Just off Seaside/MSC Not Ready To Compete In North American Market

JDGGG

I understand if people did not like a cruise, or food, or bar service. What I don't understand why your own taste should be applied to all country or market? Just because some one like oversize food portion, or Pizza covered with grease,or hate Opera, it does not mean cruise line not ready for American market. We are not all the same in North America . 

• Like 3

MSC have been in the US market since 2006, And every year untill 2012 during the European winter. In 2013 they decided to base Divina there and to try to make inroads into the US market by moving to Miami from Fort Lauderdale and then basing Seaside there.

41 minutes ago, mnocket said:

Every business has to decide who is their target customer.  Yes MSC has decided to enter the US market, but who is their target customer?  From what I've read (my first MSC cruise is in YC next Sept), it seems that MSC is targeting US cruisers  who are looking for something different, i.e. not the typical US cruise line.  So why all of the arguing here? I'm guessing it's because the OP was overly general when stating that MSC was not ready for the N. American market.  Perhaps a more accurate title would have been - "MSC is not ready for N. American pax expecting a typical N. American experience, but that's not what their trying to offer".

All of the arguing here seems to me to be off base.  There's nothing wrong with a US cruiser who is seeking a cruise line that caters to US tastes.  There is something wrong with such a cruiser booking a MSC cruise - it's not that that the cruiser is wrong or MSC is wrong, it's just that it's not a good fit.  I think this is the point the OP was trying to make, but the overly generalized title got in the way.

I have asked this question many times and still have not had a clear response.

' MSC is targeting US cruisers  who are looking for something different, i.e. not the typical US cruise line.'

Been on MSC since 2006 and have cruised MSC 5 times, 3 different ships in the past 20 months. What is so different about MSC compare to the Typical US Cruise line?

Other than the food which is (not European) just less seafood, bland and never hot, what is different??

Their ships are beautiful, excellent entertainment, prices very reasonable (or they were) and we enjoy MSC.

So, what is so different??

• Like 1

The 

48 minutes ago, asctony said:

' MSC is targeting US cruisers  who are looking for something different, i.e. not the typical US cruise line.'

Been on MSC since 2006 and have cruised MSC 5 times, 3 different ships in the past 20 months. What is so different about MSC compare to the Typical US Cruise line?

Other than the food which is (not European) just less seafood, bland and never hot, what is different??

Their ships are beautiful, excellent entertainment, prices very reasonable (or they were) and we enjoy MSC.

The entertainment is very different.  US does big number "production shows", MSC is more of a revue, with cirque du soleil mixed in.  US has more comedy and similar shows; with multiple languages on board, MSC puts on less of that.  

I would say the food is more similar than different, with more pasta and charcuterie on MSC. MSC food temp has been just fine in my experience.  

Some find the staff a little more reserved, less "friendly"; I might say the staff is more professional.  I have always found them pleasant and willing to serve.  

US guests are used to better "manners" relative to getting in line/not cutting in, letting people on/off elevators - that is not an MSC difference but rather a pax mix difference.

MSC guests also consider chair saving a divine right.  This takes some getting used to for US pax where a small perscentage are chair hogs, but most respect the rules.

49 minutes ago, TrinaLC said:

Some find the staff a little more reserved, less "friendly"; I might say the staff is more professional.  I have always found them pleasant and willing to serve.  

US guests are used to better "manners" relative to getting in line/not cutting in, letting people on/off elevators - that is not an MSC difference but rather a pax mix difference.

MSC guests also consider chair saving a divine right.  This takes some getting used to for US pax where a small perscentage are chair hogs, but most respect the rules.

Some of the crew members on the Divina last year were mindreaders. Even before we would ask for something we got it. When we had to ask for something, they were always more than willing to help. I found them professional. 

I have seen chair saving on Disney as well. Their dinners usually took forever, also. Our 8:15 p.m. seating usually went until almost 10 p.m. There were times when we had to ask 3 times for water refill in the MDR. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TrinaLC said:

The 

The entertainment is very different.  US does big number "production shows", MSC is more of a revue, with cirque du soleil mixed in.  US has more comedy and similar shows; with multiple languages on board, MSC puts on less of that.  

I would say the food is more similar than different, with more pasta and charcuterie on MSC. MSC food temp has been just fine in my experience.  

Yes, the entertainment is different. Never seen in recent years on any other cruise line the costumes like they have on MSC. The variety during one show. So, I believe MSC is great in this aspect.

Food is more similar than different? How many times have you cruised on MSC and what other cruise lines have you cruised on? Many people complain about the quality and temp of the food on MSC. That needs real improvement.

Staff more professional? Opinions are opinions. I find the staff less professional as many of the staff on MSC may be professionals, but have difficulties handling situations in a professional manner.

MSC guests should not consider chair saving a divine right regardless of where they come from. We saw 4 lounges saved for over 5 hours. This was addressed with 2 staff members and we were told they could not do anything about that. That is an MSC issue, not a guest issue.

JMHO!

23 hours ago, asctony said:

The following is from a post elsewhere on the MSC forum........

Here is something written by another Cruise Critic member some time ago. I would give credit if I knew who it was. Anyway, I think they did a good job of pointing out some differences.

I think I've finally figured out how to partially explain some of the MSC difference.

All of the crew/workers are trained by Europeans--and in a way that appeals more to European passengers (since overall, the majority of MSC pax ARE European).

Europeans are generally quieter and more reserved than Americans, so there are very few announcements over the loud speakers. MSC workers are trained to ALSO be quiet and reserved, and specifically NOT to be too friendly. For example, Europeans don't want their waiters/stewards to get too personal/act like they are long-time friends.

And, Europeans eat ONLY at meal times, and usually at the same times every day (thus the "stricter" times for food availability--especially on cruises sailing in Europe). I think that they also like to eat much more leisurely, so dinners can take even up to several hours. And Europeans aren't accustomed to lots of salt and spices and seasoning on their food, so some of the MSC food won't seem tasty enough

Also Europeans don't need/aren't used to tons and tons of different activity choices, so MSC doesn't offer as many as the American lines do. They DO still have fun things going on at every hour--but maybe just 1 or 2 choices at any given time.

Another big difference is that Europeans aren't in the habit of apologizing for things that aren't their (personal) fault, so the workers aren't going to seem very good at being reassuring and understanding. They will maybe actually seem uncaring or rude, but I don't think they mean to be--they are just communicating in different ways than Americans are used to.

I also think that most European countries don't use the concept of "the customer is always right". MSC workers ARE usually very good about fixing/changing things IF they can. But for things that are just impossible (requesting a cabin change if there are no extra cabins left, or requesting a dining time that is completely full, etc), they can come off as blunt or rude, and not very understanding. To be fair, this style is not unique to MSC nor to Italians, though. I've heard the same thing when in northern Europe. If a customer service person just can't help you for some reason, then they just say so and expect you to leave. They won't spend any time commiserating with you or trying to think up alternate ideas that may work, or anything like this. It's just, "Sorry, can't help you. Next person please."

Now these are just generalities that I've finally deduced after some travel and reading and thought, but maybe they aren't exactly right, so any Europeans out there--feel free to clarify anything I've mistaken.

So for Americans, one big thing is that many of the MSC workers won't be as "smiley" and outgoing, as are the crew on NCL and CCL (who are trained to be very smiley). As for the Italian workers specifically--I also think that they are somewhat self-conscious about their English pronunciation, and so they aren't always excited to speak in English. So if you speak even a little Italian, don't be shy.

These things can make it seem that the workers are standoffish or even conceited. And it can make the overall atmosphere on MSC feel unfriendly, or like something just isn't quite right. But that's just a first impression, though. The workers are trained to stay professional at the start (in the European way), but if you start conversations, it lets them know they can be more friendly and talkative around you. This is what Cam and some others have done, and it makes for a completely different experience.

Anyway, the best advice is to not worry too much about things ahead of time, but just go in with a positive attitude. Things may sometimes seem disorganized or worse, but they do eventually get almost everything worked out well in the end.

And talk to the crew! That's the best way to realize they really don't mean to be rude. Besides, they are really interesting and fun people. I learned a lot from some of them. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, mnocket said:

The following is from a post elsewhere on the MSC forum........

Here is something written by another Cruise Critic member some time ago. I would give credit if I knew who it was. Anyway, I think they did a good job of pointing out some differences.

Thanks, I read it. Good points. Still don't see much of a difference between MSC and the others. JMHO!

On 11/26/2018 at 9:24 PM, TrinaLC said:

I always smile when I see this opinion here on CruiseCritic. After 7-8 cruises with Royal, 2 with Celebrity, 1 with NCL and 1 with MSC, 2 of these in the Caribbean, 1 from Singapore, and the rest in Europe, my impression is that those "manners" is rather equal for both US guests and (Western) Europeans... 

• Like 1

On 11/25/2018 at 6:37 PM, Zuki said:

JDGGG

My husband read your review and said "this guy had the same experience we did".  You get flamed on here for not liking a cruise, it seems.  We found the food horrible and boring.  The ship a mish mash although very beautiful.  No quiet place for adults to use the pool.  the Jungle pool filled with kids and the rear adult pool filled with smokers.  the pool guards and their incessant whistles was ridiculous.    

We found the Piazza, which is usually the heart of the ship, dull and boring.  Nothing seemed to ever be going on here.  The one night they had a guitar player who put everyone to sleep.  

Bar service non existent.  

But coffee and chocolate to die for.  I wish the NCL, Princess and Celebrity had such great coffee. Not that fake stuff.

MSC is definitely not the product for us.

Spot on.

On 11/27/2018 at 3:56 PM, RealNorwegianCruiser said:

I always smile when I see this opinion here on CruiseCritic. After 7-8 cruises with Royal, 2 with Celebrity, 1 with NCL and 1 with MSC, 2 of these in the Caribbean, 1 from Singapore, and the rest in Europe, my impression is that those "manners" is rather equal for both US guests and (Western) Europeans... 

Smile away. I have been cruising since 1964, and have lived in France, Switzerland, Germany, Peru and travelled all over the world.  I think I am as equipped to make this observation as anyone. There are cultural differences, no shame or surprise there.  Americans and British queue. Many other cultures do not. (Ever been to China?!)

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, TrinaLC said:

Americans and British queue. Many other cultures do not. (Ever been to China?!)

I had always believed that Americans stood in a line, rather than a queue! Agree entirely about the other cultures.

I know this is a stupid question, however here goes, why is people hung up about the "FACT" that only Americans think that MSC is only trying to capture North America clients/ market. Ok I get that they sail from Miami, however what I have read on these boards is that MSC have been in these waters for some time. So why now is it all about North Americans and what they think a cruise line should bring to their State. I personally want a holiday / cruise that will give me new experiences and to mix with other nationalities to give me a better understanding of how other countries does things. 

MSC have only sailed from Miami since 2013, previously from 2006 they sailed out of Fort Lauderdale, even today many North Americans have not heard of MSC and those that have are likely not aware of just how big a company they are when you include their merchant fleet.

36 minutes ago, Scot born said:

I know this is a stupid question, however here goes, why is people hung up about the "FACT" that only Americans think that MSC is only trying to capture North America clients/ market. Ok I get that they sail from Miami, however what I have read on these boards is that MSC have been in these waters for some time. So why now is it all about North Americans and what they think a cruise line should bring to their State. I personally want a holiday / cruise that will give me new experiences and to mix with other nationalities to give me a better understanding of how other countries does things. 

I agree ... we're doing 2 MSC US-based cruises next year.  We don't want an 'Americanised' experience onboard;  we're going for the POCs.  If we wanted an American experience, we'd just do a land-based holiday.  We love the international mix on MSC ships.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, sidari said:

MSC have only sailed from Miami since 2013, previously from 2006 they sailed out of Fort Lauderdale, even today many North Americans have not heard of MSC and those that have are likely not aware of just how big a company they are when you include their merchant fleet.

Miami is closer to Ft Lauderdale than Accrington is to Blackpool, so MSC has indeed been in 'these waters' for some time!

• Haha 1

On 11/25/2018 at 1:12 PM, JDGGG said:

Couple of more things... I am also Black Card due to my status with Royal and Celebrity. The perks were nice (free dining at a specialty restaurant/thermal suite usage etc.)

Disembarkation was a nightmare. The "express walkoff" was anything but. The line wrapped around the entire 6th deck with no supervision by the staff. Come on MSC don't you want to leave a good last impression???

We had opposite experience 3 months ago. We lined up an hour early, we were about 10th in line..and the staff was guiding people that arrive later to correct place...it was the best walk off we have ever had. When they started letting us off they had 2 exits, each with 2 scanners (so 4 in total). 

22 minutes ago, sidari said:

What has that got to do with anything!

Post 68 stated that MSC had been sailing in North American waters for some time. Your post 69 stated that MSC have only sailed from Miami since 2013, previously from 2006 they sailed out of Fort Lauderdale. In cruising terms Miami and FT L are virtually interchangeable, and I used a UK example close to your stated location to highlight just how close....what I was trying to point out was that since you had highlighted MSC were sailing from FT L in 2006 then, in any language, that represents some time as post 68 had indicated!

1 hour ago, hamrag said:

Post 68 stated that MSC had been sailing in North American waters for some time. Your post 69 stated that MSC have only sailed from Miami since 2013, previously from 2006 they sailed out of Fort Lauderdale. In cruising terms Miami and FT L are virtually interchangeable, and I used a UK example close to your stated location to highlight just how close....what I was trying to point out was that since you had highlighted MSC were sailing from FT L in 2006 then, in any language, that represents some time as post 68 had indicated!

I don't understand your comment. Sidari was just confirming that MSC has been in the USA since 2006. Yes, MSC has because we cruised out of Port Everglades on the Lirica 2 times during that year of 2006. In fact we still cruise out of PE and Port Of Miami this month of Nov 2018.

Edited by asctony