Smaller ship recomendations

6 minutes ago, CruisingMarch2016 said:

Greetings. We have sailed Oasis and Harmony in Spring. So looking to book a smaller ship and hopefully catch a Southern Itinerary in 2020.

Can I get some help/advice on some of the great smaller ships which might be in the range.

Thanks,

Radiance class would be my first choice. The other small ship option would be a Vision class ship.

We just came back from a great 10 nights cruise on Serenade last Friday and that  class, Radiance, is our preferred smaller class RCI ship which we have sailed on many times. That class has good size less expensive cabins, from inside to balcony, so is a good value and the ship has a nice deck plan layout.

That class handles rough seas very well as its draft is deep for the size of ship. More like a ocean liner than a barge as are the larger class of RCI vessels.

Edited by robtulipe
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, CruisingMarch2016 said:

Greetings. We have sailed Oasis and Harmony in Spring. So looking to book a smaller ship and hopefully catch a Southern Itinerary in 2020.

Can I get some help/advice on some of the great smaller ships which might be in the range.

Thanks,

I  have done at least one cruise on every class except for Empress.   I know Freedom is currently doing the Southern itinerary, and its almost as big and is my favorite ship.  I've twice cruised the southern on Jewel of the Seas (Radiance class) part of that was to get on the Radiance class as everyone loves it.  (I do now too)   I also cruised the southern on  Adventure (Voyager class)  All were wonderful cruises.    (We are late 50's empty nesters)

13 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

I would also recommend Serenade out of Port Everglades.

Not sure if Grandeur out of Baltimore has any Southern Carib itineraries.

As you probably know, I was on the Grandeur last month (12 days).  Visited, St Lucia, St. Kitts, St. Martin, St. John and St. Croix.  Amazing itinerary and although the Grandeur is a much smaller ship than I am used to, we had a great and wonderful time.  What a crew that ship has.  Hats off to them.

54 minutes ago, CruisingMarch2016 said:

Thanks,

Does it have to be RCL or are other lines an option.  Also, how small do you want?

700 passengers, 1200 passengers, 2000 passengers?

Also, what type of cruise:  quiet and relaxed, lots of activity?

3 minutes ago, champagne123 said:

As you probably know, I was on the Grandeur last month (12 days).  Visited, St Lucia, St. Kitts, St. Martin, St. John and St. Croix.  Amazing itinerary and although the Grandeur is a much smaller ship than I am used to, we had a great and wonderful time.  What a crew that ship has.  Hats off to them.

Nice itinerary! I think St. Lucia is considered Southern Caribbean.

Do you want to cruise only out of Florida? Are you willing to travel to San Juan and start your cruise there? IMHO, If you want a true Southern Caribbean cruise then, San Juan is the place to start. Royal Caribbean has two ships that sail regularly from San Juan and both of them are smaller than Oasis and Harmony. Freedom is slightly smaller and offers a lot of great amenities such as the Flow Rider and an ice skating rink. Vision is smaller yet.

3 hours ago, Host Clarea said:

I would also recommend Serenade out of Port Everglades.

Not sure if Grandeur out of Baltimore has any Southern Carib itineraries.

The Grandeur typically does at least one 12 night southern per month during the winter months.  In the peak months it tends to run 7 and 9 night Bahamas, and 5 night Bermuda’s but in the winter there is at least one and sometimes two 12 night southerns per month.  Great trip.  We enjoyed it and love the Grandeur.  Probably my favorite ship. Best crew by far.

Edited by rimmit

28 minutes ago, rimmit said:

The Grandeur typically does at least one 12 night southern per month during the winter months.  In the peak months it tends to run 7 and 9 night Bahamas, and 5 night Bermuda’s but in the winter there is at least one and sometimes two 12 night southerns per month.  Great trip.  We enjoyed it and love the Grandeur.  Probably my favorite ship. Best crew by far.

Grandeur is definitely on our bucket list.:classic_smile:

Grandeur's 12 nights from Baltimore is our fave inexpensive winter trip. Grandeur has a wonderful crew and the 12 nighters have very few kids.

Baltimore is a great city with lots to do culturally and its port is the easiest one we have ever used.

Check out the January 11, 2020 12 nighter. There is a roll call started, too.

Edited by Bookish Angel

7 hours ago, Host Clarea said:

Grandeur is definitely on our bucket list.:classic_smile:

Grandeur was my first Vision class 22yrs ago. Was also on her for my first 10nite cruise 17 years ago, had just got full custody my 3kids, 3, 5 and 10 and took them with me. My 2yr old Daughter sitting in our Deck 3 Cabin window waving to the personal boats sailing by in Port Everglades. For obvious reason's still my Favorite cruise... Haven't been back on her since 2002 though.

Edited by ONECRUISER

We've done the southern caribbean out of San Juan on RCI's Jewel, Adventure and just recently did a B2B on Freedom. In 2020 Vision will be doing this itinerary along with the Freedom...Look at the ports offered and make your choice...Enjoy !!