Eliminate the DSC

dcruiser50

It is amusing to read posts from those who remove the DSC then pontificate about how they are making a stand for "fair treatment" for workers.
The workers' pay should remain the same, regardless of whether clients decide to contribute to the DSC or not. That would be the right and fair thing to do.

And according to all the young British people I have hired over the years, Tipping is no longer a part of British culture. They have all thought it an insane institution. Perhaps it does still exist in the UK, perhaps it is a class thing. I do not know.
It is funny that some of those from the UK that don't pay the DSC say they don't tip at home, while others advise us how much to tip in the UK. I think I'll go with those that say there is no tipping and if there is a service charge attached to the bill, I'll say I don't pay service charges either.

I like the DSC concept. Then I don't feel like I'm leaving anyone out....even if I think someone is just not up to par (maybe a bad day, a stomach ache, issues at home). We always give the cabin steward a couple of extra dollars at the end of the trip.

IMHO...and it's just my personal imho....the complainers are the ones who want to get out of tipping.

Agree with all..

I am a loyal platinum latitudes member and enjoy following CC but I would love to see NCL eliminate the DSC and just add it to the cruise fare, makes sense, less confusion for all. Just a note that the bar servers are not part of the DSC they participate through the 20% gratuity and are paid on commission (verified by ship officers)

good idea but don't see it happening. Even though it would be the same, it would save all the problems with people trying to think of a way not to pay the DSC and it would simplify the process.

not realizing how many behind the scenes benefit from DSC.
Other than NCL's communications to passengers about "how many behind the scenes benefit", do you have any way to prove or account for how the DSC specifically affects what they receive? If anything?

How do you know it doesn't just go into NCL's coffers?

Other than NCL's communications to passengers about "how many behind the scenes benefit", do you have any way to prove or account for how the DSC specifically affects what they receive? If anything?

Do you have any proof that the DSC doesn't affect what the behind the scenes crew receives?

Do you have any proof that it just goes into NCL's coffers?

Because they don't want to risk the huge fines the SEC would hand out for declaring income as an expense.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Forums mobile app

Nope, but without accountability on how the DSC is being applied, I am not forking over 5% on top of my cruise fare to a billion dollar corporation.

If they showed a report at the end of each cruise in that pile of documents that are received on the last day - even a cursory statement - I would be happy. Saying something like:

"Thank you for cruising with us. The hard-working crew would like to thank you for your gratuities. A total of 3700 passengers contributed $52,300 of discretionary service fees this sailing and this will go directly to staff, who will receive approximately XX. Your tips are appreciated and we hope you enjoyed your cruise."

I don't support a tipping economy, it should be abolished, but if we are going to have it, make it transparent and accountable. It is not unreasonable for us to be able to know how a "discretionary" fee is being allocated. Otherwise, don't make it discretionary.

Nope, but without accountability on how the DSC is being applied, I am not forking over 5% on top of my cruise fare to a billion dollar corporation.

If they showed a report at the end of each cruise in that pile of documents that are received on the last day - even a cursory statement - I would be happy. Saying something like:

"Thank you for cruising with us. The hard-working crew would like to thank you for your gratuities. A total of 3700 passengers contributed $52,300 of discretionary service fees this sailing and this will go directly to staff, who will receive approximately XX. Your tips are appreciated and we hope you enjoyed your cruise."

I don't support a tipping economy, it should be abolished, but if we are going to have it, make it transparent and accountable. It is not unreasonable for us to be able to know how a "discretionary" fee is being allocated. Otherwise, don't make it discretionary.

Their cruise ships....their rules. If you don't like them you're free to go elsewhere.

The US is a "tipping nation". I factor this into everything I do that "people get tipped". If the bottom line is too much, I look for a less expensive place. I don't make up for it by being a cheapskate.

So you ask for an accounting from every restaurant you tip at. Just because you give the tip to your waiter it does not mean they keep the entire amount, some places require all tips to be shared.

Do you ask the maids if they keep their entire tip....Oh wait you probably don't tip them either. Just because you don't like the practice it doesn't mean it is wrong.

Since they're a publicly traded company that information is actually available.

What do you think the SEC is, and what do you think they have to do with "income/expense"?

I know you're trying to be snarky because you think the SEC only deals with like insider trading and merges.

However, you do actually have to submit financial statements/records to them.

If you're using say ~300K a day of funds you've declared as expenses as income instead they will not be happy. ( Yes, I'm sure the IRS would get involved as well )

What is considered Fair should be determined by free market force and negotiation between two arms length parties free of intervention from the government and do-gooder. Let the market and employer/employee themselves decide what is or isn't fair. Others need not be concerned.

Agree,

also, having lived in Germany were tipping is not significant and service is included in the prices of what your order, I prefer the US custom of tipping. It incentives the server to provide great service for a nice tip. I generally tip 20% when the service is excellent. In the USA the service is usually excellent.

It is funny that some of those from the UK that don't pay the DSC say they don't tip at home, while others advise us how much to tip in the UK. I think I'll go with those that say there is no tipping and if there is a service charge attached to the bill, I'll say I don't pay service charges either.

I used to pay the DSC, nowadays I pay my fare and NCL use part of that towards whatever the DSC goes towards.

Tipping is very rare in the UK. Some restaurants will try to add a service charge, especially if they are in London and your party has 6 or more people in it. You can ask for this charge to be removed. What is more likely to happen is that if the bill comes to say £73.50 that will be rounded up to £75 or £80 dependant on numbers. This will be given as change to the server rather than paid as part of the bill. There is no tipping at pubs or bars for drinks. The rule above applies for food in pubs and bars, taxis and cabs. Bellboys etc. can be slipped a quid or two but if they stand there with their hand out they should be reported to the management.

In conclusion most people do not tip and any tipping is completely discretionary and certainly only in very small amounts. The main reason for tipping in the UK is for very good or exceptional service. Tips are considered a bonus by the workers and not used to subsidise wages.

Tipping is very rare in the UK. Some restaurants will try to add a service charge, especially if they are in London and your party has 6 or more people in it. You can ask for this charge to be removed. What is more likely to happen is that if the bill comes to say £73.50 that will be rounded up to £75 or £80 dependant on numbers. This will be given as change to the server rather than paid as part of the bill. There is no tipping at pubs or bars for drinks. The rule above applies for food in pubs and bars, taxis and cabs. Bellboys etc. can be slipped a quid or two but if they stand there with their hand out they should be reported to the management.

So, you are saying there is tipping in the UK?

I know I am repeating myself from another thread...However if I go to another country I am expected to respect the traditions and customs of that country, which I do. When people come to the US the same belief does not seem to be in place. Unless changed this is a country that embraces tipping and the custom should be respected the same way we do in your country(I am not singling out any one country). NCL is an US company and works off US customs. If you don't like or believe in tipping just find a cruise line that meets your needs. Why mess with the employees money because you don't like the practice.

Edited by phillyguy31
Grammar

I know I am repeating myself from another thread...However if I go to another country I am expected to respect the traditions and customs of that country, which I do. When people come to the US the same belief does not seem to be in place. Unless changed this is a country that embraces tipping and the custom should be respected the same way we do in your country(I am not singling out any one country). NCL is an US company and works off US customs. If you don't like or believe in tipping just find a cruise line that meets your needs. Why mess with the employees money because you don't like the practice.
What's funny is that this was also true 200 years ago when Europeans brought tipping to North America and the US thought it was super tacky.

Very well said. I do a lot of research prior to trips outside the United States to make sure I follow their customs, but I hear from many from other countries, "well, we don't do that back home, so I won't do it here". If we were to say that about their customs, they would say we are ugly Americans, but if they do it it here is a-okay with them! Call me confused and I wonder why some of us try so hard to do research about other countries customs, so we do the right thing.

Very well said. I do a lot of research prior to trips outside the United States to make sure I follow their customs, but I hear from many from other countries, "well, we don't do that back home, so I won't do it here". If we were to say that, they would say we are ugly Americans, but if they do it it here is a-okay with them! Call me confused and I wonder why some of us try so hard to do research about other countries customs, so we do the right thing.
To be fair there's plenty of Americans who don't care. Who assume that everywhere they can pay in USD and everyone should speak English.

People from every country are bad tourists and good tourists.

Also, some things are easier to adapt to when travelling than others depending on how deeply ingrained something is in the culture you're from.

So, you are saying there is tipping in the UK?

There is tipping in the U.K., but it really isn’t a big thing.

It is kore common in the more touristy areas, which is why I think that you do occasionally see reports from American tourists who say that they felt they were expected to tip a lot. I fairly often tip in London, for example, but in the town where I live it is extremely rare. For example, at my local restaurant the payment terminals used to ask if you wanted to leave a tip, but the server would always press no before handing it over. In almost everywhere else around here adding a tip to the card payment isn’t an option. If I do leave a tip it has to be in cash.

I usually tip a taxi driver, and tip at restaurants less than 25% of the time, and that is principally when I am in London or other areas with more tourists. If I felt that it was expected then I would do so.

I have always suspected that if I had an American accent then I would probably find myself guided towards tipping in the tourist areas. That is basically based on my experiences and what I sometimes hear reported by American tourists.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know you're trying to be snarky because you think the SEC only deals with like insider trading and merges.

However, you do actually have to submit financial statements/records to them.

If you're using say ~300K a day of funds you've declared as expenses as income instead they will not be happy. ( Yes, I'm sure the IRS would get involved as well )

You caught me. I'm trying to be snarky for sure. I was (before retiring) a securities broker and I owned a tax prep business. I had to pass tests etc.