Why cruise in September?

CruisingNole

I'm not trying to be facetious, but I am genuinely curious as to why someone would choose to cruise in areas susceptible to storms during September? It's peak hurricane season, odds are that your cruise/flight plans will change, causing you headache and financial burden...so why do it? Every year there's people crying and complaining about not being "compensated" enough for the inconvenience. However, folks know what they are getting into so how on earth can they be frustrated with the cruise-line and expect a freebie for their "troubles?"

We never do ,for the reasons you stated .We cruise in December ,January and February and occasionally in June.

Georgia has Fall Break in late Sept/early Oct (started school Aug 1st :o)We have cruised the last week of Sept for the past 4 years with no problems with weather. We know that the weather is a risk but it's one we are willing to take. Worse case scenario, our trip is cancelled or the ports are rerouted. Things can happen any time.

I wonder why Royal has decided to schedule the annual President Cruise at the height of the season?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Good question. The one year we were on it, it was in Nov on Explorer. We booked before it was announced so we got a good price. Our roll call couldn't believe how much the cabins soared in price. It was really ridiculous. We said we'd never do another President's cruise again. We were in a GS and were D, but we might as well have been in an interior. All the staff spent a lot of time taking care of the P's and VIP's onboard and it was very different than all our other cruises in a GS on Ex. We did get several "gifts" including two shoe bags that we use for our swim shoes and tote bags that we still carry to the pool and beach. Anyway, I can't remember what other months they've been done in.

Good question. The one year we were on it, it was in Nov on Explorer. We booked before it was announced so we got a good price. Our roll call couldn't believe how much the cabins soared in price. It was really ridiculous. We said we'd never do another President's cruise again. We were in a GS and were D, but we might as well have been in an interior. All the staff spent a lot of time taking care of the P's and VIP's onboard and it was very different than all our other cruises in a GS on Ex. We did get several "gifts" including two shoe bags that we use for our swim shoes and tote bags that we still carry to the pool and beach. Anyway, I can't remember what other months they've been done in.

I was under the impression they've only done it on Allure and Freedom so far.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I think that she is thinking of a members' cruise.

It's been 6 or 7 years since we were on that cruise so I probably did confuse the two. Either way, they know it'll be a big draw for some people which helps fill the ship.

The reality is, any one cruise being impacted by a hurricane is overall small compared to the number of cruises in a year. It just becomes this huge drama when it does happen. Some people act like the cruise lines caused the storms. If I book a condo at the beach for a week and there is a hurricane coming, unless I've purchased insurance that covers a storm, I lose all my money if I cancel. Most places you have to cancel at least two weeks out to get any refund and even then, it's a partial one. I'm not sure why some people who cruise expect it to be different. And for the question why do people cruise in Sept, you can ask why people go to Florida or anywhere along the coastline in Sept.

We have several first-hand personal experiences with hurricane dodging while on a cruise: RCCL and Celebrity. They take it VERY seriously.

So, knowing they watch the weather and plan accordingly, and being flexible about our itinerary, we also like the lower prices and fewer children on board. The weather is a smidge cooler (however I avoid Western Caribbean cruises in September; been there, done that, and melted in Cozumel!)

We cruise at the beginning of October every cruise since 2008 because our anniversary is during that time. Also as some have said it’s cheaper and less kids. In 10 years we had one change and that was last year on Oasis. We couldn’t go to Cozumel because of a Tropical Storm passing there. We also had to switch the day we were suppose to go to Labadee. We wound up with two extra sea days but that was ok. :cool: