RoyalUP? (Bid for stateroom upgrade)

John&LaLa

has anyone seen this when bidding?  I am on the 2/26 Symphony sailing.  Currently have a boardwalk balcony cabin.  I have minimum bids on a JS, a spacious OV balcony, and an ultra spacious oceanview balcony.  I can adjust the JS and Ultra.  Get this message for the spacious.  I haven't seen this before.  I am 0 for 3 on these post covid sailings with bids as I bid the least amount.  I have been getting notified my bid was denied when sitting at the Windjammer for breakfast on day 2.  I haven't seen this inability to adjust one bid.  All my bids are pending.

Screenshot_20220211-160159_Chrome.jpg

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, jean87510 said:

has anyone seen this when bidding?  I am on the 2/26 Symphony sailing.  Currently have a boardwalk balcony cabin.  I have minimum bids on a JS, a spacious OV balcony, and an ultra spacious oceanview balcony.  I can adjust the JS and Ultra.  Get this message for the spacious.  I haven't seen this before.  I am 0 for 3 on these post covid sailings with bids as I bid the least amount.  I have been getting notified my bid was denied when sitting at the Windjammer for breakfast on day 2.  I haven't seen this inability to adjust one bid.  All my bids are pending.

I have not seen that.  Are you using a phone or a computer?    

Sometimes I have had trouble modifying bids from my phone; my computer browser always seems to works without any frustration.  So, maybe switch device or browser and see if that helps.

38 minutes ago, Starry Eyes said:

I have not seen that.  Are you using a phone or a computer?    

Sometimes I have had trouble modifying bids from my phone; my computer browser always seems to works without any frustration.  So, maybe switch device or browser and see if that helps.

phone.  

I did try my tablet and noticed the lowest bid changed from $125 pp to $175pp.  Unfortunately, I clicked on it and now that's my bid!  But at least I can figure out what happened.  And granted, $100 isnt a big deal especially when I wont get it anyway.

9 minutes ago, jean87510 said:

phone.  

I did try my tablet and noticed the lowest bid changed from $125 pp to $175pp.  Unfortunately, I clicked on it and now that's my bid!  But at least I can figure out what happened.  And granted, $100 isnt a big deal especially when I wont get it anyway.

Oh, was there previously a “sale” with lower minimum bids on that cabin for your cruise?  And I suppose if the current minimum bid is now higher, perhaps you must meet that new minimum if you adjust your bid.

59 minutes ago, Starry Eyes said:

Oh, was there previously a “sale” with lower minimum bids on that cabin for your cruise?  And I suppose if the current minimum bid is now higher, perhaps you must meet that new minimum if you adjust your bid.

yep.  1st time experience with this "sale".

9 hours ago, jean87510 said:

No, but that is the Company that does the RoyalUps. It's not RCI.

Theoretical question mostly. Currently we are 2 ppl booked in a balcony and Royal Up opened up. IF I bid and get a suite and THEN someone decides to join.. would we be able to add a third person supplement to add the person to the booking? (all this is very theoretical of course and would only work if the Royal Up was accepted at least a week out).

A second question - I know that on some cruises Royal Up sales go out very close to departure date and even on the morning of. If I bid and then a sale goes live, do I miss out on the lower price possibility? I'm really considering doing an upgrade but don't know if I should wait a bit more to bid. Cruise is mid April. Appreciate any feedback!

1 hour ago, seasidemama said:

Theoretical question mostly. Currently we are 2 ppl booked in a balcony and Royal Up opened up. IF I bid and get a suite and THEN someone decides to join.. would we be able to add a third person supplement to add the person to the booking? (all this is very theoretical of course and would only work if the Royal Up was accepted at least a week out).

A second question - I know that on some cruises Royal Up sales go out very close to departure date and even on the morning of. If I bid and then a sale goes live, do I miss out on the lower price possibility? I'm really considering doing an upgrade but don't know if I should wait a bit more to bid. Cruise is mid April. Appreciate any feedback!

If you add another person after you win--they will reprice you at the current rate.  Not sure what you mean about a 'sale going live'.  I think you are confusing that with the fact that sometimes they don't notify those with winning bids until right before/day of a sailing.  Just like sometimes you don't get the email letting you know you didn't win until you're already on the ship.  

Edited by rockmom
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, rockmom said:

If you add another person after you win--they will reprice you at the current rate.  Not sure what you mean about a 'sale going live'.  I think you are confusing that with the fact that sometimes they don't notify those with winning bids until right before/day of a sailing.  Just like sometimes you don't get the email letting you know you didn't win until you're already on the ship.  

What I meat by sale going live is when they send the Royal Up notice that starting bid prices are lower than before when Royal Up initially offered.  I was booked on a January sailing which I cancelled 45 days before the sailing date. There was some disconnect between Royal Up and RCCL and after I cancelled, I still received the Royal Up offer and was able to look at the bid page. On the morning of the sailing (still cancelled on my booking) I received yet another Royal Up email telling me bidding is still open and they have a sale where starting bid is 50% less. I clicked through just because I was curious and indeed the starting bids were half of what they were before.

I am really tempted to put in a bid for my April sailing, but would hate to have my bid accepted and then see that I could have bid half the amount.. 

3 minutes ago, seasidemama said:

What I meat by sale going live is when they send the Royal Up notice that starting bid prices are lower than before when Royal Up initially offered.  I was booked on a January sailing which I cancelled 45 days before the sailing date. There was some disconnect between Royal Up and RCCL and after I cancelled, I still received the Royal Up offer and was able to look at the bid page. On the morning of the sailing (still cancelled on my booking) I received yet another Royal Up email telling me bidding is still open and they have a sale where starting bid is 50% less. I clicked through just because I was curious and indeed the starting bids were half of what they were before.

I am really tempted to put in a bid for my April sailing, but would hate to have my bid accepted and then see that I could have bid half the amount.. 

Unless they have already accepted or locked in your bid, you may modify the or cancel a bid, so you could modify your bid if they lower the minimum bid.

You will need to decide how much the potential upgrade is worth to you; if that number is higher than the minimum, then bid.   If not, wait and see if the minimum is lowered.  Those are, after all, just starting bids; one cannot know how many cabins will be available or what bids others will submit 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Starry Eyes said:

Unless they have already accepted or locked in your bid, you may modify the or cancel a bid, so you could modify your bid if they lower the minimum bid.

You will need to decide how much the potential upgrade is worth to you; if that number is higher than the minimum, then bid.   If not, wait and see if the minimum is lowered.  Those are, after all, just starting bids; one cannot know how many cabins will be available or what bids others will submit 

You are right about not knowing. I'll probably bid a bit over minimum at the full bidding price starting point. Happy with my cabin now so will not be overly disappointed if it's not accepted. 

1 hour ago, seasidemama said:

I am really tempted to put in a bid for my April sailing, but would hate to have my bid accepted and then see that I could have bid half the amount.

I've only seen that half-off "sale" one time, just recently.  It's not something that happens regularly.  I think it was rolled out because so many people were cancelling b/c of Omicron, and they were trying to get every last dime out of the few people who were cruising.  

Well I went ahead and bid for the JS and GS. Did both at a bit over minimum. Went to check the page and right away the GS is showing an ability to modify/cancel, but JS is showing pending no option to modify/cancel.  This is literally a few minutes after putting in the bid. Cruise is two months away. Interesting. 

Curious is anyone has a similar situation to this. We’re in a balcony guarantee 3/26 Mariner. 

I received the royal up email a few hours after check in opened. I could bid on a spacious balcony all the way up to a 2 bed GS. Bid on all but the balcony cabin. 
Balcony rooms for a 4 pax appears to be sold out. Available suite is owners. 

What was your outcome on a sold out guarantee? We’re you upgraded or win the royal up bid? 

4 hours ago, seasidemama said:

Well I went ahead and bid for the JS and GS. Did both at a bit over minimum. Went to check the page and right away the GS is showing an ability to modify/cancel, but JS is showing pending no option to modify/cancel.  This is literally a few minutes after putting in the bid. Cruise is two months away. Interesting. 

I leave in 5 weeks and also am experiencing the exact same situation.

9 hours ago, twinmommy08 said:

What was your outcome on a sold out guarantee? We’re you upgraded or win the royal up bid? 

Just because it's showing sold out doesn't mean that your GTY room isn't available.  It just means they aren't selling any more in that category, likely due to reduced capacity at this point.

You'll still get your GTY balcony unless you win your bid.

• Like 1

On 2/11/2022 at 5:16 PM, Starry Eyes said:

Hmmm me too. Bid on spacious balcony. I clicked on adjust and couldnt. Only bid higher. Dont really care, just bid for fun. First time bidder.

11 hours ago, twinmommy08 said:

Curious is anyone has a similar situation to this. We’re in a balcony guarantee 3/26 Mariner. 

I received the royal up email a few hours after check in opened. I could bid on a spacious balcony all the way up to a 2 bed GS. Bid on all but the balcony cabin. 
Balcony rooms for a 4 pax appears to be sold out. Available suite is owners. 

You really know inventory for certain by doing a mock booking.  Cabins enough for gty may have been removed already.  Furthermore, final payment date has not yet passed; some people may not pay.  Others may cancel or change later.

I checked my Royal up bids today and the spacious ocean view balcony is showing pending while all the others are showing expired. Based on what I have read on this thread that seems to be a good sign. So far my credit card has not been charged and nothing is updated on the website but hopefully that happens today.  We were in an ocean view on deck 3 and we bid $45pp (which was only $10 over the minimum bid) for the spacious balcony of the 2/25 sailing on Independence of the seas. 

• Like 2