New Club Orange

Crew News

15 minutes ago, Lava123 said:

Is worth to pay for the Neptune suiite so you are able to access the Neptune lounge? What is so special about the Neptune lounge. Any nice views? 

No views in the Neptune Lounge on any ship except the Prinsendam (which leaves the fleet on July 1st).  

Neptune Lounge has concierges (bypassing the front desk, shore excursions, specialty dining reservations, etc.), munchies - continental breakfast in the morning, light lunch snacks and cocktail munchies in the afternoon.

Usually a laptop there (you still pay for internet access), large screen tv, and a nice coffee machine & teas.  (Same tea as in the Pinnacle Grill).

Also, oj in the morning (fresh squeezed normally), water, cranberry juice in the afternoon, etc.

Hope this helps a bit.

54 minutes ago, Lava123 said:

Is worth to pay for the Neptune suiite so you are able to access the Neptune lounge? What is so special about the Neptune lounge. Any nice views? 

The only NL with outside view is on Prinsendam- all others look into the hallways. 

NL has espresso machine and snacks depending on time of day.  Neptune Suites have great verandas for outside viewing.

Value of NS is up to you. We enjoy the extra space and the benefits. Love the quiet breakfast in PG on all but the two newest ships

It is $50 per person per day.  I think that it is a ripoff.  It gives you the opportunity to spend more money more easily on their upcharges.  The special menu at dinner would actually cost more than going to specialty restaurant every night.  You do get one glass of sparkling wine that should be worth $100 a day every day of the cruise.  You also get an orange tote bag (one per cabin) . I'm happy with the one I always get.

I am sure there will be a few people that don't mind throwing away money that will fall for this gimmick.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Lava123 said:

I've never considered the lounge as one of the factors in booking a Neptune On most (all?) ships the lounge is buried in the interior of the ship, with no outside views. Some may say that having the concierge access makes it all worthwhile, but we've never had to interact with the enough, to say its a must-have. 

Its the size and comfort of the Neptune that we most appreciate about the room.

As to whether the price is right, that a decision you have to make for yourself. We generally only splurge if we get a really good deal (or upsell). One of the deal times was a Caribbean cruise with some friends. We wanted the bigger area, so we could all have breakfast together in our room (or Balcony) during the cruise. 

I’m still deciding whether I should take a Neptune suit or not. On the KONINGSDAM it’s $5000 for  the same time the Neptune suite on the MS NIEUW STATENDAMMS

Is another $5000 more( $16,000). Which is insane. I understand one ship is newer then the other but wondering is there more entertainment,better service , and if the ship is in better condition one ship more then the other?

Thank You

Hey Realtor - that's kinda how I'm leaning :/  I've not seen any feedback saying 'OMG it's so worth it', and what i'm seeing isn't too convincing.  We get the hooch package and have only one day of tendering -not that the tender lines have ever been a problem.  Getting off early anyway as we have an early flight.  I think we'll stick to the original plan and be our fun ad hoc selves.  Besides, my hubby doesn't look good in orange 😉   Thanks to all for the feedback!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, FLREALTOR said:

It is $50 per person per day.  I think that it is a ripoff.  It gives you the opportunity to spend more money more easily on their upcharges.  The special menu at dinner would actually cost more than going to specialty restaurant every night.  You do get one glass of sparkling wine that should be worth $100 a day every day of the cruise.  You also get an orange tote bag (one per cabin) . I'm happy with the one I always get.

I am sure there will be a few people that don't mind throwing away money that will fall for this gimmick.

I agree 100%. Just another upsell ripoff by a cruise line.

I’m still deciding whether I should take a Neptune suit or not. On the KONINGSDAM it’s $5000 for  the same time the Neptune suite on the MS NIEUW STATENDAMMS

Is another $5000 more( $16,000). Which is insane. I understand one ship is newer then the other but wondering is there more entertainment,better service , and if the ship is in better condition one ship more then the other?

Thank You

I can’t see the difference in the ships, seriously.  They are sister ships.

Ok N Statendam just sailed out not long ago and may still have the “new ship smell” but Koningsdam is her twin.

Koningsdam is not ancient.  If the itineraries are equal or equally attractive and it’s the two you are deciding between, I’d go on the Koningsdam.  JMO.

17 hours ago, Lava123 said:

Thank You

Is it the same itinerary and the same dates?

Perhaps Nieuw Statendam is almost sold out of Neptunes whereas Koningsdam still has inventory.

Just got off phone with HAL ship services or something like that.

Sharp agent agreed that they were never trained on club orange..only got an email announcing it.

I mentioned that we booked Neptune on Mar 31st Nieuw Statendam and am upset with what I am reading on CC. She put me on hold and dialed then up..came back and agreed. Also talked to supervisor who told her they were replacing the crazy chairs in CO. She said open seating is still available in the MDR but no Pinnacle breakfast. CO or MDR or Lido, of course.

Then reiterated that this was only a trial and may change yet.

Good luck to us.

Seems like a last minute decision for a venue that wasn't producing enough revenue.  Let's call it Club Orange and offer it as a "premium experience".  Then someone likely added let's add it to the NS and PS benefits as an "exclusive" dining room. My guess is that the $50 per day per person revenue is what they were really after.

IMO and from what friends have said about the  "remodeled" CO on Koningsdam it needed a lot more than new chairs. The fish bowl wall of glass that looks out to a busy hallway  The high tables with stools for seating,  As someone on CC said "looked like Denny's at sea"

We always sail in a NS and use PG for dinner every night so CO dinner won't affect us.  We do love the quiet breakfast in PG sitting by a window (that looks out to the sea).  We don't eat in the MDR or Lido as we don't like the crowds and noise.  If they carve off a piece of the MDR for CO on the other ships the crowds and noise will still be there (unless they actually wall it off).

They are copying Princess "Club Class" with an "exclusive" area of the MDR.  It is still the MDR and the MDR menu with a couple of additional menu items.

1 hour ago, Responder said:

Just got off phone with HAL ship services or something like that.

Sharp agent agreed that they were never trained on club orange..only got an email announcing it.

I mentioned that we booked Neptune on Mar 31st Nieuw Statendam and am upset with what I am reading on CC. She put me on hold and dialed then up..came back and agreed. Also talked to supervisor who told her they were replacing the crazy chairs in CO. She said open seating is still available in the MDR but no Pinnacle breakfast. CO or MDR or Lido, of course.

Then reiterated that this was only a trial and may change yet.

Good luck to us.

You are on the N Stat sailing before ours, also in a Neptune. I've seen the photos of those chairs which appear much less comfortable than some I've seen in photos of Kdam Club Orange. So I hope they do replace them. 

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know when the Club Orange "Program" will be offered on the Eurodam? 

We are booked in a Neptune Suite on the Eurodam in October and was curious. 

We booked the NS for access to the Neptune Lounge and mainly for the breakfast in the PG, but now that breakfast will be in the MDR, we may change to a lower priced cabin.   Yes, we will sacrifice cabin space, but then the only main perk we use is the Lounge so it's likely not worth the extra $$$ for the Neptune Suite.  

12 minutes ago, showgirl85 said:

Does anyone know when the Club Orange "Program" will be offered on the Eurodam? 

We are booked in a Neptune Suite on the Eurodam in October and was curious. 

We booked the NS for access to the Neptune Lounge and mainly for the breakfast in the PG, but now that breakfast will be in the MDR, we may change to a lower priced cabin.   Yes, we will sacrifice cabin space, but then the only main perk we use is the Lounge so it's likely not worth the extra $$$ for the Neptune Suite.  

I wouldn't hold my breath- still in "test" mode on the Pinnacle ships.  From what I've seen from people on Koningsdam and Nieuw Statendam it isn't very busy.  

We will be having breakfast in our NS if it happens- we are definitely not fans of MDR and noise

On 1/31/2019 at 8:24 AM, sqrl18 said:

what were the menu choices? main dining is rather lackluster, so i'm hoping the food is better quality.  not interested in tenders or onboarding.  Deciding whether it's worth it or if i should stick to pay the , upcharge....  if you've done it would you do it again?

Club Orange offers the same menu as the MDR but they offer one special, which is the same as the special offered in Rudi's for that day.    See the attached Club Orange Menu from the NS and the Rudi's menu that shows the daily specials

Rudis Menu.pdf

Club Orange Mennu.pdf

Edited by The-Inside-Cabin

I was in a NS for my Jan cruise on K'dam. I don't think CO is a "test" or a "trial." It's on all the signs at the elevators. It's here to stay.

I took one look at CO and knew it wasn't for me. CO is all 2's and 4's. What would happen when I walked in alone? I'd almost certainly end up seated by myself.  That's OK for breakfast, but not dinner. I immediately went to the concierge and asked her to change me back to my original choice, early fixed dining, large table. I also let her know that I did not like that this CO thing was sprung on me with no advance notice. (I wouldn't have had a clue about it if it weren't for Cruise Critic) It couldn't be changed the first night, so I ate in the Lido--for the menu (Yorkshire pudding!!!), not to boycott CO. After that I ate dinner in the MDR at at a table for 6 with very pleasant dinner companions. I got very lucky with my table. Not only were my companions lovely, we were in a quiet area. (Upper level, back corner. Good location.)

I tried CO for breakfast the first morning. They put me by myself at a 4-top, then added a couple to the table. They weren't interested in talking, so it was rather odd.  Then I had a few days of early excursions and did room service. When I went back to CO for breakfast, I got a big welcome. So I think they knew I did not like the concept, and they fell all over themselves to make me happy. It's honestly embarrassing to have four different people come to the table and ask me if everything is all right. Or maybe they do that with everyone. But it's OTT. 

I continued to go to CO for breakfast. There are a few extra items, as there are on the NS room service menu. Yes, the mimosas, which are nice (but not worth $50 per day!). But here's where the repurposed demo kitchen works well. They cook some (maybe all?) of the food right there, short-order style. The French toast probably got to my table no more than 30 seconds after it came off the griddle. Waffles were hot, not limp from being pre-made and held as they usually are. So that is one plus I will give them. I don't know how much of the dinner food is cooked there. Probably not all ( CO does back onto the main kitchen). And yes, there is one special each night. The only one I know of is the first night it was "Peruvian chicken." I don't know what that is.

The low chairs are comfortable. The high chairs are too large and I could not sit comfortably in them. The one time I tried a high table, my back instantly said "NO WAY!" and I asked for a low table. To me, a high table is a beer and a burger, not breakfast and not fine dining. I don't like the feeling of eating in the glass box. And I don't like the "look at me" aspect of the glass box.

Which brings me to the other perks of Club Orange. Both the concierge and my cabin stewards said this was something intended to make NS pax "feel special." People knock Cunard for having a "class system," but it's understated. This is designed to be obvious. Club Orange and the Orange Pass (which is what they call the $50 pppd perks) are meant to be visible. One of the perks is a designated line at the front desk. You go to the mat on the floor that says CLUB ORANGE and ORANGE PASS. Look at me! I'm SPECIAL!!!!

When I checked in at the pier, it wasn't busy. I think there were two couples ahead of me. One couple went to the regular line, one couple went to 4-5* Mariner line, and I went to the Neptune Suite line. When I got to the front of my line, I saw a bright orange mat that said CLUB ORANGE and ORANGE PASS. The woman looked at my boarding pass, and took that and my passport and said "Follow me." You all know what the check-in desks look like--a long counter with staff at their computers, ready to check you in. Well, I was Club Orange, so I didn't go to one of those ordinary stations, even though they were right in front of me. No, I walked around the corner, where I was checked in at my very own spot. Club Orange people are sooooo speshul that we don't check in where the ordinary folk do. We have our own little desk. Stupid thing is, it wasn't private or anything special. It was visible to everyone who had already checked in. So why the dog and pony show???? Why does HAL think I'm going to be impressed by this?

And that's what bothers me about the whole CO/OP thing, the showing-off aspect of it. So phony.

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder
  • Like 4

3rdGenCenarder,

Was wondering if you travelled alone?

how was the service in co compared to the main dinning room?

Yes, I traveled alone. CO might have worked for us when my husband was alive. But even then, we liked the idea of a large table and getting to meet new people. I know a lot of people are worried that they will have bad table mates. But I just finished my 50th cruise, and except for about 10 when we were with family and/or friends, we sat at large tables with people not traveling with us. And in all of those cruises, I can remember one unpleasant woman. I think our good experiences with large tables have been because people who sign up for large tables are interested in meeting and engaging with others. But with CO set up all 2's and 4's, the vibe is different. It feels like a couples venue. I didn't want to eat dinner alone or, worse, be tacked onto a couple who didn't want an extra dinner companion. 

If the concierge hadn't been able to move me to the MDR, I'd have complained my way up to the "food chain" until I got moved. When I told the concierge that I wasn't happy about the whole CO thing, she said it was a "special amenity" for suites. She also admitted that it was getting a lot of complaints. 

When I walked by at night, I never saw it more than half full. At breakfast, it was never full, but I think more people opted for CO breakfast than Pinnacle (on our previous cruises). Perhaps word got out about the freshly made French toast and waffles. 

I can't compare service apples-to-apples. I rarely eat breakfast in the MDR because I usually ate in Pinnacle or had room service it we needed to be out early. I didn't have dinner in CO, but given the staff-to-passenger ratio, I expect service would be very good. But we had good service in the MDR. I actually found the service in CO at breakfast to be overly attentive, like they were trying too hard. I don't know if they were fawning over me to change my opinion and get a good review of the whole CO thing because they knew I didn't like it (read the thread about crew rating/knowing about passengers) or if they were fawning over everyone because they knew CO was getting pushback from long-time NS pax and they were trying to save their jobs/venue. 

FWIW, my TA thinks HAL is chasing Celebrity and trying to get closer to their suite amenities.  The problem is that the lines with a designated restaurant for suites had that venue from the start, at least on most of their ships. This is a retrofit--my suite got me the right to eat dinner in America's Test Kitchen. It just doesn't feel like a step up. 

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder

52 minutes ago, CGYCruisingFamily said:

My mom and dad were recently on thE NS and said CO was virtually empty most of the time. At its busiest, the saw maybe 3 tables filled.

Seems like a flop to me...

The funny thing is this could mean it is also a success - an alternative-for those who really want a very quiet dining venue - set apart from what others complain is a noisy main dining room.