Regent adds casual, Pool Grill dinner, pre-voyage on-board credit access

captjohn

Looks like some of the rumors are starting to come true, although I had not heard anything about the Pool Grill.

http://www.seatrade-cruise.com/news/news-headlines/regent-adds-casual-pool-grill-dinner-pre-voyage-on-board-credit-access.html

Due to the cold and rainy weather it was only open for the last two nights of my cruise which ended this past Sunday. Folks seemed to really enjoy the casual atmosphere. Check out my Fall Foliage thread for pics towards the end of the thread. 

Z and TB

We had dinner at the new Mariner pool grill about once every ten days during our five+week South Pacific cruise that

ended last Wednesday in Papeete, French Polynesia.

Guests we met on board, like us, relished this alfresco "relaxed casual" dining option after a long excursion or in one case when we returned from our Raiatea, French Polynesia excursion after 6 pm.  The Mariner Restaurant Manager told me when the weather was nice, the pool grill seated about 20-30 guests.  During our three visits there were about 15-20 guests dining alfresco.

Pictured below are the menu offerings and a few food/drink photos too:

7DE31965-7235-4BE2-BE9E-2F0E683403E7.jpeg

58FB0477-778C-4329-BD14-0D9E3078B2F4.jpeg

E5DCE8AF-BDCB-4A9A-9851-5AB4AF582633.jpeg

E2F1DD24-FF37-4C6E-8B2D-5C30680F4C20.jpeg

C12D18A6-198E-4B04-BC1E-07FFEC9D6A3E.jpeg

Wes, the menu is to our liking and thank you for posting it.  We are not heavy meat eaters but saw so many healthy options.  Plenty of choices for sure and the casual atmosphere and casual dress.

Edited by MalbecWine
  • Like 1

One can dine in La Veranda at night when they have theme buffets and Sette Mari when their palette leans more to Italian food.  This is not course by course (unless you want it to be in Sette Mari) and there is outside dining.  It seems that only the dress code different.  

Malbec Wine, ronrick1943; you're very welcome.  

On our longer Mariner South Pacific voyage,  we (especially Ida--not having to do her hair) relished having a relaxed casual dining option as a change of pace.  In particular, this  new dining option was coveted by us/others,  after experiencing an exhausting excursion/long day ashore.   We did observe in the evening when the outside pool area temperature was cold (e.g. during our eight consecutive sea days from Acapulco to Hilo, Hawaii)  few Regent guests were dining there.

Moreover, the Pool Grill evening dining venue, is now our preferred venue to have a light/early dinner, if we are disembarking a day early and flying out later that evening.  For example, we disembarked in Buenos Aires a day early in February on the Mariner. We disembarked (Papeete) last Wednesday early evening  vs. leaving Thursday morning (regularly scheduled disembarkation)

Lastly, on Regent,  we have enjoyed one or two nights per 30+day voyages enjoying Champers or Aperol Spritz's in the Jacuzzi at Sunset.  Until this summer when, Regent introduced the Alfresco dining concept after 6 pm (including having the pool bar remain open),  enjoying a jacuzzi soak (post 6pm) meant, we had to lug (using pool grill plastic glasses) our own champagne or aperol spritz's to the jacuzzi.  Now, the Pool Bar drink steward or stewardess can refresh drinks for those Regent guests enjoying a early evening soak in the jacuzzi.

30 minutes ago, tripperva said:

We enjoyed dining at the pool grill, especially the lamb chops. The grill offers a really nice alternative to more structured dining.

While I sort of “get it”, if you want to go to the, a lounge or anywhere inside the ship (except for your suite) you need to follow the dress code. So, unless you are foregoing nighttime actiities, you still have to dress according to the dress code.  Glad to hear that some people enjoy it occasionally.  I suppose it is just not our thing.  

P.S. We love rack of lamb in Chartreuse but find the lamb chops from the pool grill just “okay” but acknowledge that taste is subjective. 

27 minutes ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

All this talk of food is making me hungry, and jealous!  

So remind me, which restaurant on either Voyager or Mariner does the wonderful Dover Sole, where they filet it at the table?

Interestingly, I was asked this question on my blog.  It served in CR, P7 and Chartreuse.  Dennis had it in P7 on this cruise and it was wonderful.  I had it in CR and it was also great.  I suspect that P7 has the best but not really sure.  They filleted it at the table in both dining venues (except last. night when the Staff Captain filleted his own...... very skilled but not as fast as our server.😁

The TS (Thread Starter) also wants to discuss pre-cruise access to OBC's.  This is a biggie and much appreciated since we tend to take Regent Choice excursions.  Our current cruises did not have that option but I believe that you simply book your excursions as normal and the OBC's are taken out when you board the ship.  If I am mistaken, perhaps someone else will chime in.  

5 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

While I sort of “get it”, if you want to go to the, a lounge or anywhere inside the ship (except for your suite) you need to follow the dress code. So, unless you are foregoing nighttime actiities, you still have to dress according to the dress code.  Glad to hear that some people enjoy it occasionally.  I suppose it is just not our thing.  

P.S. We love rack of lamb in Chartreuse but find the lamb chops from the pool grill just “okay” but acknowledge that taste is subjective. 

I'm sure I will be corrected on this, but I don't see how the addition/opening of the evening pool grill and poolside bar, in order to provide additional choices to passengers for evening venues on Regent, in any way would have a negative impact on any other passenger on the ship?  If some passengers don't choose to avail themselves of those additional options for any number of various personal reasons,  then they simply don''t have to use them.  If the pool bar stays open into the evening hours, I might at times just decide to stay there, weather permitting, before retiring directly to my suite.   

3 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

The TS (Thread Starter) also wants to discuss pre-cruise access to OBC's.  This is a biggie and much appreciated since we tend to take Regent Choice excursions.  Our current cruises did not have that option but I believe that you simply book your excursions as normal and the OBC's are taken out when you board the ship.  If I am mistaken, perhaps someone else will chime in.  

Actually, when you book the excursion (or culinary arts class) it's automatically deducted from your OBC.

Edited by cAPS lOCK oN

30 minutes ago, cAPS lOCK oN said:

Actually, when you book the excursion (or culinary arts class) it's automatically deducted from your OBC.

I didn't realize that.  In fact, we added a culinary class on Explorer for February, 2019 and had to pay with a credit card.  I believe (but do not know as a fact) that Regent is changing their policy and this affects some but not all cruises.

I enjoyed the Cordon Bleu class on the Voyager many years ago and we did pay for it but it was so much fun.  It was held where Lattiudes was.  I thought I knew what I was doing BUT making a soufflé was not my forte and had flour all over myself.  We were all laughing and we  just wanted some wine to get through it.  You were able to invite your guests to taste your creations.  I felt like I was on the Food Network.  We had a graduation party after completing the course and I was voted the best dishwasher.

3 hours ago, MalbecWine said:

I enjoyed the Cordon Bleu class on the Voyager many years ago and we did pay for it but it was so much fun.  It was held where Lattiudes was.  I thought I knew what I was doing BUT making a soufflé was not my forte and had flour all over myself.  We were all laughing and we  just wanted some wine to get through it.  You were able to invite your guests to taste your creations.  I felt like I was on the Food Network.  We had a graduation party after completing the course and I was voted the best dishwasher.

I loved those classes too, we did two of them on Voyager.

Loved the Le Cordon Bleu class that we took  (so many years ago - on Voyager).  On the other hand, the culinary classes on Oceania and Explorer are amazing. Explorer has individual work stations - just like on Food Network.  MalbecWine — you may want to sign up for a class for your Explorer cruise — once they are available they sell out very quickly.

pingpong1- I have no problem with people that want to dine by the pool at night. As I posted, I just don’t get it unless you return to the ship from a late excursion, want to grab a bite and go back to your suite for the evening.  It likely does not hurt anyone to have this onboard except perhaps that it is taking a few crew members away from working in the other diining venues.  It is up to Regent to decide if providing the food and manpower for 15-20 guests is worth it

14 hours ago, cAPS lOCK oN said:

14 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

I didn't realize that.  In fact, we added a culinary class on Explorer for February, 2019 and had to pay with a credit card.  I believe (but do not know as a fact) that Regent is changing their policy and this affects some but not all cruises.

I understand that this new arrangement with OBC applies to all cruises from May 01, 2019 onwards.

A very useful enhancement from Regent 👍

We used Pool grill. twice.  We were dressed so we could go anywhere on ship...not hard to do...but we were tired of the other venues and didn’t want much to eat.  I’m hoping it will be warm enough next May on our TA for it to be open more nights.  It would be even nicer when light later.

3 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

pingpong1- I have no problem with people that want to dine by the pool at night. As I posted, I just don’t get it unless you return to the ship from a late excursion, want to grab a bite and go back to your suite for the evening.  It likely does not hurt anyone to have this onboard except perhaps that it is taking a few crew members away from working in the other diining venues.  It is up to Regent to decide if providing the food and manpower for 15-20 guests is worth it

Sounds a bit like damning with faint praise.  Here's why I think this venue would be great on a long cruise, especially with sea days: sometimes you just want to be yourself, and act like you're in the normal world.  That doesn't mean you won't wear something appropriate for the (very relaxed) dress code.  But there are times when you just want to walk outside and grill a burger and have a beer.  The nice buffet that goes with it is a bonus. Without all the hoopla of "dining".  No reason that one should be "confined" to one's cabin if you feel like that, and the weather cooperates.  On Seabourn this September people were bundled up at the pool patio, despite cold weather.  They had heaters and people were provided with blankets.  Not sure Regent needs to go that far.

9 hours ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

Sounds a bit like damning with faint praise.  Here's why I think this venue would be great on a long cruise, especially with sea days: sometimes you just want to be yourself, and act like you're in the normal world.  That doesn't mean you won't wear something appropriate for the (very relaxed) dress code.  But there are times when you just want to walk outside and grill a burger and have a beer.  The nice buffet that goes with it is a bonus. Without all the hoopla of "dining".  No reason that one should be "confined" to one's cabin if you feel like that, and the weather cooperates.  On Seabourn this September people were bundled up at the pool patio, despite cold weather.  They had heaters and people were provided with blankets.  Not sure Regent needs to go that far.

I most definitely did not post anything that should be construed as”damning with faint praise”.  My only concern is taking crew members that may be needed in CR,. P7, Pacific Rim or Chartreuse and having them serve 15-30 passengers (number based on prior posts).  While this may be an easy job for crew members on the pool deck, the rest of the bar/serving crew members are trying to serve 470 - 700 guests in other dining venues.