Does any one miss the daily newspapers?

Cruzin like 60

They were in Guest Relations every day at 1130 & don’t be there at 1135 because they’d be gone. They were in a revolving rack to the left of the Guest Relations desk on Eclipse

Sent from my iPad using Forums

During my late April/early May cruise on the Summit, whenever I went to get one of the newspapers and they were gone, I just asked guest services if they had more. Then they would print one for me. I guess this only works if they haven't totally stopped the newspapers.

They were in Guest Relations every day at 1130 & don’t be there at 1135 because they’d be gone. They were in a revolving rack to the left of the Guest Relations desk on Eclipse

We were on Eclipse in August and no papers, my DH misses them more than I do, we got the same explanation , saving paper pity they don’t tell the other flyers about it

This decision is a no-brainer for celebrity. Printing papers daily in a multitude of languages costs mony no matter how many or how few cruisers pick them up.

Forcing people who want to keep current with new from their home countries that might not be on MSNBC or the BBC to buy unlimited interest packages makes money for Celebrity.

So sad, too bad. Case closed. Benefit dropped. Bottom line wins!

Geeorge +

We miss the newspapers and while we have generally good internet onboard the internet on the Equinox in August was terrible.

I thought the internet on Equinox Aug 25 - Sept. 5 was quite good. I did look for the newspapers, but never saw any. I didn't ask, as we hadn't sailed Celebrity in 5 years. EM

This decision is a no-brainer for celebrity. Printing papers daily in a multitude of languages costs mony no matter how many or how few cruisers pick them up.

Forcing people who want to keep current with new from their home countries that might not be on MSNBC or the BBC to buy unlimited interest packages makes money for Celebrity.

So sad, too bad. Case closed. Benefit dropped. Bottom line wins!

Geeorge +

So true. So sad. I wonder what other lines are doing?

I like to check different countries "newspaper", and the different problems in different countries. On the other hand, calling it "newspaper" is forcing the term: it was just few headlines and very short news. So uninformative that one can get more information on news on television (which transcripts are shorter than "newspaper", but images give some extra "lines").

So I'll miss it (one less option), but really it do not matter much for me.

I miss the newspapers as I liked to read them during breakfast. I don't stay in the room to watch TV. I wish they would add the daily paper as an option on the new app (if it ever gets rolled out). I don't want to be stuck in my room looking at the TV, I want to sip coffee at Cafe Baccio (sp?) and peruse the news and catch up on sports scores.

Nope, won't miss them. I cruise to get away from it all. If it's earth shatteringly important, it will be on one of the news channels on TV, which we often watch while dressing for dinner. If it's of local (to us) importance, we'll catch it when we check our email or do a little websurfing with free WiFi in port.

Internet is usually too slow for doing very much online like checking news and the TV is limited for news and weather.

Connection speeds have improved in recent years allowing us to get our fill of news online. Don't watch much tv while at sea but believe X carries CNN, MSNBC, Fox News, BBC and Headline News plus two ESPN channels (which only seem to show soccer and cricket).

Wow. I must not miss the news as I have been on Millennium for 10 days now and didn't miss them until you wrote this thread. For those asking they still deliver the Daily Today with activities but that may go away with the new Celebrity App they are rolling out.

I personally use Google News at home and continue to use on the ship. I never found the Daily News interesting as it was usually old news by the time they printed.

What is this topic about? Has Celebrity stopped providing the four-page newsletters “Britain Today”, “USA Today”, “Canada Today” etc. ?

Yes, they were not available on our recent cruise. They said they were "saving paper". I was told the news was on the tv in our room. Every day, they had the same news with no updates or changes. I used to love reading those papers learning what was going on in different countries. No more...

Sorry that I wasn’t more specific when I posted. I am presently on the SUMMIT. I am referring to the daily paper that you can pick up at the front desk around noon and comes in different languages. I AM NOT speaking of the Celebrity daily schedule that shows up on your room in the evening with the activities listed. When we found out on the first full day of the cruise that the 4 page paper was not showing up on wooden rounder by the front desk, I asked one of the front desk people about it. She said the company stopped the paper this summer because “you can see the news on your TV in your cabin”. I was like WHAT? First of all, who wants to be in their cabin to watch the news, second the TV in the cabins are like so ‘2000’s’....kind of kidsing about that but the satellite service is awful and third, Celebrity is making us buy WiFi just to find out what is going on in the world, for those of us who care even tho we are on vacation. Celebrity is trying to “dumb us down”. BTW, we are in Port in Quebec City and am using free WIFI, for this note AND for the news!

Sorry that I wasn’t more specific when I posted. I am presently on the SUMMIT. I am referring to the daily paper that you can pick up at the front desk around noon and comes in different languages. I AM NOT speaking of the Celebrity daily schedule that shows up on your room in the evening with the activities listed. When we found out on the first full day of the cruise that the 4 page paper was not showing up on wooden rounder by the front desk, I asked one of the front desk people about it. She said the company stopped the paper this summer because “you can see the news on your TV in your cabin”. I was like WHAT? First of all, who wants to be in their cabin to watch the news, second the TV in the cabins are like so ‘2000’s’....kind of kidsing about that but the satellite service is awful and third, Celebrity is making us buy WiFi just to find out what is going on in the world, for those of us who care even tho we are on vacation. Celebrity is trying to “dumb us down”. BTW, we are in Port in Quebec City and am using free WIFI, for this note AND for the news!

I am disappointed as we are boarding the Summit on October 7. In regards to Elite cocktail hour, I have read the ships are transitioning to loading 3 drinks on your card. Do you know if this has been implemented on the Summit? ANY thing you can share about the cruise is greatly appreciated! THANK YOU.

Another cutback and like all cutbacks some will miss it , others not at all . I'll miss it.

They daily news summaries had been discontinued--ostensibly to reduce paper waste--when I sailed Infinity in late May/early June... Not happy given the endless printed advertisements from the shops, the spa, the art auction, etc otherwise delivered--to one's stateroom--daily...
A wise lady once said , " Don't pee on my leg and tell me it's raining !".

Thanks for the update. On a side note, we are overnighting on Quebec next year on a Princess cruise. What are your opinions on Quebec City?

I will miss the daily “newpaper”. Used to go and get one each day (along with a crossword/soduku) not so much because I had a huge need to keep up with the news but because I would read them over coffee and then keep them to bring home.

Love going back through photos from cruises that we took in the past and also seeing a brief snippet of what was going on in the world at that time! The farther in the past the cruise was, the more interesting!

Still love my postcard booklets that I bought on our very first cruise on Song of Norway back in the 80’s. It showed various venues around the ship. Everything looks so tiny compared to today!

I really enjoyed the daily newspapers and enjoyed reading news from different countries. If Celebrity is saving paper, have they also discontinued the daily crossword puzzles and sudoku games that could be found in the same area as the daily newspapers? I liked the crossword puzzles as they would gradually get harder each day of the cruise.

I really enjoyed the daily newspapers and enjoyed reading news from different countries. If Celebrity is saving paper, have they also discontinued the daily crossword puzzles and sudoku games that could be found in the same area as the daily newspapers? I liked the crossword puzzles as they would gradually get harder each day of the cruise.
The crossword and sodoku puzzles were still at the kiosk by guest relations when we were on Equinox in May.

If Celebrity is saving paper, have they also discontinued the daily crossword puzzles and sudoku games that could be found in the same area as the daily newspapers? I liked the crossword puzzles as they would gradually get harder each day of the cruise.

We have been on three Celebrity ships this year (Infinity, Summit and are presently on the Millennium). None have had the news summaries, and quite frankly I don't miss them.

The Millennium definitely has both the daily crossword puzzle and the sudoku.