Oosterdam.....just back

MISTER 67

We are veterans of 58 cruises with 20 on HAL.

Thought I'd give a little review of our Nov 24-Dec 1 cruise on the Oosterdam, we have now sailed on all the Vista class ships and the Oosterdam just became our favorite ship. The ship to us is just a little prettier than the other Vista ships, the decor was outstanding. The ship was spotless, probably the cleanest ship we have sailed on. I believe the ship is now 13 years old and is in great shape. 

Service everywhere on board was outstanding from the MDR to the cabin steward to the Ocean bar to guest relations to the Lido buffet. 

Embarkation and dis-embarkation were both a breeze. Kudos to Alvaro who was the main server in the Lido buffet line, very friendly with always a smile on his face.

The food in the MDR and the Lido were to us the best food we have eaten on a ship. Can't comment on any of the specialty restaurants as we passed on them. 

Entertaiment was very good in the Mainstage with a very funny comedian/magician and another comedian. Production shows were very good. We have now seen BBC Planet Earth twice now and HAL needs to give us more entertainment and skip stuff we can see on on TV at home on the National Geographic channel. We love the 3 other entertainment venues as they always have great performers in BB Kings, Billboard On board and Lincoln Center. 

I'm not going to review the ports as the only place we left the ship was in St. Thomas as I have a thing about watches and always buy one in St. Thomas to add to my collection, St. Thomas is the greatest place on earth to bargain with the salespeople. San Juan is also a favorite of ours but we were just there in September so decided to stay on board. Could care less about Turk and Caicos. 

Our only problem on the cruise was an issue with hot water in our cabin, it was tepid until I complained on Sunday and we had hot water for 2 days with back to tepid most of the remaining time. Passengers in other staterooms on our deck had the same problem but everybody else we talked to had no problem.

Any questions, feel free to ask.

• Thanks 1

Thank you! We’re boarding on the 22nd and I’d been anxious based on reviews from the summer. Our recent cruises have been on Celebrity but we’ve always enjoyed HAL in the past. (And sailed on Oisterdam in 2010.) Glad to hear you had a good experience. Your review is much appreciated. 🙂

I was on the same cruise.

Amazing how previous reviews said how old, dirty, stained rugs, torn furniture, etc.

I also found none of that true. Yes it is an older ship, but was very clean, crew continuously polishing, cleaning, etc. Very few signs of wear.

Unlike many newer, larger ships, elevators were all functioning and fast.

Agree that Nat Geo should be replaced by more singing and dancing.

I was in cabin VC 5024.

One of the quieter cabins that I have ever been in. Good location.

Only complaint is that drapes are not very room darkening, so sunrise does wake you.

Overall excellent service and food.

Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts. I will be sailing on her next year, and am interested in knowing several things:

Did you use the pool area or fitness center at all? If so was either crowded at any particular time?

if there were any stand out food options that you believe “should not be missed”?

And if you enjoy an occasional glass of wine, did you purchase any type of wine or beverage package? Any particular wine you believe is worth a try?

Did you visit Explorer Cafe for coffee? Do you know what time they started serving coffee?  Did you try any of their snacks or special treats?

Thank you for opening it up to questions! I know things can change from cruise to cruise, but I am curious.

Edited by cat shepard
Misspelled word.

43 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts. I will be sailing on her next year, and am interested in knowing several things:

Did you use the pool area or fitness center at all? If so was either crowded at any particular time?

if there were any stand out food options that you believe “should not be missed”?

And if you enjoy an occasional glass of wine, did you purchase any type of wine or beverage package? Any particular wine you believe is worth a try?

Did you visit Explorer Cafe for coffee? Do you know what time they started serving coffee?  Did you try any of their snacks or special treats?

Thank you for opening it up to questions! I know things can change from cruise to cruise, but I am curious.

No on the pool or fitness center, I'm a golfer and play 5 times a week, 49 weeks a year, 3 or sometimes 4 weeks for cruises so I'm on the ship for simple relaxation and reading plus some Blackjack and of course fine dining a good entertainment. I usually read 3-4 books on a one week cruise. If we get off the ship we try to walk a good bit but I'm bone on bone in my right knee so they aren't power walks.  

We don't drink much, we love a Manhattan in the Ocean Bar before dinner but no wine so I can't help you out with that.

I had 3 hot Mochas during the cruise which were reasonably priced and very good in the Explorations Cafe, they open at 6:30 AM.

The ship was sold out but there were no long lines for anything, couldn't believe how short the wait was for elevators and only one time was there a crowd in an elevator as it was after a show in the Mainstage. We've been on mega ships with long waits for elevators and they were always packed.

Have a great cruise next year!

Edited by MISTER 67
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, MISTER 67 said:

I had 3 hot Mochas during the cruise which were reasonably priced and very good in the Explorations Cafe, they open at 6:30 AM.

Thank you for your quick response.  You have made my night! The Koningsdam’s EXplorations Cafe did not open until 8 a.m. on a recent cruise. Perhaps it was just for that cruise. Or that ship.

I was on this cruise also. I have been on over 40 cruises on HAL, NCL, CCL, RCL and MSC. This is now my favorite HAL ship. It does not have all the bells and whistles that the new gigantic ships have but it makes it up in plenty of public space for the guests, fast elevators, actual empty chairs poolside most of the time, the best free room service meals of any ship I have been on, lowest prices on ordering a bottle of liquor for your cabin, the friendliest crew ever, terrific meals even in the buffet, a large screen, smart TV with hundreds of free movies and TV shows and fast tendering to Half Moon Cay.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for your review! We enjoyed a wonderful Thanksgiving cruise on Oosterdam November 17-24. The crew was working fairly constantly throughout the week replacing carpet, tile, and working in the elevators replacing paneling in the public rooms. The difference from start to finish was really striking. I recall some earlier posts several months ago saying Oosterdam looked a little unkempt, and while when we first boarded there were portions of her that I may describe as little worn, by the end of our week on board, she was in great shape. 

• Like 1

Glad to read about the very positive recent reviews of the Oosterdam as DH and I will be sailing on her on Feb. 2nd. We have been on 47 cruises and this will be our 8th on HAL, first time on the Oosterdam. Looking forward to it very much - we love the HAL Neptune Suites and have our 5th one booked on the Oosterdam.

We were on 14 day cruise thru 12/1 and had an amazing time. Ship looked amazing and staff was awesome. We were in 7059 and had hot water issues as well. We were given another stateroom to shower in, but we were told we were the only stateroom affected. Apparently not. 🙄

Edited by KrissyCruises
  • Like 1

Thanks for your report on the Oosterdam.  I have only cruised on the Oosterdam in a suite, twice, unlike what I usually book, but the ship was delightful and remains a favorite.  We just did the Eurodam, and other than the Tamarand, would rather be on the Oosterdam.  

Did you notice new blue glasses (stemless) for water in the MDR?  Has the Crow's Nest been transformed into EXC?

1 hour ago, St Pete Cruiser said:

Thanks for your report on the Oosterdam.  I have only cruised on the Oosterdam in a suite, twice, unlike what I usually book, but the ship was delightful and remains a favorite.  We just did the Eurodam, and other than the Tamarand, would rather be on the Oosterdam.  

Did you notice new blue glasses (stemless) for water in the MDR?  Has the Crow's Nest been transformed into EXC?

Just got off Oosterdam a month ago.   I posted a review and yes the Crows Nest has been transformed.   Not sure about MDR as I didn't eat in there was doing buffet and the specialty resty

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Heading on the Oosterdam for New Years with my family.  My wife was very apprehensive about this ship because of prior reviews- we have never traveled HAL before, lots of cruises under our belt - with our line of choice being Celebrity - and ship choice Reflection.   We chose this for the relaxation aspect with our two boys (university and grade 12) during their Christmas break from school.  And the timing of the trip, and price.  Your review took the pressure off - Thanks!