Food on NCL - Have you noticed a downward change???

SoloCruise777

As for me, I have always come off the cruise having had very good food from somewhere. Whether it's wings or a prime rib or LeBristro's. Also, for as many people who will complain about nasty food, there are an awful lot of those people also complaining about how much they ate and how much weight they have gained. Now who eats nasty food to the point of gaining weight? I'm sure NCL tries to please as many as possible, but impossible to please all.

We sailed on the Getaway several years ago and the food was great. In May we sailed on the Getaway and were very disappointed in the food. But in Sept we went on the Sun and were very happy with the food selections. So it might be a change on the Getaway.

Yes! I've only been on 2 NCL cruises..first one I was amazed how wonderful the steak was in main dining room..2nd time it was horrible,covered with some kind of sauce to disguise it ..both were on Epic..

That is interesting. I have never had a steak in any restaurant on any cruise, regardless of the line with any kind of sauce unless it was a sauce that belonged on the steak and noted on the menu like Steak Diane or something like that.

Me. I know very few people who don’t put salsa on omelettes.

Perhaps you are from Texas. I was born in Texas and cut my teeth on great Mexican food. However, I don't put salsa on my omelettes. Judging from what I see in the omelette lines on ships, I don't see many doing that either. Still, it might be a great choice, especially with a southwestern omelette.

We’ve been cruising NCL since 2002. There is definitely a pattern. Over time, the provisioners, chefs and/or the main office makes a decision to buy less expensive products in order to boost the bottom line. This continues until word gets out and threads like this start to become commonplace. Then with great fanfare, corporate announces spectacular new menus and the cycle starts all over again.

I remember, sometime in the past, maybe around 2010, the food quality in Cagney’s got so poor, people stopped going—the meat had really degraded to like B-grade prison food (maybe slight exaggeration). It was so bad, you could walk into Cagney’s any night of the cruise at 7pm without a reservation. And then, guess what? A new menu came out!

Threads like this do not surprise me.

Perhaps you are from Texas. I was born in Texas and cut my teeth on great Mexican food. However, I don't put salsa on my omelettes. Judging from what I see in the omelette lines on ships, I don't see many doing that either. Still, it might be a great choice, especially with a southwestern omelette.

Haha! Not even close. Never even been there.

Food in NCL's MDRs is definitely of a lower quality than Royal Caribbean or even Carnival. I would describe it as mediocre at best. The fare at Moderno, Le Bistro, and Cagney's is excellent, but, of course, it costs more.

I agree with you. They shouldn't be doing what I described. I personally have never been disappointed food wise on a cruise but we sail Royal Caribbean almost always. I'm not terribly picky either.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

This same discussion has been going on on the RCI board for several months. They will all continue to cut until passengers move on to other options.

"cooking for over 3000" is a cop out as an excuse for the poor quality. It is possible to serve very high quality meals to 1000s. High end banquet halls and caterers do it all the time.

Regal and Royal Princess ships serve 3,000+ people, and the food in MDR and the buffet is fantastic.

Food in NCL's MDRs is definitely of a lower quality than Royal Caribbean
when I was inquiring about NCL's food a couple of months ago, most people agreed that it was better than RCI, but worse than Princess. I was even told that if RCI is a 1 and Princess is a 10, NCL rates right around 5.

We never eat lamb as it tastes like rancid beef, in fact the very smell of it almost makes me heave. To answer the main question, no we have noticed no change in the food on NCL at any point.

I never order lamb either.

Another poster mentioned that poached salmon is now on the lunch menu. That's a good thing.

I put salsa on burgers. Mmmmm yummy.

Just off the Sun. I thought the food was very good with the exception of the pasta which didn't seem fresh (tried it 2 or 3 times). I have previously always loved the pasta on cruises. We always have dinner in the DR and for the first time ever tried a specialty restaurant, Moderno, and were not impressed. We cruised on Jade in 2015 and thought the food was excellent so I would agree that there has been a slight decrease.

Last month, we were aboard the NCL GEM, Canada/New England, NYC to Quebec City.

Visiting the East Coast, one would have expected lobster to be served at some MDR dinner. No lobster. A disappointment.

Prime rib in the MDR was an extremely thin slice of that meat . A disappointment.

Asked for a whole wheat roll in the MDR at dinner, but they can only offer the type in that evening's bread basket presented at dinner Not a disappointment, but makes one wonder.

We have taken 30 cruises ( HAL, PRINCESS,

CELEBRITY ). All have had superb food.

We were aboard the NCL DAWN 6 years ago. Food was much better then, compared to what we had on the GEM in September.

The times ( it appears ), are a-changin'.

Regal and Royal Princess ships serve 3,000+ people, and the food in MDR and the buffet is fantastic.

when I was inquiring about NCL's food a couple of months ago, most people agreed that it was better than RCI, but worse than Princess. I was even told that if RCI is a 1 and Princess is a 10, NCL rates right around 5.

I agree about Regal and Royal Princess. Buffers are simply amazing, plus great MDR food, plus International cafe.

However I think Royal and NCL invests more into entertainment than Princess. It's all about how you allocate money.

Although I was really surprised how weak was MDR food on QM2.

I agree about Regal and Royal Princess. Buffers are simply amazing, plus great MDR food, plus International cafe.

However I think Royal and NCL invests more into entertainment than Princess. It's all about how you allocate money.

Although I was really surprised how weak was MDR food on QM2.

Seriously the food in the buffet on my Royal Princess cruise was only fit for pigs. The presentation of the refried beans reminded me of a pile of dead bees.

Annie

Last month, we were aboard the NCL GEM, Canada/New England, NYC to Quebec City.

Visiting the East Coast, one would have expected lobster to be served at some MDR dinner. No lobster. A disappointment.

Prime rib in the MDR was an extremely thin slice of that meat . A disappointment.

We were in that cruise, sometimes I just had a hamburger, (without bread) in the buffet because the food was so sub par, hamburgers were tasty and juicy though