Upsell Question

I object 2

We just received an upsell email from Princess.  Does Princess re-email with a better offer if no one else takes the upsell?  Or is it better to call and ask to be contacted again if the offer price is reduced?   Curious minds want to know!  🙂

27 minutes ago, I object 2 said:

We just received an upsell email from Princess.  Does Princess re-email with a better offer if no one else takes the upsell?  Or is it better to call and ask to be contacted again if the offer price is reduced?   Curious minds want to know!  🙂

Chances are very good that someone will take the upsell.

Call and leave a message. You can always say no if the deal isn't what you want.

1 hour ago, HEINER said:

How long does it take Princess to call back?  We were given an upsale  for our 49 day cruise.

I have received a callback anywhere from a half hour to 7+ hours after I made the initial call.  And upsells usually do go quickly, especially if it's for a full suite where there is very limited inventory.

5 hours ago, I object 2 said:

You snooze you lose is what I always say.

Call asap, its first come first served.

4 hours ago, paul929207 said:

I don't recall discussions on here about people getting a second upsell.

We have received upsell calls on a couple of cruises, but, never more than one.  Always declined the offer because price-wise it didn't make sense to us.

2 hours ago, HEINER said:

We are on a 49 day cruise on the Royal had a Mini Suite took the upsell to a full suite. 

We are happy!

People used to be happy with free upgrades which occurred frequently.

Then Princess discovered that people would be almost begging to pay for what used to be free. So now free upgrades are rare and Princess gets more $$$ for what used to be free.

Princess seems to mostly do free upgrades when they are moving someone within a type of cabin. That is from a "low" balcony to a "high" balcony.

They seem to offer upsells when changing the type cabin as above where the move was from a mini-suite to a full suite.

5 hours ago, caribill said:

People used to be happy with free upgrades which occurred frequently.

Then Princess discovered that people would be almost begging to pay for what used to be free. So now free upgrades are rare and Princess gets more $$$ for what used to be free.

As a traveler, I mourn the loss of the free upgrade (not that I've ever actually received one) but as a Carnival Corporation shareholder, I'm happy to see "my" company not give away something of value for free. Keeps the profits up and sustains my dividends.

But still, a free upgrade would be nice.

14 hours ago, WarEagle76 said:

Wonder if Princess will follow RCCL and implement a new online bidding system for upgrades. (New RoyalUP program). 

That is how NCL handles the upgrades as well.  They send you the 'bid' option 90 days prior to the cruise and you may or may not get the upgrade.

What I do when I get an upsell offer is I don't think or wonder or do anything but call immediately and get in the queue.  Then when I am waiting for a call back I do the math and see if the upsell is worth it to me.  Then I go into the website and look up what staterooms are available in the upsell offer.  I never let Princess rep. pick the room- may not be the best one available for your desires.  So when Princess calls back and I want to take the offer I have picked out 2-3 staterooms to chose.

Yes, has been awhile since I have gotten a free upgrade, but have seen upsells several times when I have not already booked an M1 stateroom.  Not many times does one get an upsell offer to a suite which is the next upsale stateroom.  Most times in the cruises I book the suites are the first to be sold out.

Pooh

• Like 1

Free upgrades seem to be offered these days only if the sailing is full and there are more “Guarantee” bookings than available cabins for some categories.

My sister and a friend are currently on the Star to Hawaii. They were booked in separate cabins (oceanview and a mini-suite) and were offered a 2-bedroom family suite if they’d sail together two days before sailing. They are enjoying the full suite perks. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, HEINER said:

Ok, we did get a call back from Princess. I called at 9:30 they called back at 5:00. 

We are on a 49 day cruise on the Royal had a Mini Suite took the upsell to a full suite. 

We are happy!

Congratulations!  That's a perfect way to cruise for 49 days.  Enjoy all of the extra perks!

Edited by azbirdmom

19 hours ago, HEINER said:

Ok, we did get a call back from Princess. I called at 9:30 they called back at 5:00. 

We are happy!

Can you share what the upsell offer was?

Ok your going to think we have lost our minds. And we have!!

Here are the details we had a mini C429 it’s a great mini with the larger balcony and we love the cabin have cruise in it a few time. 

So we were offer an up sell to R612 Penthouse Suite for $3495.00 pp it’s a 49 day cruise on the Royal Princess. We booked the day it open with a TA. Princess  offer $1,000.00 OBC plus free gratuity our TA does discount the cruise fare.  So in total we have $1,800.00 OBC. So for what we payed then the up sell we took the offer. We thought for 49 days a larger cabin would be nice!

This maybe to much information but as I always see people that took the upsell I always would have like a little bit of information on what they we’re offered. 

We are happy😄

Betty

• Like 1

As long as you are happy that is what matters.  You'll have access to the nice relaxing breakfast in Sabatini's every day and Club Class dining with no waits for lunch and dinner.  If you just want to relax in your cabin and not go to a dining room, you can order off the MDR menu through room service.  Don't know if you are Elite but if you're not, you'll have same day laundry included which I would imagine you'll take advantage of quite a bit over a 49 day cruise.  You'll be right by the Concierge lounge where you can get coffee drinks from the machine any time you want.  And have lots of extra room in the cabin to enjoy since I doubt you'll always be out and about around the ship when you're on board for such a long period.  Some may think that it's not worth it but to me it would be.

20 minutes ago, azbirdmom said:

As long as you are happy that is what matters.  You'll have access to the nice relaxing breakfast in Sabatini's every day and Club Class dining with no waits for lunch and dinner.  If you just want to relax in your cabin and not go to a dining room, you can order off the MDR menu through room service.  Don't know if you are Elite but if you're not, you'll have same day laundry included which I would imagine you'll take advantage of quite a bit over a 49 day cruise.  You'll be right by the Concierge lounge where you can get coffee drinks from the machine any time you want.  And have lots of extra room in the cabin to enjoy since I doubt you'll always be out and about around the ship when you're on board for such a long period.  Some may think that it's not worth it but to me it would be.

Thanks for all the information on what’s included. We are Elite but this is the first time in a Suite. 

Just now, HEINER said:

Thanks for all the information on what’s included. We are Elite but this is the first time in a Suite. 

Then the suite gets you same day laundry vs. next day service (or possibly longer if there are a lot of Elites traveling).  You'll also get double mini bar set ups and double cruise credits (you'll need to have the Captain's Circle Host / Hostess add it for you or contact Captain's Circle after the trip).  If you haven't seen it, here is the list of suite perks:  https://www.princess.com/downloads/pdf/ships/PrincessSuite_eFlyer.pdf