One time only Norway

dghp9

I have long wanted to cruise to Norway to see the fjords and hope to realise this dream in 2020. What in your opinion are the must see fjords and ports of call? I can only take a 7 night cruise.  I know this is subjective but I welcome your thoughts.  Many Thanks

Edited by dghp9

Only having just gone and only having been on a 7-day, I can't tell you what might be best for you. We enjoyed our 7 day out of Amsterdam. In hindsight I'd give up the stops we made in Oslo, Kristiansand and Stavanger in favor of more of what we got when we stopped in Flåm. The sail in through Aurlands fjord was beautiful. We've discussed going back. 

Aurlands Fjord - June 2018.jpg

• Like 1

• grsnovi, I hope the weather is as beautiful when I cruise as it can be very unpredictable. I live in Scotland and know about 4 seasons in one kind of days!
  • Did you take a ship's tour to the viewing point?
  • Any other things you would recommend?

Thanks again.

We had gorgeous weather all week. Our cruise had passengers on board from the previous week and they said it rained all that week. Yes, we took the EXC tour in Flåm. We also enjoyed having a coffee in the very pretty little inn right near the dock. I would suggest that you visit the CC discussion forum for Northern Europe/Norway and see what others have enjoyed. As I said, we enjoyed our week: museums in Oslo, a harbor cruise in Kristiansand and a walking tour in Stavanger. There are certainly other more active options.

we were recently (July) on Norway/fjord cruise - our second time.

As we had been to Flam before we opted to go to Stegastein lookout point.. you can oder tickets online and the cost is substantially less than cruiseline excursion.. The bus runs ever hour, starting from 9 AM - The ride up is approx 30 minutes, you stay at the site 30 minutes, and ride back down another 1/2 hour.  you are given earplugs/quiet vox syatem to follow commentary during your ride.. you point your set to numbered areas on the sheet, so you can listen and follow at your own pace and order..  In the beginning, you set it by pointing device to correct language selection on the sheet.. I thought it was extremely well done.

website :  https://www.visitflam.com/activities/stegastein-viewpoint/?referrer=3895

I would not leave this to buying the day of your cruise - they were all sold out on the morning tours - did not ask about afternoon tours.

Alesund is another wonderful port - both for the town itself - or an excursion on the Troll Road. Bergen is another interesting stop, with many alternatives (it was our third time there, and we took the Mostraumen cruise on the fjord, which was stunning.

Carol

Pictures are of  Aurland fjord but looking other direction, with village of Aurland seen below.... the other is the actual Stegastein viewpoint, which is quite an engineering and design marvel.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by CJcruzer
  • Like 2

We have done numerous Norway cruises and I can't honestly say one was better than another - any combination of cities and scenery will work in my opinion.

Now we choose a route that gets us back to some of the best food items we enjoyed on prior cruises - number one was the pickled herring choices in the Goteburg (Sweden!) Fish Kirke. Or the lovely old upstairs Hanseatic restaurant in Bergan.  Norwegian pancakes - cold with raspberry jam is another treat we will seek out.  

Don't worry too much about what you think you might miss, because all of Norway is 100% delightful.  And if the cruise also includes a stop in Goteburg, which is a sleeper of a delightful small city with a fabulous art museum, that would be my choice. 

Edited by OlsSalt

I researched cruises for over a month before I booked my 7 day Norway cruise.  Reviews highly favor Holland America's Norse Legends itinerary over the Viking Saga.  However, Oslo was an absolute must-stop port for us, so I chose that.  I figure that I won't know that I'm not on the better one - it will be great because I'm in Norway, enjoying the fjords and my family for my birthday.

12 hours ago, grsnovi said:

Only having just gone and only having been on a 7-day, I can't tell you what might be best for you. We enjoyed our 7 day out of Amsterdam. In hindsight I'd give up the stops we made in Oslo, Kristiansand and Stavanger in favor of more of what we got when we stopped in Flåm. The sail in through Aurlands fjord was beautiful. We've discussed going back. 

Aurlands Fjord - June 2018.jpg

Beautiful picture!!

11 hours ago, CJcruzer said:

we were recently (July) on Norway/fjord cruise - our second time.

As we had been to Flam before we opted to go to Stegastein lookout point.. you can oder tickets online and the cost is substantially less than cruiseline excursion.. The bus runs ever hour, starting from 9 AM - The ride up is approx 30 minutes, you stay at the site 30 minutes, and ride back down another 1/2 hour.  you are given earplugs/quiet vox syatem to follow commentary during your ride.. you point your set to numbered areas on the sheet, so you can listen and follow at your own pace and order..  In the beginning, you set it by pointing device to correct language selection on the sheet.. I thought it was extremely well done.

website :  https://www.visitflam.com/activities/stegastein-viewpoint/?referrer=3895

I would not leave this to buying the day of your cruise - they were all sold out on the morning tours - did not ask about afternoon tours.

Alesund is another wonderful port - both for the town itself - or an excursion on the Troll Road. Bergen is another interesting stop, with many alternatives (it was our third time there, and we took the Mostraumen cruise on the fjord, which was stunning.

Carol

Pictures are of  Aurland fjord but looking other direction, with village of Aurland seen below.... the other is the actual Stegastein viewpoint, which is quite an engineering and design marvel.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Love your pictures as well.

We did the 7 day Norse Legends on HAL.

We went in May, and spent several days in Amsterdam before the cruise including a day at Keukenhof.  If you don't want to visit the gardens (and they are fantastic), go later in the year, the weather in Norway could be better later.

Our only complaint about the 7 day cruise, was that it was too short.  Next time we'll do a 14 day Norway cruise.

All the fjords are captivating and the towns are picturesque in the extreme.  Bergen, Alesund, Flam are all great.  For us the 'Far North' was the pinnacle of the cruise.  Hammerfest and Honningsvag - the isolation!  Sitting in a bar/cafe imagining what the towns were like in past centuries during the winters.  It was cool enough in June!  

If its a once in a lifetime then please try to stretch to 14 days and get up to the North Cape.

• Thanks 1

We have done  3 cruises to Norway in the past. The best one was sailing the fjord with stops in Eidfjord and Geiranger. In both places sailing into and through the fjord was the best ever!

Geiranger is one of the most awesome places to sail to and from. Donot go early in the season since the best viewpoint at Mt. Dalsnibba might be closed due to snow. 

We booked this tour by small bus to 3 viewpoints and loved it. https://www.geirangerfjord.no/panorama-exclusive-bus

Edited by Ine
  • Like 2

Another vote for Geiranger, which was my favorite during a two week cruise.  Looks like there are some 7 day HAL cruises that go there in 2020.  Ine's advice not to go too early in the season is important if you want to take the Mt. Dalsnibba excursion.  We were there in June, and it was worth the trip for the fabulous views but the month of May might be too early since the road could still be closed then.

Geiranger Fjord.jpg

Mt.jpg

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Ine said:

We have done  3 cruises to Norway in the past. The best one was sailing the fjord with stops in Eidfjord and Geiranger. In both places sailing into and through the fjord was the best ever!

Geiranger is one of the most awesome places to sail to and from. Donot go early in the season since the best viewpoint at Mt. Dalsnibba might be closed due to snow. 

We booked this tour by small bus to 3 viewpoints and loved it. https://www.geirangerfjord.no/panorama-exclusive-bus

Surprised that noone else suggested Geiranger.  One of our favorite stops

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

EM

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ine said:

Geiranger is one of the most awesome places to sail to and from.

So far my favorite was sailing of of Stockholm in 2009 on our Baltic cruise on Eurodam.

When we go back to Norway I'm going to want to do a longer cruise and get farther north. I'm still working 40 hours a week so breaking my available vacation into chunks is always a strategic operation. 

Great photos of this awesome place!

Just a few of our so many photos. The first 2 of the falls outside of Eidsjord and another one of Geiranger.

IMG_1369.JPG

IMG_1394.JPG

IMG_1711.JPG

• Like 1