Jump to content
kuddles14

Hotels in Rome near attractions.

Recommended Posts

Looking for hotel recommendations in Rome that are near popular tourist attractions. Would like to be within walking distance if possible.

 

Thank you.

 

Kathy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are MANY threads here discussing hotels. There are quite a few hotels near most of the sites, as only the Vatican is not in the main tourist walkable area. It is very easy to get around in Rome, either by walking, or taxi. Public transit isn't bad either. Just takes a little research...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, kuddles14 said:

Looking for hotel recommendations in Rome that are near popular tourist attractions. Would like to be within walking distance if possible.

 

Thank you.

 

Kathy

 

We have stayed twice at The Fifteen Keys Hotel in the Monte district of Rome, and have it booked again for our next trip to Rome.  We walked to the Colosseum, Pantheon, Trevi Fountain, Forum, Termini station etc.  We liked that the hotel is on a quiet side street but still close to things we wanted to do.  Check out hotels on TripAdvisor. They show you a map and you can see where hotels are in relationship to the sites.  Good luck in your planning!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We just got back and stayed at Hotel Smeraldo.  It was in a perfect location central to all highlights of Rome.  

We walked everywhere.  Vatican 30 mins,  Colosseum 25 mins, Campo Fiori, 3 mins, Pantheon 10-15 mins, Piazza Navona, 10 mins, Trevi Fountain 15 mins.  

Room was small but very clean. 

Good breakfast included.  

We stayed in the updated room with balcony. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We just returned from a Mediterranean cruise and stayed pre-cruise 3 days in Rome at Hotel Damaso.

It is on the corner of Corso Vittorio Emanuele II and Piazza della Cancelleria.  Corso Vittorio Emanuele II is a wide

east-west thoroughfare that courses through Rome. We discovered that this was such a perfect location to help us get to so many landmarks and not get lost. We walked down this main street to the Colosseum and in the other direction to the Vatican. We did a Food Tour in Trastevere which was also a short walk as the Hotel is in the Capo de Fiori area. The front desk is very helpful with maps and directions. They also have a great breakfast and the VERY BEST COFFEE we had on our entire trip!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hotel Dei Borgognoni. Stayed here in June and loved it. Lovely rooms, excellent staff. Right between Trevi Fountain and Spanish Steps. We walked everywhere easily except Vatican and Coliseum. Perfect location in my opinion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've booked a room at the Albergo Del Senato which is 100 feet from the Pantheon. Recommended by others on CC and is centrally located for walking to most sites in Rome. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/24/2018 at 11:55 PM, nini said:

We just returned from a Mediterranean cruise and stayed pre-cruise 3 days in Rome at Hotel Damaso.

It is on the corner of Corso Vittorio Emanuele II and Piazza della Cancelleria.  Corso Vittorio Emanuele II is a wide

east-west thoroughfare that courses through Rome. We discovered that this was such a perfect location to help us get to so many landmarks and not get lost. We walked down this main street to the Colosseum and in the other direction to the Vatican. We did a Food Tour in Trastevere which was also a short walk as the Hotel is in the Capo de Fiori area. The front desk is very helpful with maps and directions. They also have a great breakfast and the VERY BEST COFFEE we had on our entire trip!

So happy to hear this as we are booked here for our stay pre-cruise May 2019.  Yay!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kittie what were the rates when you were at the Albergo, it appears to be a pricey Hotel. Daughter & I are looking for our first visit after our 2020 Southern Caribbean. i did like the looks of the Smeraldo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wanted to ensure that we had a view of the Pantheon so we booked a superior double room for two nights for $388 Euros. You can get a discount (not much) by going to the bottom of the home page where it says News & Discounts and click the Subscribe button. They'll send you an email to confirm subscription and then you'll get a discount when you book a room. Learned that from another CC member who just stayed at this hotel. Also noticed a social media discount on their website which can add another 5% off. The prices also change at different times of the year. We are going in August.

 

The Hotel Smeraldo looks like it is in a nice central location too. You have lots of time to look at different hotels. I really enjoy researching all the hotels and things to do, both on CC and online. Although I spent a lot more time looking at hotels for Venice pre-cruise than for Rome. A couple of people on CC mentioned the Albergo del Senato and my love of ancient history led me to want to stay right next to the Pantheon. I also love older styles and am not really into modern. So just keep looking till the right place comes along. You'll know it when it happens. :classic_smile:

 

Another thing to do, especially if you are booking way ahead of time, is to book a room with free cancellation. It costs a little more but then you can still continue to look around and if you find something else, just cancel the first one you have booked. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you for your recommendations, I also love to research and visiting Italy has been my dream trip among other places. We got a late start in cruising. I won't load you with details, isn't time or place, but I lost my husband of 48 years near the end of our Serenade TA a yr ago last September, so the daughter is joining me now on the adventures. I am starting back into cruising with our Hawaii cruise in March followed by the Freedom b2b the following year. I am 73 now so I do hope to do the Greek isle in 2021 if nothing else. :classic_smile: As far as the daughter, she can cruise March or Oct due to her work. March seems to be her slow months or Oct when her season is ending. She travels the States with her Australian Show to State Fairs. 

 

Gay

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

March or October should have better hotel rates. :classic_smile:

 

I enjoyed cruising for many years with my mom. I felt very lucky she asked me to go with her. Trip next year will be second cruise with my husband.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Daughter & I talked about a cruise together after she flew up to ST Johns to be with me  at the hospital for her father and where our ship diverted to so am really glad she enjoys cruising and of course she loves to travel so probably most of the time I won't have to go solo but she is limited on when she can go so was surprised when she said March would be alright.

 

Gay

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is another hotel besides Albergo del Senato with a view of the Pantheon- Albergo Abruzzi. It’s a bit cheaper. There is no restaurant, but breakfast can be arranged through vouchers with a restaurant on the same square. The staff are excellent.

My room looked right at the Pantheon. It was on the first floor, but with the windows closed, we slept very well.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We recently stayed at 9 Hotel Cesari which is between the Trevi Fountain and the Pantheon.  Great location - easy walk to so many places and many places to eat.  Staff was wonderful.  Great breakfast included and Happy Hour every night at the rooftop bar (not included but reasonably priced).  Only recommendation is to ask for a room not facing the street.  There is a nightly light and sound show nearby that took some getting used to as we were going to bed each night.

 

Bottom line is the great location and reasonable price makes up for the somewhat dated rooms and the nightly light and sound show.  I would definitely stay at 9 Hotel Cesari again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello.  I can highly recommend the Lancelot Hotel.  It is located very close to the Colosseum.  Family run, clean and fairly priced but it does sell out early.   Happy planning...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With our 3 cruises, Hawaii in March and b2b Southern Caribbean the following year, I told the daughter to give us more time to really plan and save up we better move our plans to 2021 after our two Caribbean cruises. With 3 cruises I really don't want to try and add another 6 months later and budget for it. For a trip to Rome & the Greek Isle I would prefer to devote all my attention to that trip. I will watch this thread with interest to aid in my planning. 

 

Gay

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We stayed at 9 Hotel Cesari, $180/night with breakfast.  Close to everything.  Nice hotel.  17 euro Uber from Rome Termini.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just off the Celebrity Silhouette in early November and stayed at the Albergo del Sole Al Pantheon Hotel in view of the Pantheon!  Loved this charming historic hotel right on the Piazza della Rotonda within walking distance to many key sites. Booked easily directly with the hotel on their website, for our two night post-cruise visit. Just like most Rome hotel direct websites, they offer refundable and non-refundable (but lower prices when booking online).  We had priced some of the other hotels in the area, including the well-reviewed Albergo del Senato, but unfortunately they were not in our budget.  Prior to arriving, I had emailed the Sol Pantheon with some questions and they were always prompt with answering back. We arrived early and they held our luggage, so that we could begin our sightseeing. Front desk staff was professional and helpful.  You get an actual key to the room, which you turn in every time you leave the hotel.  We had a third floor double room with a window facing the piazza, so it was a delight to watch the activity down below, and even hear a beautiful violinist one evening. We loved that this property had the quaint Roman charm that we were looking for. The room was smallish (which is normal for Rome), but had plenty of room for us and our luggage. The bathroom was nice, clean, with plenty of towels. Safe and refrigerator in the room, and free wifi also. Our bed was comfortable in room 310, but my sister's bed in 212 (overlooking inner courtyard) was very hard (so they should change that mattress for an easy fix).  Our room was quiet, but again 212 was next to the elevator and DS said it was a bit noisy at night. 

I understand from their website and reviews that they also have annex rooms in another building on the piazza, so be sure you know what you are booking.  I don't know anything about those rooms, but preferred being in the main property.  The property is old (1468!) but has been remodeled while keeping it's architectural charm. If you only want American chain type hotels, this is not for you.  😉Breakfast buffet 7-10am, offered some hot choices such as egg sandwich and scrambled eggs; along with hard boiled eggs, breads, pastries, yogurt, cheese, fruit, vegetables, juices and the nice ladies offered cappuccino, in addition to coffee and tea. They do have a small elevator which we used with our luggage, but mostly we used the stairs. Totally satisfied with our choice for charm, location, value and Roman ambiance.   It's amazing to stay in the heart of ancient Rome and especially at night, when the city comes alive with lights, music, entertainers, artists and diners leisurely enjoying themselves.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Trish Traveler said:

Just off the Celebrity Silhouette in early November and stayed at the Albergo del Sole Al Pantheon Hotel in view of the Pantheon!  Loved this charming historic hotel right on the Piazza della Rotonda within walking distance to many key sites. Booked easily directly with the hotel on their website, for our two night post-cruise visit. Just like most Rome hotel direct websites, they offer refundable and non-refundable (but lower prices when booking online).  We had priced some of the other hotels in the area, including the well-reviewed Albergo del Senato, but unfortunately they were not in our budget.  Prior to arriving, I had emailed the Sol Pantheon with some questions and they were always prompt with answering back. We arrived early and they held our luggage, so that we could begin our sightseeing. Front desk staff was professional and helpful.  You get an actual key to the room, which you turn in every time you leave the hotel.  We had a third floor double room with a window facing the piazza, so it was a delight to watch the activity down below, and even hear a beautiful violinist one evening. We loved that this property had the quaint Roman charm that we were looking for. The room was smallish (which is normal for Rome), but had plenty of room for us and our luggage. The bathroom was nice, clean, with plenty of towels. Safe and refrigerator in the room, and free wifi also. Our bed was comfortable in room 310, but my sister's bed in 212 (overlooking inner courtyard) was very hard (so they should change that mattress for an easy fix).  Our room was quiet, but again 212 was next to the elevator and DS said it was a bit noisy at night. 

I understand from their website and reviews that they also have annex rooms in another building on the piazza, so be sure you know what you are booking.  I don't know anything about those rooms, but preferred being in the main property.  The property is old (1468!) but has been remodeled while keeping it's architectural charm. If you only want American chain type hotels, this is not for you.  😉Breakfast buffet 7-10am, offered some hot choices such as egg sandwich and scrambled eggs; along with hard boiled eggs, breads, pastries, yogurt, cheese, fruit, vegetables, juices and the nice ladies offered cappuccino, in addition to coffee and tea. They do have a small elevator which we used with our luggage, but mostly we used the stairs. Totally satisfied with our choice for charm, location, value and Roman ambiance.   It's amazing to stay in the heart of ancient Rome and especially at night, when the city comes alive with lights, music, entertainers, artists and diners leisurely enjoying themselves.

I'm very happy to read your report. It's a hotel I've looked at many times but have heard mixed reviews and so wasn't sure whether to recommend it or not.  I prefer hotels like this with local character and it's always good to have alternatives in mind...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We stayed at Residenza Argentina prior to our cruise in September 2016.  It was conveniently located to many sites.  In fact, we walked to the Vatican, Colosseum and Jewish Ghetto.  The hotel is small, with only a few rooms on each floor.  The continental breakfast was tasty and offered enough variety for us.  Since the hotel is accessed by walking through two courtyards, there wasn't any street noise.  

IMG_2233.JPG

IMG_5253.jpg

IMG_2592.JPG

IMG_2596.JPG

IMG_2234.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Victory Cruise Lines Sweepstakes - Enter now for a chance to win a free 9-night cruise on Victory II
      • Holiday Exchange - Jingle and Mingle 2018
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Community Contests
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×