Sunday Services?

ne1travel

In general no.  However if some clergy member wants to hold a service in the chapel, it can be arranged.  I don't remember any time however that I have been aboard on a Sunday (not a starting or ending day) where a service has been offered.  Maybe others have a better experience.

Last year, on the Regal repo from NY to Ft. Lauderdale, there was a priest on board who offered Mass a couple of times.  They also had someone hold Shabbat services on that cruise.  In all of my years on Princess, that was the first time for me to have a service on Sunday.  HAL has one almost daily.

Maureen

Sunday Christian service is now only offered when an ordained minister/priest is onboard, so cannot be counted on to happen.   Same with Jewish Sabbath services - usually a note is made asking for a passenger to lead the service.

Over the years we have had services led by the Cruise Director or their staff, visiting ministers, an ordained crew member, and once even led by the Captain.  Christmas cruises used to have a priest.

The frequency of the Sunday service has diminished in recent years per our experience.  We usually just share some readings and song in our cabin, and come prepared to do this.

Edited by Times Prince

It does seem,  over the years, that the scheduling of a sea day Christian service of worship is becoming less and less.  In times past it was part of the captains duty and was quite formal along the lines of the Church of England format. Cruise Directors used to welcome a passenger to lead the service provided the passenger could offer a letter of good intent from their local church. They were also happy to schedule an early morning bible study in the Patter, if there was a passenger willing to lead it. Times past waiting for times to come. 

They willl even sometimes advertise for laymen to us services, I know of one person who contact them before a cruise and offered to hold services, the offer was accepted. That was a 33 night cruise if it makes any difference

A couple years ago aboard the CB, there was a couple that partnered with princess to conduct Christian services.

We  have frequently (more so than not) been aboard ship where Protestant services were listed in the platter.

Recently, aboard another cruise line - they had a priest that would conduct Catholic services. We got together with our tablemates who were Pastors. We asked if we could conduct Protestant services. Initially, we were given permission.

Things go a little dicey when the priest insisted on being involved. We went ahead with a service with the priest having to approve everything involved. We were pleasantly surprised at the turnout - even some crew members and assistant CD staff attended.

from the FAQ's

We respect our guests' religious beliefs and invite them to practice on their own or with their fellow guests. Guests who wish to lead religious services may volunteer by contacting the Guest Services desk or a member of the Cruise Staff. In some cases, our shipboard staff will lead services. However, Princess Cruises does not place clergy on board our vessels.

Clergy traveling as Guests onboard our vessels are welcome to conduct services while sailing. They should leave their name, cabin number, and services offered at the Guest Services Desk and they will be contacted by a member of the Cruise Director's Staff. Approval of services will be made based on schedule suitability, appropriate onboard supplies, etc. Please bring your Letter of Celebret or Letter of Good Standing with you to provide to the onboard staff.

7 hours ago, ne1travel said:

On cruises longer than 7 days, does Princess offer any religious services on Sunday?

Princess does not have any dedicated people onboard anymore for this. 

If someone onboard is willing to carry out a service then that would be the way.

5 hours ago, JWUC said:

A couple years ago aboard the CB, there was a couple that partnered with princess to conduct Christian services.

We  have frequently (more so than not) been aboard ship where Protestant services were listed in the platter.

Recently, aboard another cruise line - they had a priest that would conduct Catholic services. We got together with our tablemates who were Pastors. We asked if we could conduct Protestant services. Initially, we were given permission.

Things go a little dicey when the priest insisted on being involved. We went ahead with a service with the priest having to approve everything involved. We were pleasantly surprised at the turnout - even some crew members and assistant CD staff attended.

Recently on the CB they only had Bible study scheduled on Sundays. It was also a port day so you can only imagine how many people attended.:classic_laugh:

6 hours ago, paul929207 said:

Last I can recall hearing is that Princess only arranges for a priest to be onboard for Christmas and Easter. For all other Sundays, it just depends on having one as a passenger and having him volunteer.

Last Christmas, there was no priest aboard our Ruby Princess cruise.  The religious service was lead by the Cruise Director and was beautifully done.

14 hours ago, jrzebird said:

Last year, on the Regal repo from NY to Ft. Lauderdale, there was a priest on board who offered Mass a couple of times.  They also had someone hold Shabbat services on that cruise.  In all of my years on Princess, that was the first time for me to have a service on Sunday.  HAL has one almost daily.

Maureen

My husband and I were on that cruise and I really enjoyed those two Saturday vigil Masses.  And, that lounge seating sure made for the most comfortable "pew" that I had ever been in  😉

As stated,  our first cruise was a Princess in 2005 a Spring Break cruise over Easter and they had an Easter service we enjoyed.  Over the years we've enjoyed many however lately they seem to have all but vanished.  You might get lucky but one can't count on it these days.