Restaurant Chargers

MsMermaid

I think the chargers Regent has are just beautiful in the restaurants.  However, I find it odd they are immediately whisked away when the food is brought.  Seems rather tacky and leaves the table "undressed".  According to etiquette, "In service à la russe charger plates are called service plates and are kept on the table during the entire meal until dessert is served. Service plates act as a base forsoup bowls, salad plates, and for the main course. A service plate is removed before dessert."  Does anyone else think this is odd?

Perhaps Regent paid so much for them, they're afraid something untoward will happen to them if they're left on the table for any period longer than just making a good "first impression"?  They might also be trying to minimize "wear and tear" from extended use (staying on tables too long) in order to make them last as long as possible before replacement?

Pretty much agree with pingpong1 - all of the chargers on Regent are super expensive but so are the matching bread plates and vase, that remain on the table in CR (speaking off the Versace dinnerware).  In terms of etiquette, Regent is top notch in my opinion.  Try counting how many plates and pieces of silverware are put down for each course of your meal.  

You get soup, salad and/or appetizer plates (usually 2-3 plates per item) and silverware for each course.  Then there is the sorbet which is a plate and a sorbet cup with a small spoon followed by the main course with new silverware, a plate for your entree and individual plates for your side dishes.  Last but not least is the cup, saucer and plate for coffee/tea, the dessert set-up  and, if wish a port or other after dinner drink that is another piece of glassware.  

As an aside, we went through some storms in the Atlantic last week and I heard plates crashing in La Veranda.  Thankfully there were not the Versace plates/chargers or the ones in Chartreuse.

Depends on which Etiquette you follow. This site says removing them after seating is ok.

Charger Plate Etiquette

charger table setting

Follow these specific etiquette rules when using charger plates at your upscale catered event, wedding, fine dining restaurant, or dinner party:

• Charger plates should be dressed and ready when guests arrive.
  • Chargers are always removed from the table after all guests are finished eating the main entrée. Chargers should then be taken away with the dinner plate still on top, as this clears the table and leaves it ready for dessert to be served. Chargers are never used when serving dessert.
  • Chargers can be removed once all guests are seated, or they may remain on the table throughout the entire length of the meal.
  • Place charger plates one inch away from the bottom edge of the table to create perfect alignment.
  • Never serve food directly on top of a charger plate, unless it is coated in a food-safe material.
  • Like 1

From what I'm reading, restaurants do not use the type of plates that Regent does as chargers.  Obviously you could eat food on the Versace plates and you could put other plates on top of it (as described above) but it likely would scratch/damage the plate. In our opinion, the plates are perfect for sitting on the table when you arrive in CR and then being removed right before your appetizer arrives.  Maybe it isn't perfect etiquette but I doubt if many people care.  

• Like 2

Versace chargers and Erte chargers should never be washed in a hot dishwasher as well as fine crystal.  That being said they should not be removed until after the first course is served.  We have both and use them mixed around our dining table when we have guests.  What’s the point of having them when you take them away when one is seated?

In Michelin star restaurants they leave the expensive chargers until the first course is finished at least in NYC.

• Like 1

On 11/26/2018 at 11:20 AM, UUNetBill said:

Why?  Because it looks nice to start.   :classic_biggrin:

Absolutely!  They look great!  I can see no benefit of putting 2-3 dishes for each course on top of these lovely plates.  Regent has been using these plates for 2 1/2 years (on Explorer and now on all ships) and I have not hear one complaint.  It isn't like you sit down and they are removed.  You order wine/cocktails, are served bread, order and they are removed right before your appetizer is served.  

So, why is this a big deal?  Guess I just don't get it.  

I don't get it either - in those (few) restaurants here in Switzerland that use charger plates they are whisked away before the starter arrives.  (Often before the amuse-bouche arrives for that matter).    I think they had a purpose a long time ago - to keep very hot plates off immediate contact with the table perhaps ? - but now they are just nice to look at.  I used to use them but gave up!  too much to wash and too heavy to carry around.

1 hour ago, fizzy said:

I would imagine that since the chargers can't be properly washed  after each use that they might be an easy way to spread germs of different types. A commercial dishwasher would destroy them in no time.

I just checked with a chef who said that the chargers are presumably being hand wiped with a sanitizing solution.

I might have missed it, but I don't see anyone making a "big deal" out of anything on this discussion....at least not on the subject of Chargers.  If someone doesn't feel like contributing or engaging in this particular topic - then don't!   I Thought this was just a friendly and informative conversation about the use, history, and appropriateness of Chargers on the tables?  No reason for anyone to feel that this is some sort of "attack" on Regent.  Others quite often feel quite free to pick/choose/initiate discussions, of their choice, on a variety of topics on this board, as they see fit.  So why would this discussion topic be a "problem", or anything different?  And certainly, no one is committing the huge transgression of posting "off topic"!  After all,  "Chargers" is the topic of this thread.

• Like 2

Pingpong - I do not see what your post has to do with what anyone has posted.  No one was attacking or accusing yet you seem to be insinuating that they are.  We are all giving our input about the subject - nothing more or less.  The TS brought this topic up and asked if it bothered anyone else.  It doesn't seem to but I am curious why this is important (or as I asked, why is this a big deal).   

Love seeing all of the interest around our use of the Versace chargers in Compass Rose. 

We choose to remove the chargers after the guest order is taken since we have a variety of plate sizes/shapes for the starters and entrees.  Some don't fit as nicely on top of the charger and we've simply chosen to remove the charger prior to guests starting the first course.     

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jason OKeefe said:

Love seeing all of the interest around our use of the Versace chargers in Compass Rose. 

We choose to remove the chargers after the guest order is taken since we have a variety of plate sizes/shapes for the starters and entrees.  Some don't fit as nicely on top of the charger and we've simply chosen to remove the charger prior to guests starting the first course.     

Jason,

If you ever decide to sell any of the Versace pieces, my wife and her mother will be first in line yo buy some.  In fact, just last week they were discussing ways to smuggle full sets out in their luggage.

They were joking...I think...   :classic_biggrin:

32 minutes ago, UUNetBill said:

Jason,

If you ever decide to sell any of the Versace pieces, my wife and her mother will be first in line yo buy some.  In fact, just last week they were discussing ways to smuggle full sets out in their luggage.

They were joking...I think...   :classic_biggrin:

Maybe in the future they will be a prize for Regent reward points - just trying to guess how many points one would need for one charger, one may need to participate in the daily Mensa quiz and trivia on the world cruise to earn a sufficient number of points. On the other hand, I would love a set of 16 glasses that are used in Prime 7 for the shrimp cocktail/popcorn sundae.

gnomie

• Each place setting should have a charger, and the chargers should be at least 2 feet from each other to allow adequate elbow room for guests.
  • The charger may be used as a place to rest name cards, napkins or menu cards prior to the dinner.
  • Salad dishes, soup bowls and dinner plates may all be placed on the chargers, but the chargers must be either replaced or wiped clean between each course.
  • Chargers are to be removed from the table after the main course and before the dessert. Chargers are never to be used during the dessert.

According the blurb above, chargers are to either be removed or wiped clean between EACH course.  A bit of a PITA for the waiters.  Also, NEVER to be used during dessert.

Personally, it doesn't bother me a bit that they are removed at the start of the mean.  That said, I wonder if they're then washed for their next use to prevent the spread of germs?