NO TRIVIA?

suec12

Now I'm pissed off! What do you mean, no other options will be facilitated? What is so hard about pieces of paper and one activities person running regular trivia? We're paying big bucks for this cruise, and there is no way we should have to create our own activities! 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, twodjs said:

Now I'm pissed off! What do you mean, no other options will be facilitated? What is so hard about pieces of paper and one activities person running regular trivia? We're paying big bucks for this cruise, and there is no way we should have to create our own activities! 

One, does not have to create their own activities, we can participate in the pre-planned activities as will be shown in the app on-board or printed in the dailies or not participate or create.

Our choice. We can also send messages to GA and CD about our dismay in co-ordinating activities to our liking or desire.

bon voyage

2 hours ago, Bo1953 said:

One, does not have to create their own activities, we can participate in the pre-planned activities as will be shown in the app on-board or printed in the dailies or not participate or create.

Our choice. We can also send messages to GA and CD about our dismay in co-ordinating activities to our liking or desire.

bon voyage

Bo,

You have the same simple solution that I was thinking about.  Guests onboard should seek out the CD and/or activities manager and just ask for more trivia sessions.  Also put it in the guest comment surveys.  This seems one of those things easy enough to fix.  Hopefully by my cruise next month!

3 hours ago, twodjs said:

Celebrity has gone Green!  No paper is to be used.  No trivia, no soduko, no crossword puzzles, no newspapers, etc.

3 hours ago, Bo1953 said:

bon voyage

There are no daily activities in the dailies!!!  I don't consider learning to write Haiku or learning to mix music as fun activities.  I went to school for that.  I was able to solve the wooden cube in Eden though.  That took about 10 minutes and then I was bored the rest of the day.  At the cruise critic party, Maarten (waste of a CD) introduced some officers and then it was over.   I'll try to get my dailies scanned!

Edited by deeva211

3 hours ago, TeeRick said:

Bo,

You have the same simple solution that I was thinking about.  Guests onboard should seek out the CD and/or activities manager and just ask for more trivia sessions.  Also put it in the guest comment surveys.  This seems one of those things easy enough to fix.  Hopefully by my cruise next month!

.... or you will have it fixed by my sailing in Nov 2019..

:classic_biggrin: bon voyage

7 hours ago, twodjs said:

See post # 2 to review the whole picture..,comes as a directive from Miami...

12 hours ago, hcat said:

See post # 2 to review the whole picture..,comes as a directive from Miami...

Yes I understand but it is still easy to fix I believe.  The Activity Manager should get a lot of guest feedback to include traditional pencil and paper trivia games.  If enough guests ask for this I believe it will happen.  It is a very simple fix.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, twodjs said:

So this is just great - I have a perfectly good Samsung tablet which is not compatable with the Edge app. No paper and pencils for trivia. No paper dailies. We are so screwed! 

Me too about the tablet, and I have no interest in using my  Samsung  phone for the app...I bet it's also too old.  Not easy being Android!

We will be bringing our own puzzle books, paper, pens and pencils,  and  index cards for use as "Attention to Detail" cards, plus books loaded on my tablet and great cruise music on our probably archaic i pod!

We'll enjoy being off the grid, as always...Sorry about the loss of free trivia!

Edited by hcat

As a veteran of a few Transoceanic voyages, I can say comfortably that Trivia and sea days will continue.  There are few other options at 3pm in the middle of the ocean...especially if it's not exactly pool weather.

OTOH, I would look for trivia to continue to disappear on warm-weather, port-intensive itineraries. I think the powers that be have started to cringe at the sight of all those passengers taking up all that space and producing $zero of additional revenue for RCL.

😎

On 12/16/2018 at 8:53 AM, cruisestitch said:

They might as well not have had it. There was no trivia for the first three days of the seven day cruise. Then they instituted trivia. Twice a day.

The category of the first game was “break out male pop stars.” Considering the average age of the room was around 65, no one knew any of the breakout pop stars,  no Surprise.  The winner admitted to randomly guessing.

It was held in a room in which you could hang meat,  it was That cold.  You had to have an Electronic device to play it. A tablet or a smart phone. The questions are on your phone and you had 20 seconds in which to choose from for multiple choice answers. They encourage you to create a team of six if someone didn’t have a tablet to play on. They also said “this is so wonderful that you complete in your room, you can play it at the pool”. I said, that’s not wonderful at all. And it wasn’t. The room was so cold that I did play, all by myself, sitting at  Bacio. And when I won, and went in to claim my prize, they tried to say “oh you have to be present to win. “ But of course nowhere had they said that earlier.   One prize for the whole team of six. Not even six lousy little cheesy prizes, one prize for the team.  The questions, as prepared by Miami, had mistakes, both spelling mistakes and wrong answers.

There was no name that tune, or Scattagories, or Tribond.  Just their two lame trivias a  day,

I was told that this new format was a direct order from LLP I don’t know what she has against trivia, maybe she never wins. But she must hate it a lot.

Just curious, what did you win....

1 hour ago, dkjretired said:

Trivia question in five years.  On what ship did Trivia stop being a thing on Celebrity.   Edge

On one of our recent cruises,  trivia was not fun and few people returned after the first two games.  There were two groups that were called out for using their phones and continued to use them.  The Activities Host was also frustrated.  One cruiser had the nerve to question the Host saying that he had  the wrong answer.  The Host responded that he did not care what the phone said. 

4 hours ago, keesar said:

On one of our recent cruises,  trivia was not fun and few people returned after the first two games.  There were two groups that were called out for using their phones and continued to use them.  The Activities Host was also frustrated.  One cruiser had the nerve to question the Host saying that he had  the wrong answer.  The Host responded that he did not care what the phone said. 

Always been complaints about people cheating, you may remember the people who used to cruise frequently and came to trivia with notebooks of the past questions.

On 12/16/2018 at 10:15 AM, BridgeMates said:

Very disappointed about the trivia.  It is always something we enjoy and have often joined a team and met some really fun people.   Hope they reconsider this decision.

Triva is a great way to connect with other cruisers.  A lot of us look forward to playing Trivia daily and consistency of the games location and time is also important.  Hopefully enough people will complain and Celebrity will get their act together.  

Marion

On 12/17/2018 at 9:09 PM, deeva211 said:

There are no daily activities in the dailies!!!  I don't consider learning to write Haiku or learning to mix music as fun activities.  I went to school for that.  I was able to solve the wooden cube in Eden though.  That took about 10 minutes and then I was bored the rest of the day.  At the cruise critic party, Maarten (waste of a CD) introduced some officers and then it was over.   I'll try to get my dailies scanned!

I attended the presentation on creativity including the writing of a Haiku.

Never knew what it was and was amazed with myself for writing one. All who attended were proud to have them read out to the others. Such an enlightening half hour or so with the possibility of extending your writing, singing, or musicianship ship further whilst on board.

31 minutes ago, Esprit said:

I attended the presentation on creativity including the writing of a Haiku.

Never knew what it was and was amazed with myself for writing one. All who attended were proud to have them read out to the others. Such an enlightening half hour or so with the possibility of extending your writing, singing, or musicianship ship further whilst on board.

We did that in college...along with beatnik/ hippie coffee houses.. wine and cheese, poetry readings , folk guitar...all very fun, hip  and cool...... back then .Nice to know it's coming back...for some.

But this  thread is about trivia..  more  of a team activity and something many cruisers look forward to in the non  I - phone  format...I would bet more cruisers want traditional trivia than a half hour haiku session!

One wonders if  Celeb  motivation is looking for revenues from the trivia on line, saving paper or staff time in  developing the quizzes?

Also applies to  the  daily printed sudoku and puzzles which we will miss!

Edited by hcat

12 hours ago, dkjretired said:

Always been complaints about people cheating, you may remember the people who used to cruise frequently and came to trivia with notebooks of the past questions.

Although the Host talked over and over about the "life changing prizes", there were several that continued to cheat.  Must be the competitive nature.  I do remember the notebook cruisers....

I recall a couple that went to every trivia and had been on the ship for many weeks as a winter escape.  They would make comments like "That question was asked last week".   Staff mentioned to me that he could not wait for them to leave.

• Haha 1

On 12/19/2018 at 9:59 AM, TeeRick said:

How about guest-organized traditional trivia- perhaps organized from your Roll Call?

On 12/19/2018 at 9:59 AM, TeeRick said:

How about guest-organized traditional trivia- perhaps organized from your Roll Call?

Good idea for the 25-100 or so people on the roll call. Not so good for the other 2900 passengers on the ship.

Edited by richsea