Does any one miss the daily newspapers?

Cruzin like 60

We have been on three Celebrity ships this year (Infinity, Summit and are presently on the Millennium). None have had the news summaries, and quite frankly I don't miss them.

The Millennium definitely has both the daily crossword puzzle and the sudoku.

So did the Infinity on our recent cruise (2-9 September 2018).

Yes I believe it is the newspapers that they have stopped printing, not Celebrity Today. And yes I miss them.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We had them on our Jan.2017 cruise. I guess just another reason we've switched to Oceania. Was getting tired of the cutbacks.

In February, the newspapers were located in the HideAway. In August, they are no longer being printed due to "saving paper". I also am annoyed at all that junk mail that comes out for the Art Auctions, shopping tours, etc. At least, the crossword puzzles and Sudoku are still available.

In February, the newspapers were located in the HideAway. In August, they are no longer being printed due to "saving paper". I also am annoyed at all that junk mail that comes out for the Art Auctions, shopping tours, etc. At least, the crossword puzzles are still available.

Agree. Those invites/notices/advertisements always go straight in the trash can.

I am disappointed as we are boarding the Summit on October 7. In regards to Elite cocktail hour, I have read the ships are transitioning to loading 3 drinks on your card. Do you know if this has been implemented on the Summit? ANY thing you can share about the cruise is greatly appreciated! THANK YOU.

@FlorenceItaly Three drinks per evening are placed on your SeaPass card and can be used at any bar on the ship between the hours of 5pm and 7pm. In addition, they still have the same two hour long cocktail party in the Sky Lounge (same 3 drinks per Elite Member) with the addition of passed hors d’oeurvers. I liked the chance however on this trip to use my 3 drinks in the OceanView Cafe or the MDR. Just to switch it up a little! You will love the SUMMIT and the New England/Canada itinerary! Plus you will be in good time to see the beautiful fall colors. Alas, we are a few weeks too early, but great cruise none the less.

Thanks for the update. On a side note, we are overnighting on Quebec next year on a Princess cruise. What are your opinions on Quebec City?

Quebec City is very charming, clean, full of beautiful fall flowers and safe. Very walkable, except for the BIG CLIFFS!!! Haha...no worries with those as there is a FREE shuttle to take guests from the ship, right outside the terminal, to the heart of one of the lovely shopping streets. Then the shuttle can take you back to the ship again. DH and I actually like this city so well that we are planning on coming here on our own in the Spring. You will love it!!!

I really enjoyed the daily newspapers and enjoyed reading news from different countries. If Celebrity is saving paper, have they also discontinued the daily crossword puzzles and sudoku games that could be found in the same area as the daily newspapers? I liked the crossword puzzles as they would gradually get harder each day of the cruise.

The daily crosswords and sodoku puzzles are still available on my present sailing.

Quebec City is very charming, clean, full of beautiful fall flowers and safe. Very walkable, except for the BIG CLIFFS!!! Haha...no worries with those as there is a FREE shuttle to take guests from the ship, right outside the terminal, to the heart of one of the lovely shopping streets. Then the shuttle can take you back to the ship again. DH and I actually like this city so well that we are planning on coming here on our own in the Spring. You will love it!!!

Thank you for the information. We are actually cruising from FL to Quebec City next July and Quebec was the main reason we booked - first visit for our family ;). Glad to hear you are enjoying exploring it - sounds wonderful.

@FlorenceItaly Three drinks per evening are placed on your SeaPass card and can be used at any bar on the ship between the hours of 5pm and 7pm. In addition, they still have the same two hour long cocktail party in the Sky Lounge (same 3 drinks per Elite Member) with the addition of passed hors d’oeurvers. I liked the chance however on this trip to use my 3 drinks in the OceanView Cafe or the MDR. Just to switch it up a little! You will love the SUMMIT and the New England/Canada itinerary! Plus you will be in good time to see the beautiful fall colors. Alas, we are a few weeks too early, but great cruise none the less.

Thank you so much! It sounds like you are having a great time. I agree, Quebec City is fabulous. We fell in love with it too when we cruised a few years ago on Princess NY-Quebec. We stayed a few days post cruise. How is the live music around the ship?

One of the nice things about MSC's Yacht Club -- they have a special printing machine that can take real time news from a couple of dozen newspapers and print out a 8 to 12 page summary. So you could sign up to receive the NY Times, USA today, Wall Street Journal, and newspapers from many major cities; all printed out on paper about 60% of the size of an actual newspaper.

Very high quality. We only picked one newspaper and it was delivered to our cabin every morning in a canvas tube bag.

Enjoy!

Kel:D

Thank you so much! It sounds like you are having a great time. I agree, Quebec City is fabulous. We fell in love with it too when we cruised a few years ago on Princess NY-Quebec. We stayed a few days post cruise. How is the live music around the ship?

The live music is generally great. The evening shows have been very entertaining and is is always nice to hear the live Celebrity orchestra.

Shame they don’t print the news summaries on the back of those advertisements, at least then they would be read before being put straight into the waste bin.

I wish there was a like button on here, this is so true and really made me chuckle.

They never had the newspaper I read anyway, so this is no loss. Also glad to see more hotels dropping USA Today. My home subscription comes with full access to the WSJ website, so when I travel I suspend home delivery and read the website using my ship internet package.

Sorry to hear that the newspaper has been discontinued. My husband and I went to Guest Relations every day to get the newspaper - at 10:00 am. The US edition was popular. Saw editions from other countries remaining in their slots. Celebrity - please keep printing the US edition.

Yes I miss and miss nyt crossword too....liked the us, uk, Canada issues. Gone on 4th July cruise. The crosswords that were available in same display were never satisfactory- too easy.

One thing I did like on Oceania was copy of printed daily paper in concierge lounge- Wsj, nyt. Wish Celebrity could do same in Michael’s . Paper was to be read in lounge, not removed.

Sent from my iPad using Forums