Why cruise in September?

CruisingNole

I'm not trying to be facetious, but I am genuinely curious as to why someone would choose to cruise in areas susceptible to storms during September? It's peak hurricane season, odds are that your cruise/flight plans will change, causing you headache and financial burden...so why do it? Every year there's people crying and complaining about not being "compensated" enough for the inconvenience. However, folks know what they are getting into so how on earth can they be frustrated with the cruise-line and expect a freebie for their "troubles?"

I'm not trying to be facetious, but I am genuinely curious as to why someone would choose to cruise in areas susceptible to storms during September? It's peak hurricane season, odds are that your cruise/flight plans will change, causing you headache and financial burden...so why do it? Every year there's people crying and complaining about not being "compensated" enough for the inconvenience. However, folks know what they are getting into so how on earth can they be frustrated with the cruise-line and expect a freebie for their "troubles?"

Not everyone who cruises in September complains when "stuff" happens.

Whiners will find a reason to whine even in the most benign situations.

We’ve been fortunate. Every cruise has been late August to late September. We just knew the risk and planned accordingly. We’re just now getting to cruise again, but in the past the savings for this time of year were significant.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I wasn't insinuating "everyone" complains. Not at all. What I was getting at is those that do complain...you knew what you were getting into, so why bother?

Actually, if you read about these hurricanes and the weather in general, you will learn that storms have been growing more frequent and more violent every year. September is not necessarily a bad time to cruise; and just a few years ago, was even "less bad".

Actually, if you read about these hurricanes and the weather in general, you will learn that storms have been growing more frequent and more violent every year. September is not necessarily a bad time to cruise; and just a few years ago, was even "less bad".

I had a new fence built around my house in Florida August 2016. A few months later, a storm came through (forget which one), and repairs had to be made. Then in 2017, Irma came through, and the fence needed more repairs, along with my roof.

I should have just taken the damn thing down. :)

We sometimes cruise in September, knowing the risk. More likely we cruise in October for our anniversary, and sometimes we have dodged hurricanes for our vacation weeks. We have been skunked twice. The first time was on the Pacific coast for a Mexican Riviera cruise, where a hurricane took out all 3 ports. The ship sailed to Northern CA- San Francisco and then back to Southern CA where we had started the cruise.

The second time was a Caribbean cruise. It wasn't weather related...but who knew that there was something called "Fall Break"? And the ship was full of children. We didn't realize that there would be a school break so soon after they had started for the school year. :confused:;):D

Actually, hurricane activity is at a 30 year low. Statistic don't bare out what the climate alarmists would have you believe.

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2009/03/12/global-hurricane-activity-has-decreased-to-the-lowest-level-in-30-years/

I'm not trying to be facetious, but I am genuinely curious as to why someone would choose to cruise in areas susceptible to storms during September? It's peak hurricane season, odds are that your cruise/flight plans will change, causing you headache and financial burden...so why do it?

We cruise in September because it's our anniversary month and because kids are back at school. Usually choose the Med but this year we are on Anthem. Being from another continent I was aware of hurricane risk in the Caribbean but didn't realise it can affect the whole of the east coast of American/Canada too, sometimes folk from different countries are not experts on weather in your area

Actually, hurricane activity is at a 30 year low. Statistic don't bare out what the climate alarmists would have you believe.

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2009/03/12/global-hurricane-activity-has-decreased-to-the-lowest-level-in-30-years/

You know what they say about statistics.... - plus that article is nearly 10 years out of date!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We have cruised in September the last 15 years and have not been effected by hurricanes. We just returned from Allure on Sept 9 and had dead calm seas on the way home. Yes there is a risk, and I take this into consideration when I book during storm season. If you are flexible and keep realistic expectations you will likely be surprised. Good prices and kids back in school - works for me.

We cruised last week of August (so just before September but also risk of hurricane). We knew it was a risk and I was a bit concerned when booking but it's more of a timing issue for us. Kids are in camp for the summer and we always take the week off in the summer before. Our next cruise with them is March break as we don't take them out of school, but it's much more expensive and I'm sure crowds will be bad. So it's a risk we took for together timing, good price (cruise + flight) and not as busy.

P.S. we got lucky with amazing weather as this started right upon our return

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Because the suites I book are 60% less during this time. You have to be crazy to pay north of $10k for a suite on RCI with its banquet food and mass crowds. For that kind of money, and if cruising is your thing there are substantially better lines.

Because it's cheaper and less kids, but before the holidays get underway.

It’s way cheaper, and lots of people don’t care as much about the destinations.

+1. We have cruised in September for years, and occasionally during the last week. The only hurricane occurrence we had was the last week of October and it was Hurricane Sandy.

We cruise during peak hurricane season because the prices drop significantly, and there are less kids onboard so the ships seem less crowded. Only one of our cruises was affected by a hurricane, and it was a basic itinerary change (the order of the ports was reversed). No complaints from us.

+1. We have cruised in September for years, and occasionally during the last week. The only hurricane occurrence we had was the last week of October and it was Hurricane Sandy.

While working as a tax accountant, all my vacations had to be scheduled after October 15, also got caught in the Sandy mess of 2012. Being retired I found September a good time to take the Anthem to NE and Canada, good prices, few kids, great ship. Prefer end of May for Caribbean cruises.

We cruise in September and June in each year for our birthdays. The September cruise is better priced, fewer kids and usually receive better service. We live in Florida so have always been able to make it to the ship. We have had some ports changed, but no big deal. If you are willing to be flexible, September is a nice time to cruise.

I agree with the less kids and cheaper pricing for Sept Cruises. The OP said you have a high chance that your cruise will be affected by a hurricane, but really the chance that a storm will affect you is small, although slightly higher in Sept. Remember that hurricanes are big news stories and good weather is not. For me the chance is worth it.