When will we know Anthem's replacement in NJ?

JAMESCC

So when do you think RCI will let us know what will replace Anthem here in NJ? I only sail from NJ/NY but 99% from NJ because I am a RCI fan so the news of us losing Anthem is a bit concerning. Any idea when we will know? Any guesses as to what ship it will be? It won't be an Oasis ship we know that, Oasis can't dock in Bermuda. I'm dying to know what ship it will be?

5 hours ago, Saab4444 said:

I believe it has already been investigated that Anthem leaves only for Europe during the summer season and comes back for the winter season and that Adventure stays in NJ during summer.

I'm not sure I love that. Would rather have a new ship like Anthem all year. I do want to sail Adventure though, we LOVED Explorer. We LOVE Anthem though a lot too.

5 hours ago, Saab4444 said:

I believe it has already been investigated that Anthem leaves only for Europe during the summer season and comes back for the winter season and that Adventure stays in NJ during summer.

In 2019 Adventure is sailing from Bayonne in addition to Anthem.  While Adventure could very well be returning in 2020 there is also a strong possibility that there could be another ship coming to Bayonne in 2020 to replace Anthem.

Edited by Ourusualbeach

Had sailed on the Quantum and it was a real disappointment, compared to the Oasis class ships- so not interested in the Anthem .  The freedom class ships are also very nice.  Tried the Adventure this summer- and also found it not great- compared to the celebrity summit.  If you sail suite class on the Adventure- they didn't offer any real perks-  The suite lounge isn't a nice space- no real bar- they have a bar cart during cocktail hour. No special suite restaurant.

While they have a few chairs by the pool for suite guests- they are all in the sun-so for anybody not interested in skin Cancer- not a great option.  The ship might work for those who aren't in suites or those with young kids.

Until another class of ship comes along- we will stick to Celebrity when we want a no fly ship.

Edited by Cruise a holic

1 hour ago, Cruise a holic said:

Had sailed on the Quantum and it was a real disappointment, compared to the Oasis class ships- so not interested in the Anthem .  The freedom class ships are also very nice.  Tried the Adventure this summer- and also found it not great- compared to the celebrity summit.  If you sail suite class on the Adventure- they didn't offer any real perks-  The suite lounge isn't a nice space- no real bar- they have a bar cart during cocktail hour. No special suite restaurant.

While they have a few chairs by the pool for suite guests- they are all in the sun-so for anybody not interested in skin Cancer- not a great option.  The ship might work for those who aren't in suites or those with young kids.

Until another class of ship comes along- we will stick to Celebrity when we want a no fly ship.

Since we are talking about sailing from Bayonne, you'd rather sail on the Summit rather than a Q  or  Voyager classes.:classic_dry:

That's my biggest frustration with Bayonne: weather.   I love the fact that we can drive there rather than fly, but the Adventure doesn't have an indoor solarium/pool area, so the pool deck is mostly useless for us in colder months.   You spend two days sailing just to get down to reasonably warm weather in the winter months.

Anthem is another story with it's indoor solarium.

Dan

5 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Might have something to do with the time of year they want to sail. Bayonne doesn't always have crappie weather. 

Forget the weather, there's no comparison between the Celebrity Summit and Q and /or Voyager classes.

Edited by nelblu

1 hour ago, The Fun Researcher said:

That's my biggest frustration with Bayonne: weather.   I love the fact that we can drive there rather than fly, but the Adventure doesn't have an indoor solarium/pool area, so the pool deck is mostly useless for us in colder months.   You spend two days sailing just to get down to reasonably warm weather in the winter months.

Anthem is another story with it's indoor solarium.

Dan

I agree, we need an Anthem style ship for the 6 months (October-March) where the weather is colder.  Having sailed on Voyager, Explorer, and Liberty out of Port Liberty, none of these are suited for January and February.  Anthem, and the short lived Quantum are better suited to Port Liberty.

What is with all the hate for Anthem, I simply do not get it? The ship is huge, its beautiful, it has a ton of things to do and places to eat. For the life of me I do not get it. I LOVED Anthem. I love mega ships with tons of things to do. I loved the Esplanade. The food was excellent everywhere we ate. I'm at a loss for the hate this ship gets.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Cruise a holic said:

Interesting. I sailed on Summit this summer and Anthem last fall. Not even a comparison for me.

Summit was boring, stuff wound down way to early, the ship was extremely dated, and the entertainment was severely lacking. I was never bored on Anthem and the entertainment was easily the best I've had on a ship. 

• Like 1

I guess it depends on your idea of a vacation and your age-  IMO for the over 50 crowd the Celebrity ships, including  the Summit work great- as do the Oasis Class ships.  I do not use many of the features on the Quantum. We found the design of the promenade to be choppy and during the parades very crowded.   Really enjoy the entertainment on the Oasis class ships- IMO more variety and better then the Quantum.  

But that is what makes the world go round- Enjoy your cruise.  If you haven't tried the Harmony, Symphony, Oasis or Allure- give them a try- I think they are the best ships for a multi aged family!.

Edited by Cruise a holic

I'm wondering if it's just not worth it for them to continue offering 2 ships out of Bayonne in the summer. Don't forget, this was new for 2018 (I think Vision did a few sailings towards the fall of 2017). 

Sure, it'll be a loss for the summer if they only offer Adventure, especially with her not being "amped" yet. But they will most certainly continue offering the 5/9 route and abandon the 7-night Bahamas runs. Baltimore is close enough if you want to do that on Grandeur. 

They will also be up against the Norwegian Encore for Bermuda sailings. It would be smart to have a newer ship there or an amped ship, so we'll see! Very interested to see what they do here. 

I enjoy sailing Anthem in March (my usual "winter" vacation).  I'll definitely miss her if she's not there and would hope that she's replaced with a comparable (Quantum).  I'd prefer not to fly in March as I do in September to go on Allure; however, if it's just Adventure, I'll be flying both weeks I can take a break.  I'm already getting myself used to the idea of it (not earth-shattering and certainly a first-world problem - just my preference to not fly in the month of March).  And I really like Anthem (I'm totally hooked on iFly).

29 minutes ago, cot427 said:

I'm wondering if it's just not worth it for them to continue offering 2 ships out of Bayonne in the summer. Don't forget, this was new for 2018 (I think Vision did a few sailings towards the fall of 2017). 

Well by having only one ship over the peak summer season it will most likely drive up the price. It may result in passengers booking other lines for a better price. When it comes down to a family vacation there really isn't much difference between Carnival, NCL and Royal Caribbean. 

1 hour ago, MagicMike said:

There is a new Quantum class ship coming in 2020, perhaps to Cape Liberty

I would hope that Royal will do the same thing they did when Quantum was due in Bayonne. Fill in from when Anthem leaves until I believe it is Pulse of the Seas (Quantum 5) home ports in NJ. Remember I believe Explorer left Bayonne and Liberty filled in until Quantum came here.

On 11/5/2018 at 6:05 AM, Cruise a holic said:

I'll give you the suite class on Celebrity but without it I'd be bored out of my mind on Summit. We just got off Equinox in a suite and while it was great, I never realized how much I enjoyed Royal's pub and piano bar. Don't get me wrong, we like Celebrity as much as Royal but their ships differ greatly. If I wasn't sailing in a suite I don't think I'd be sailing Celebrity as much.

21 hours ago, Cruise a holic said:

We found the design of the promenade to be choppy and during the parades very crowded.   

I guess you haven't attended the character's parades or the Captain's receptionists--talk about massive crowds at the Promenade.