Delux Drink Package - Watch out - Deceptive Not a sale !

TTraub1250

3 minutes ago, gottogocruisin said:

This is only her 2nd cruise so I am sure she does not qualify, but thanks for telling me. I will, as Biker19 suggested, call when the price is down lower. The last cruise my husband and I took, the price came down until 3 weeks prior to boarding. We didn't need it but I was watching it to know how to book this one.

If you had defined them as related to you in the C&A system before they were 18, they are eligible for your status and would be D or D+ like you.  If you define them in the C&A system after they are 18 they do not.  They are on their own.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, twangster said:

If you had defined them as related to you in the C&A system before they were 18, they are eligible for your status and would be D or D+ like you.  If you define them in the C&A system after they are 18 they do not.  They are on their own.  

She is on her own then. My bad I guess. Isn't hindsight wonderful? Thanks

1 hour ago, twangster said:

I don't disagree with you.  As my papa always said, "you don't have to drink to have a good time".

Fortunately I now get a D+ onboard discount and I can wait a day or two to buy the package onboard saving hundreds and avoiding drink fatigue later in the cruise..  

What is this "drink fatigue" you speak of?

Just kidding, usually for me I take a day or two off from drinking mid-cruise before resuming the party. And by "day-off", I mean only drinking during dinner.

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, Froggy1369 said:

So the bottom line. Is $944 for deluxe beverage package on the 8 night cruise Anthem in January the best I will probably see? 

That's the final total for two, including the 18% gratuity. So the  sale price is $50 pp/pd, right?  That's about the threshold of what's generally considered a good price.

For Anthem, I think that's a decent price. Book it and check back occasionally. If you see a lower price, cancel & repurchase.

14 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

That's the final total for two, including the 18% gratuity. So the  sale price is $50 pp/pd, right?  That's about the threshold of what's generally considered a good price.

For Anthem, I think that's a decent price. Book it and check back occasionally. If you see a lower price, cancel & repurchase.

Yep 50pp/pd. I was looking at the number and having sticker shock. Mainly because I was thinking about the Carnival I canceled to book this. Then I realized tat was only a 5 day and this is actually cheaper! 

1 hour ago, twangster said:

For many items there is no standard price. Voom, dining packages, drink packages. 

RCI has managed to not screw with VOOM, too much, yet. Other than very few exceptions, it's fairly standard across the fleet on board pricing of $16/day Surf and $20/day Stream along with $23 and $28 for 24 hr packages. And the planner sales, when RCI can do the math, have been off those prices.

Edited by Biker19

3 hours ago, twangster said:

Right there with you.  Learned this the hard way.

Hoping my post helps others, then, even if was too late for you guys! 

Create C&A accounts for your kids, friends, they WILL get your status when they start cruising on their own!

4 hours ago, Froggy1369 said:

So the bottom line. Is $944 for deluxe beverage package on the 8 night cruise Anthem in January the best I will probably see? 

Unpredictable, but it doesn't matter.  Just cancel and reorder if you see a better price.

• Like 1

The Ultimate Dining Package for my New Years cruise showed up in the cruise planner for the very first time two days ago at a price of $192 (I check it daily).  I looked today for a Black Friday sale and low and behold the BOGO price is $192 per person with the BOGO adjustment.  Royal must really think we are idiots.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, RadioPeri said:

gottogocruisin, I'm not sure this is still the case or applies in your situation, but we were told our kids would have our status (Diamond), even though we've cruised far more often than they have. And sure enough, that is the case. We were on the Harmony earlier this year and my son, who hasn't cruised in quite a while and would never have reached that status on his own, was indeed Diamond. He was in a separate cabin, so didn't have to buy the drink package, but he got all the Diamond perks, including access to the Diamond Lounge and his three free drinks per evening on his card. 

You must have gotten your son a C&A account before he turned 18, hence he inherited your status. Had you not done that, no way he would be Diamond now unless he had enough points. 

9 hours ago, TTraub1250 said:

It has been $52/person/day for many weeks and today it is advertised as BO get 50% off.  When you put it in your cart it comes out at $52/day/person, so there is no real sale. This is deceptive advertising to me and Royal Caribbean must have hired people from the airline industry, who have less integrity,  and are dragging down the "brand".  Oct 2018 paid $39/person/day on this same ship.... Anthem of the Seas.  

Screenshot (277).png

It was $56 pp per day for me. Needless to say, I cancelled the order and re-ordered under the current sale. Definitely a sale for us.

11 hours ago, TTraub1250 said:

Truth in advertising laws.  Why, because companies like to be deceptive. Should you have to know to click on the "*" to get the rest of the discount or no discount information ?  No !  Why not act with "integrity" and be very clear on what is being charged $ and improve your "brand management" !   I have a tendency to spend more money with companies with integrity, do socially responsible acts, and have high levels in their customer relationships.  The employees are rated on customer service relationships, why shouldn't the marketing/pricing department be also rated on their integrity and transparency ?   As a stock holder I know it takes 10X the work to get a new customer vs keeping current customers.  Thus as an owner of the company, I want too keep every customer we already have, and not throw deceptive advertising pricing at them. 

Just because you dont understand something doesn't make it untruthful -

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, DCRedRaider02 said:

I noticed that there’s a $120 service charge for the drink package. Does this mean that tipping is not expected from the bar tenders when getting a drink? If not, what’s the purpose of the charge?

You are correct the $120 service charge is the "tip".  Some people may throw a dollar in every so often, but don't feel obligated to do the same.

20 hours ago, MizDaisy said:

One very quick (I hope) question....first time cruising on Royal Caribbean, and it's a bit different than what I'm used to...if I buy the drink package, do I pay for it online, or will it be charged to my onboard account once I get there? Thanks in advance.

If you purchase it online pre-cruise, you immediately pay for it at that time.  If you wait to purchase on-board ship it will be charged to your onboard account

Edited by gatour

I'm amazed that people are shocked.    Been this way, not just on RCL, for as long as I've been cruising.

Keep an eye out on prices.  If they aren't selling enough packages, the price will fall just before cruising.   We're paying $49pp/pd (plus 18% gratuity) for our Feb cruise on Allure.  May get lucky, and see $5 before sailing, but not holding my breath.   ~$50 is our breakeven point.   Higher than that we'd just get a refreshment pkg and hope for a day three drink card being available.

3 hours ago, zdad59 said:

Higher than that we'd just get a refreshment pkg and hope for a day three drink card being available.

Just in case a newbie is confused by this, it's a 10 drink card, there's no such thing as a three day drink card.

Biker, who foresees mod "intervention" given the recent posts.

Edited by Biker19
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Just in case a newbie is confused by this, it's a 10 drink card, there's no such thing as a three day drink card.

Biker, who foresees mod "intervention" given the recent posts.

Yes   10 drink card.    My wording was poor.    In my experience you usually don't see these advertised on board until day 3 of a 7 night cruise.   Sorry for the confusion.

On 11/23/2018 at 9:37 AM, RadioPeri said:

gottogocruisin, I'm not sure this is still the case or applies in your situation, but we were told our kids would have our status (Diamond), even though we've cruised far more often than they have. And sure enough, that is the case. We were on the Harmony earlier this year and my son, who hasn't cruised in quite a while and would never have reached that status on his own, was indeed Diamond. He was in a separate cabin, so didn't have to buy the drink package, but he got all the Diamond perks, including access to the Diamond Lounge and his three free drinks per evening on his card. 

They get whatever status you had when they turned 18.  So we have one daughter that is Diamond with us, and one that is not.  We reached Diamond status AFTER the older turned 18.   I tried to talk my husband into taking an extra cruise before her birthday, but he didn't agree 😄  They both had sailed before, and had their own C&A numbers - not sure if that aspect is necessary.  

On 11/23/2018 at 10:50 AM, Husky1987 said:

Stop making sense. You’re messing with the CC keyboard lawyers who always complain about “fraud”, “deception”, and the biggie - “bait and switch”.

I agree. This is indeed shocking. We should expect RCI to act like other US businesses that are honest and straightforward with their pricing, Good examples are  autos, airlines, hotels, just to name a few. 

What matters is is the price paid. The % discount is a meaningless number that retailers use (and manipulate) to make people think they’re  getting a great deal. It’s like fools gold. 

On 11/23/2018 at 10:07 AM, DCRedRaider02 said:

I noticed that there’s a $120 service charge for the drink package. Does this mean that tipping is not expected from the bar tenders when getting a drink? If not, what’s the purpose of the charge?

Correct, tipping is not expected... though, I will often tip a buck in the Solarium, to the roaming drink guys, so that they give me frequent & speedy service 🙂

• Like 1

On 11/23/2018 at 1:03 PM, Froggy1369 said:

For January, 2019 Anthem cruise this package was $887 ($47 per person per day plus 18%) few weeks ago. I asked same question on corresponding Rall Call and was told it was $45 per person per day plus 18% during the summer months, then it went up.