Favorite items to buy on ship or at ports?

ma23peas

In terms of discounts, what items are really good bargains compared to back in the States ?

I thought the costume jewelry, accessories (like wraps and scarves), and blingy evening purses were a steal at $5ea, 6/$25, when they were the deal of the day. I was able to get several items that matched not only what I had with me on board, but the colors I commonly wear at home. (My SIL and I split the $25 deal.)

The quality is not high, but I only need a sparkly purse a couple times a year, so it should last a while!

If your name is Ted, maybe this is of interest for gifts? HAL also had unisex warm hats and gloves (it was an Alaska cruise).

Also, totally surprising me, the sunglasses were a few dollars less than in the Seattle CVS where I told my step-mom to get a pair because they would be more on the ship -- they weren't!

Real vanilla is seldom produced in Mexico and the islands. It is almost always imitation despite the label. It also often contains chemicals not allowed in the US. Real vanilla is close to the same price worldwide,very expensive.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I always buy a ship Christmas tree ornament, post card, and a ship magnet if it is the first time on the ship. I also buy magnets and post cards in port.

I thought I was the only one who still bought postcards from places I visit. And magnets! My traveling friends think I 'm crazy for this, but I also get newspapers or a weekly arts type of edition. Lets me know what was going on while in town, or what I should have stayed in town longer for??

We buy many less than we used to, but I usually buy a cheap bracelet or necklace from street/beach vendors, sometimes a magnet or interesting small piece of pottery or a mask.

If it is an entirely new and exotic port we may find something more iconic to the port. But, with totes at home filled, as well as lots on the wall, we buy less and less.

I collect bookmarks made in almost any material including pewter, leather, macrame,lace, hand embroid ery etc They are available in so many tourist shops and many museum gift shops sell them.

I only buy one that is indicative of where we were traveling. I don't care that much where it is made but Do care it says or shows something of the place where I BOUGHT IT.

They pack light and are easy to get home. :)

I like three things about your idea... the fact it's small easy to pack and reminds you of where you were..

good for you! :)

I like to buy spices from the different countries we visit. Then I'm reminded of our travels when I cook with them.

I'll tell DH, the chicken has Jamaican jerk on it, and the veggies have Hawaiian salt on them. If I forget to tell him, he'll ask, where are we eating?

It's a relatively inexpensive souvenir, and they last a long time!

Love this idea!! Thank you for sharing ..

I collect bookmarks made in almost any material including pewter, leather, macrame,lace, hand embroid ery etc They are available in so many tourist shops and many museum gift shops sell them.

I only buy one that is indicative of where we were traveling. I don't care that much where it is made but Do care it says or shows something of the place where I BOUGHT IT.

They pack light and are easy to get home. :)

Very nice way to remember. I will start doing this, because I intend to buy a journal for each new cruise I go on. Bookmarks will be a great companion.

Thank for sharing...

In Jamaica, I buy Blue Mtn coffee, knowing it's not 100%, just like Kona is blended for tourists in Hawaii. I buy coffee in any Central American country as well. Honduran sells for $9/lb at Tabayana.

Otherwise it's just magnets from over the 100 or more ports we've visited. We like the magnet to reflect an activity we did or show the area we visited to help as memory aids, rather than just a generic version.

We used to display them on our kitchen refrigerator, but the new frig doesn't have ferromagnetic properties. The magnets are now sticking to the doors of our steel garage.organizers.

Unless there is an iconic item (like the gorgeous nesting dolls I got in Russia), I just buy interesting edibles. I already have enough stuff to dust. Oh, and the husband has to have a refrigerator magnet from each place. Our refrigerator is completely covered. Every once in a while, I will buy something big (like the amazing inlaid wood coffee table I got in Sorrento and had shipped home) but mostly, just food and drink items.

Very nice way to remember. I will start doing this, because I intend to buy a journal for each new cruise I go on. Bookmarks will be a great companion.

Thank for sharing...

Glad you like the idea and hope you get he pleasure from them that I enjoy.

Very nice way to remember. I will start doing this, because I intend to buy a journal for each new cruise I go on. Bookmarks will be a great companion. Thank for sharing...
Glad you like the idea and hope you gett he pleasure from them that I enjoy.

With the skyrocketing price for pure vanilla, I try to purchase a bottle whenever we visit the Caribbean. However, it will be pricier there as well now. Perhaps the new year's crop fared better and prices will come down. Yesterday I saw a 6 ounce bottle in a grocery store in town with a price of $33. Still will not use artificial stuff.

Be careful of some of that vanilla as some of it contains coumarin which is an anti-coagulant. At least be aware if what you are buying a nd look to see if your bottle coumarin.

Try he vanilla from Williams Sanoma.

Magnets and postcards take little room to pack. We used to try and find a book of photos, but they are too expensive and heavy now. We like to pick up a coffee mug if the ship is new to us.

mugs are always good 'memory triggers :)

Edited by sail7seas

With the skyrocketing price for pure vanilla, I try to purchase a bottle whenever we visit the Caribbean. However, it will be pricier there as well now. Perhaps the new year's crop fared better and prices will come down. Yesterday I saw a 6 ounce bottle in a grocery store in town with a price of $33. Still will not use artificial stuff. Be careful of some of that vanilla as some cotain coumarin which is an anti-coagulant. At leastt be aware of what you are buying contains it. Try the vanilla from Williams Sanoma. Magnets and postcards take little room to pack. We used to try and find a book of photos, but they are too expensive and heavy now. We like to pick up a coffee mug if the ship is new to us.
mugs are always good 'memory triggers :)

It was port security where the problem was and no the candles were not returned like airport security - you don't get confiscated items back at the end of the flight! May be a deterrent policy!
How strange! How would port security even know you had the candles? I can see ship's security taking the candles so you wouldn't be tempted to burn them in your cabin, but why would port security take something that wasn't illegal?

Think it was one of the. Us ports when security was very tight it was the baggage search that identified the contraband candle rather than a scanning device! Airports don't return confiscated items after you get home so why should cruise lines store/ return them it enhances the deterrent if people know they will ultimately mot get them back!!