them directly. You give you steward your portion of the DSC, I give my steward my portion, Bill gives his steward his portion, Mary, Pete, Hank, Chuck, Sally, and Joanne all do the same. In the end, each steward gets the same money either way.

I find it funny in a way that many guest are so concerned with "the poor workers" that work behind the scenes. What about the poor workers in hotels, at airports, the stock people in the warehouse at Walmart? Do you want to pay them more money too? If you spend $100 dollars on Amazon should send the company a extra $20 dollars for the people pulling the order and shipping it? Are not Americans working within the United States entitled to a fair wage, or only third World cruise ship workers who already make much more on the ships than in their home countries?

The simple fact here is it is not the job of a guest to pay behind the scenes people on cruise ships, it is the responsibility of the cruise lines. The cruise line is a business and they are free to hire and pay crew as little as they want, within the law. But then don't try to play on the goodwill of guest to get them to pay money to the crew... Pay your own staff from the billions you make each year.

Those hard working people SERVING us make a very small wage to do so. I feel blessed to be able to A) cruise and vacation as I please with my family and B) tip generously to those who serve us. We give our teen daughters $1s and $5 to pass out and say thank you for service provided. I think for those of us who can afford to cruise, it is our privilege to tip the hard working staff!

You don’t have to tell me. ;)

We cruise 5 times a year and never remove gratis, but as I said I prefer that if company needs to pay behind a scene people this portion would be included into fare.

But the remaining portion plus a bit more I’d like to tip personally.

It makes no difference and it fact it makes things more complicated. The money ends up the same place. The portion that goes to cabin stewards goes to them regardless of whether it is funneled through DSC or handed to them directly. You give you steward your portion of the DSC, I give my steward my portion, Bill gives his steward his portion, Mary, Pete, Hank, Chuck, Sally, and Joanne all do the same. In the end, each steward gets the same money either way.

It makes difference for me, as I’m the one who supposedly tips. I’d prefer this.

It makes difference for me, as I’m the one who supposedly tips. I’d prefer this.

That makes no sense. You can't have it "make no difference" for you and at the same time "love to have possibility to have part of my DSC autocharged for people behind the scenes, but to be able to give remaining gratuities directly to people who serve us". Those two concepts are are mutually exclusive. :)

That makes no sense. You can't have it "make no difference" for you and at the same time "love to have possibility to have part of my DSC autocharged for people behind the scenes, but to be able to give remaining gratuities directly to people who serve us". Those two concepts are are mutually exclusive. :)
That's why they said that it does make a difference to them.....

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Forums mobile app

I know I am repeating myself from another thread...However if I go to another country I am expected to respect the traditions and customs of that country, which I do. When people come to the US the same belief does not seem to be in place. Unless changed this is a country that embraces tipping and the custom should be respected the same way we do in your country(I am not singling out any one country). NCL is an US company and works off US customs. If you don't like or believe in tipping just find a cruise line that meets your needs. Why mess with the employees money because you don't like the practice.

I agree with you that people shall respect traditions and customs in the country they visit but...

Is NCL really an American company where American traditions and customs apply? The ships aren't flagged in the US, except for POA. The crew mainly isn't American, except for POA. Is the biggest owner still Genting Group group from Malaysia?

I don't really know but can we just assume that American traditions and customs shall apply?

Server and bartender gratuities are different. Not everyone uses the MDR. Those who get the UBP pay 20% on it. I don't agree with those fees either, but that's another story.

Other examples in life where we don't "tip", but maybe should...

When I call an office and make an appointment for a service, why don't I give extra money to the receptionist who squeezed me in because I couldn't make it any other time?

When I see the street cleaner cleaning up garbage around my house, why don't I give him an extra $5 bucks because he spent a little more time around my driveway because it was a little more dirty?

When I'm on an airplane and I ask the stewardess to bring me a glass of water because I'm coughing, should I leave them extra cash too? They're not even allowed to accept extra money.

The list goes on and on. As a society, we pick and choose arbitrarily what professions should or should not be entitled to tips, and then within those professions, we feel it is our duty to determine the specific people doing specific jobs who should or should not be tipped.

Collectively, workers of the world are uniting and stopping the tipping economy in their own way. Each little action we take (such as withholding "D"SC) helps. Tipping is not the way an equitable society operates. It is not a fair way that society works.

So on your next few cruises coming up just tell the waitstaff, room steward, and the others you are stiffing the following:

"Listen I removed my DSC's but one day you'll see that I started a movement to get you fair wages but until that time comes I am sorry you are going to have to suffer with a little less money in your pay".

I don't see anybody having a problem with that.:rolleyes:

Bill

So on your next few cruises coming up just tell the waitstaff, room steward, and the others you are stiffing the following:

"Listen I removed my DSC's but one day you'll see that I started a movement to get you fair wages but until that time comes I am sorry you are going to have to suffer with a little less money in your pay".

I don't see anybody having a problem with that.:rolleyes:

Bill

Sorry but the the responsibility of the guest to improve the lives of all these behind the scene people. Sure I can afford to do so but that is not the point, just because you can do something doesn't mean you should do it.

The crew is the responsibility of the cruise lines, if they are underpaid, don't do the job. Stay in their own countries and work.... But in fact even at basic pay levels they make more on cruise ships than they can do at home.

It makes a Lot of sense. I cannot give it personally to people behind the scene, so cruise line can include this portion into my fare.

But the rest and some more I can give in person.

When we started cruising nothing was charged as DSC automatically. All gratuities were given directly to people who served us. I guess it made sense, right?

I understand that back then behind the scene people were making too little. This is why I proposed this portion to be collected automatically, but the rest can still be done in person.

This is how it works in land based restaurants. We aren't paying service charge to cleaning ladies or people who wash dishes etc. It is paid from our meal charges, but we do pay gratuities in person to our waiters.

This is how it works in land based restaurants. We aren't paying service charge to cleaning ladies or people who wash dishes etc. It is paid from our meal charges, but we do pay gratuities in person to our waiters.

In a lot of places the servers have to tip out the back of house. So not that dissimilar to the DSC.

In a lot of places the servers have to tip out the back of house. So not that dissimilar to the DSC.

It could be, but if DSC for behind the scene workers is collected together with fare maybe they won't have, or maybe they will.

What I am saying is if gratuities are not a part of the fare, but still collected and raising I'd really want to participate in its distribution personally at least for people who serve me directly. For that (plus some more) amount. What they do after receiving it is not my business

LOL at all those who are whining and crying to get the DSC included in the fare knowing the cost will be the same or even more. Some make no sense.
Why do you call people's opinions whining and crying? Is this not a board to voice them?

By the way, cost might be not even higher because there won't be people removing them.

Why do you call people's opinions whining and crying? Is this not a board to voice them?

By the way, cost might be not even higher because there won't be people removing them.

Assuming that NCL uses the DSC as they say they do (which is most likely a valid assumption), then people removing the DSC would have zero impact on cruise cost.

Of course it will. DSC goes up from time to time. Factor it into your mandatory cruise fare means the ticket cruise price goes up and you have to pay more.

.....because they are making an issue over a non-issue. These compensation programs are the industry standard no matter if the lines marketing department calls it a tip, gratuity or service charge.

Plus some here said because XYZ cruise line includes DSC in its cruise fare or treats its employees differently, so should NCL blah blah blah. Why? NCL is NCL, not XYZ. It doesn't matter how others do with their cruise pricing or labor practice. NCL is entitled to run its business the way it wants and reframe from disclosing privileged info to anyone not required by law. You don't have to like it.

Of course it will. DSC goes up from time to time. Factor it into your mandatory cruise fare means the ticket cruise price goes up and you have to pay more.
We are paying DSC anyway and it's rising anyway, but if it's included and nobody removes just to save then maybe companies won't have to rise it.