Eliminate the DSC

dcruiser50

"tipping is optional" is much different than "no tipping".

That depends on whether we're taking "no tipping required" or if it is "no tipping allowed".

Words have meanings.

Now try to make people understand that a service charge is one thing and a gratuity is another. :rolleyes:

On a recent NCL cruise I did the behind the scenes tour that is a latitudes benefit. As we were touring through the galley I saw posted on a bulletin board a photo of two guests and essentially what was a warning that these people were notorious for complaining etc. So for those that like to get their DSC refunded or are a general pain in the butt, know that NCL is watching and the crew is aware of you. And also know that you may be getting some 'special' treatment from the crew if they know you are going to dispute the DSC.

On a recent NCL cruise I did the behind the scenes tour that is a latitudes benefit. As we were touring through the galley I saw posted on a bulletin board a photo of two guests and essentially what was a warning that these people were notorious for complaining etc. So for those that like to get their DSC refunded or are a general pain in the butt, know that NCL is watching and the crew is aware of you. And also know that you may be getting some 'special' treatment from the crew if they know you are going to dispute the DSC.

Uh oh... while I don’t belong to either category I cannot believe NCL would share information like this.

What an absurd comment. My Step-Son worked as a waiter during college at 20 hrs a week (an upscale restaurant) making four times the minimum wage via tips.

Tips have not cultural connection with race.

In my experience most tipped employees are quite happy with what they make via tips, their chief complaint is that it's not full time work.

Please provide these special treatments which would result in a nice seven figure settlement from the cruise line. No crew member would try such actions as the PR results if found out would cost the cruise line millions. The simple fact is DSC are optional for account and tax reasons, and therefore can be adjusted or removed.

Royal Caribbean as they still charge the service charge AND give you envelopes for the "little extra."
Ugh. I can't say I'm surprised the envelopes have showed up in addition to a service charge. I wonder what the over/under is on when they show up on NCL?

I have no qualms about removing and opting-out of my DSC as a point of principle on each NCL cruise now. NCL should raise rates and include the DSC as part of the cruise fare and pay it out to the workers equally, and at the same rate.

The workers deserve nothing less than fair treatment and stable pay. It is only once cruisers decide to boycott the DSC that NCL will make the right move and include it into the total base cruise fare and eliminate the administration and implementation of the whole "DSC" system.

Fair treatment. Period. Now.

The simple fact is DSC are optional for account and tax reasons, and therefore can be adjusted or removed.

Not optional on Costa, where it is MANDATORY to pay DSC at the end of the cruise.

On Pullmantur, it has to be prepaid while booking.

I have no qualms about removing and opting-out of my DSC as a point of principle on each NCL cruise now. NCL should raise rates and include the DSC as part of the cruise fare and pay it out to the workers equally, and at the same rate.

The workers deserve nothing less than fair treatment and stable pay. It is only once cruisers decide to boycott the DSC that NCL will make the right move and include it into the total base cruise fare and eliminate the administration and implementation of the whole "DSC" system.

So how much should NCL pay each and every worker?

And how are you going to know what each is being paid next time you cruise with NCL?

That is the point. It is not our responsibilities, as clients, to be involved in the pay, salary or wages that staff receive. That is part of the contract between employee and employer.

OK, your previous post seemed to indicate that you, as a client, wanted to be involed.

Thanks for the clarification.

I’ll clarify, as you misunderstand:

I care that all workers, in all industries and treated and paid fairly. I don’t want to be involved in making that happen - that is a contract between employees and their employers. It’s not my responsibility.

I want to be able to pay one single cruise fare, up front, with the knowledge that employees will be paid the same and paid fairly, regardless of whether there was such a thing as “DSC”. Employees and clients shouldn’t have to be burdened with something like DSC. Employees should simply get paid, and clients shouldn’t even have to think such a thing as DSC.

I’ll clarify, as you misunderstand:

I care that all workers, in all industries and treated and paid fairly. I don’t want to be involved in making that happen - that is a contract between employees and their employers. It’s not my responsibility.

I want to be able to pay one single cruise fare, up front, with the knowledge that employees will be paid the same and paid fairly, regardless of whether there was such a thing as “DSC”. Employees and clients shouldn’t have to be burdened with something like DSC. Employees should simply get paid, and clients shouldn’t even have to think such a thing as DSC.

Please clarify....you do plan to tip each and every worker, right? Even those you don't see. Otherwise their income will go down and that's not fair.

AS to the note regarding what certain passengers like to complain about, I don't blame NCL one bit. Don't be a chronic complainer, and you won't be mentioned.

I really don't see the issue with the DSC....it is either that or tips...I do both. Not all employees are equal. Those that go above and beyond for me get more from me in the way of CASH.

I have no way of tipping someone "behind the scenes"..therefore I see the need for the DSC....

IF you want the old envelope routine only, that ship has sailed.

What is considered Fair should be determined by free market force and negotiation between two arms length parties free of intervention from the government and do-gooder. Let the market and employer/employee themselves decide what is or isn't fair. Others need not be concerned.

AS to the note regarding what certain passengers like to complain about, I don't blame NCL one bit. Don't be a chronic complainer, and you won't be mentioned.

I really don't see the issue with the DSC....it is either that or tips...I do both. Not all employees are equal. Those that go above and beyond for me get more from me in the way of CASH.

I have no way of tipping someone "behind the scenes"..therefore I see the need for the DSC....

IF you want the old envelope routine only, that ship has sailed.

I like the DSC concept. Then I don't feel like I'm leaving anyone out....even if I think someone is just not up to par (maybe a bad day, a stomach ache, issues at home). We always give the cabin steward a couple of extra dollars at the end of the trip.

IMHO...and it's just my personal imho....the complainers are the ones who want to get out of tipping.

I think NCL would love that. It would force us to pay it sooner. More importantly it would be non-refundable. If you have to cancel after final payment you still have to pay the DSC. If you are buying insurance that cost will go up. I don't see any advantage to the customer.

Interesting that the cost for insurence will go up. I have never been asked how much I paid for the trip when I have bought travel insurence. I'm only asked when I travel and where. (The main reason for that may be that the cost for the trip is small compared to how much the insurence company may have to pay if I have some kind of medical emergency in the US.)

Please clarify....you do plan to tip each and every worker, right? Even those you don't see. Otherwise their income will go down and that's not fair.
sorry but I don’t understand the premise of your question. Why would I plan to give any money directly to employees working for a company I’ve already paid $1000s of dollars in fares to, for the services they’re already being paid for and that I’ve already paid for?

Why would you give money to a server at dinner since you already paid for your food?
Server and bartender gratuities are different. Not everyone uses the MDR. Those who get the UBP pay 20% on it. I don't agree with those fees either, but that's another story.

Other examples in life where we don't "tip", but maybe should...

When I call an office and make an appointment for a service, why don't I give extra money to the receptionist who squeezed me in because I couldn't make it any other time?

When I see the street cleaner cleaning up garbage around my house, why don't I give him an extra $5 bucks because he spent a little more time around my driveway because it was a little more dirty?

When I'm on an airplane and I ask the stewardess to bring me a glass of water because I'm coughing, should I leave them extra cash too? They're not even allowed to accept extra money.

The list goes on and on. As a society, we pick and choose arbitrarily what professions should or should not be entitled to tips, and then within those professions, we feel it is our duty to determine the specific people doing specific jobs who should or should not be tipped.

Collectively, workers of the world are uniting and stopping the tipping economy in their own way. Each little action we take (such as withholding "D"SC) helps. Tipping is not the way an equitable society operates. It is not a fair way that society works.

And according to all the young British people I have hired over the years, Tipping is no longer a part of British culture. They have all thought it an insane institution. Perhaps it does still exist in the UK, perhaps it is a class thing. I do not know.
Thank you. This is one of those things we will look back at in 50-100 years and go, "what were we thinking"...