Eliminate the DSC

dcruiser50

I am a loyal platinum latitudes member and enjoy following CC but I would love to see NCL eliminate the DSC and just add it to the cruise fare, makes sense, less confusion for all. Just a note that the bar servers are not part of the DSC they participate through the 20% gratuity and are paid on commission (verified by ship officers)

I am a loyal platinum latitudes member and enjoy following CC but I would love to see NCL eliminate the DSC and just add it to the cruise fare, makes sense, less confusion for all. Just a note that the bar servers are not part of the DSC they participate through the 20% gratuity and are paid on commission (verified by ship officers)

More of what are allowable and unallowable business expenses. Keeps the books clean and minimizes tax audits.

I would love to see NCL eliminate the DSC and just add it to the cruise fare

this is already possible. when you book your cruise, there is an option to pre-paid the DSC. If you add it during the booking process, it gets added to the total amount due.

I fully understand that my comment was to eliminate all reference to the DSC and just add the cost to the fare
Cruise lines,well for that matter, companies in general, want to advertise the lowest price possible.

Until all cruise lines decide to come together and do it,doubt you will see any single cruise line take that step.

Cruise lines,well for that matter, companies in general, want to advertise the lowest price possible.

Until all cruise lines decide to come together and do it,doubt you will see any single cruise line take that step.

It reminds me the car market in Quebec (Canada). A few years ago a new law was enforced stating that advertised price must be all inclusive (except sales taxes). So they must include destinations charges or anything else in the advertise price. It is now easier to compare prices !

It would be nice if the cruise industry would do the same.:D

I think NCL would love that. It would force us to pay it sooner. More importantly it would be non-refundable. If you have to cancel after final payment you still have to pay the DSC. If you are buying insurance that cost will go up. I don't see any advantage to the customer.

It reminds me the car market in Quebec (Canada). A few years ago a new law was enforced stating that advertised price must be all inclusive (except sales taxes). So they must include destinations charges or anything else in the advertise price. It is now easier to compare prices !

It would be nice if the cruise industry would do the same.:D

So the government passed a law to include all the charges in the advertised price except one of the biggest ..... the sales tax.:confused:

So the government passed a law to include all the charges in the advertised price except one of the biggest ..... the sales tax.:confused:
The size of the charge isn't important. Sales tax is the same percentage everywhere in the province.

So when you're comparing prices between dealers it's not relevant.

Though I agree that in general in North America sales tax should be included in the advertised price everywhere

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Forums mobile app

I think NCL would love that. It would force us to pay it sooner. More importantly it would be non-refundable. If you have to cancel after final payment you still have to pay the DSC. If you are buying insurance that cost will go up. I don't see any advantage to the customer.

I'd go for rolling the DSC into the basic cruise fare only if they charged the combined cruise fare like they charge the DSC.

Not a very good idea. Let me give you just one reason why.

The way things are structured today, if something happens and I have to cancel my cruise, NCL does not charge me for the DSC. If I have already pre-paid my DSC, they will refund it 100%.

Now...If the DSC was "just added to the cruise fare" and I have to cancel, I would LOSE that money...since losing the fare is the cancellation penalty. I would NOT get that money back. This would just be more money in NCL's pocket. This is not a good scenario for the guest.

--Not to mention that this would result in higher fares, and since travel insurance is based on the fare, I'm also going to see an increase in the insurance policy since it will now have to cover an additional amount that did not have to be covered before.

No thanks.

Another cruise line started including the DSC in the fare if the cruise was booked through the Australian site or your permanent address was in Australia about a year ago.

By making the DSC part of the fare the passenger isn't able to cancel or reduce the amount.

Sure, as long as they publicly state they are a "no tipping" line, much like HAL used to do. Otherwise, we'll just be right back to the old days of handing out envelopes at the end of the cruise. No thanks.

While I agree it might be confusing for some, I think for the majority it's not all that confusing.

I think NCL and Princess and even P&O are getting a little more savvy and they are including the DSC/automatic gratuities in the fare in countries where there is a propensity to remove those charges, since many from those countries say that it is not in their culture to tip.

Let me be clear that the DSC does not confuse me nor do I resent it, in fact on all my cruises (16+) I always include extra cash tips over and above to reward exceptional service that I have always received. I just wish that these hard working staff will get all they deserve

No thanks. I prefer to keep control over the the compensation servers directly get from me so I have recourse for poor service. Those who 'get paid the same either way' tend to forget expectations over time.

What control do you have over the DSC?

Edited by IrieBajan54
bold for quote

<p>I understand that you can fill out a form and request an adjustment. Since the impression of poor service or service in general is subjective to the individual involved and with the frivolous complains I have seen on this site is the reason I made my wish in the first place</p>