OMG... so confused! CPAP extension cord/strip HELP!

10 hours ago, cb at sea said:

The newer ships do have outlets near the bed.  Older ships may not have them, so an extension cord might be needed for them.    You can bring one without a "surge" suppressor , or they will get one for you.

Extension cords surge suppressor or not, are prohibited.  While you may be able to get one past security, there is no gurantee that you will.  I have seen piles of confisicated extension while boarding.

I find it much easier to contact special needs before the cruise.  You get both the extension cord and distilled water. 

• Like 1

I, too, use a CPAP and I have used the special needs form and the water has been in my cabin when I arrived onboard.  Even though I have sailed on Allure, and there is an outlet next to the bed, the confirmation letter I receive from special needs states an extension cord will be provided.  It isn't necessary and none has been provided.

• Like 1

On 12/29/2018 at 8:55 AM, sft429 said:

Of course it's an extension cord.  I wouldn't be too sure about the lack of surge protection either.

It's not a surge protector.

They sell it for cruise ships.

What would be allowed on a ship ?

Are they OK with just USB ports ?

There are many posts about what is and ins't acceptable.

This one was started in 2017 and picked up a few months ago.

In the future I'm going to bring a USB outlet.

263030052_ScreenShot2019-01-05at3_34_07PM.thumb.png.a3c633ae220dc88c2e9f58f94fb177fc.png

47 minutes ago, drneal said:

I'm leery of anything sold on Amazon that claims it is made for cruise ships.  Look at this link

https://www.amazon.com/Cruise-Power-Strip-USB-Outlets/dp/B07BHVKPC3/

In one of the pictures on the left side there is this specification.....   vpr (l-n):800v

Google that       vpr (l-n):800v       or click  here

Edited by sft429

2 hours ago, sft429 said:

I'm leery of anything sold on Amazon that claims it is made for cruise ships.  Look at this link

https://www.amazon.com/Cruise-Power-Strip-USB-Outlets/dp/B07BHVKPC3/

In one of the pictures on the left side there is this specification.....   vpr (l-n):800v

Google that       vpr (l-n):800v       or click  here

I agree that Amazon advertising can not be relied on, and I generally recommend contacting the manufacturer direct to question whether a product is surge protected or not.  I will say that this particular Tessan product (when I look at it on Amazon, Tessan lists several products that are not protected, and one that is) is not surge protected, and given the "inside" view of the unit, I don't see the blue, round MOV semi-conductors used for surge protection, so I would say this is likely not surge protected.

I agree with prior posts.......older ships like vision (on it right now) is severely lacking on power sources and we are even in a junior suite.  Our extension cord that ship provided is strung across the room floor without any tape securing it down so hoping we dont fall on it in middle of night .........trying to remember it is there!!  Nothing can be plugged in near bed, in fact we even have a coffee pot on shelf and it has no power near it either.   We saw security taking a few extension cord/power items from others during check in and none of them had power surge on them......looked like the power cords that others on this board has said was ok so just be aware cruise line can/might still confiscate it.  

We have found that even with filling out the special needs form and getting a confirmation email back, items are not always waiting for us in the room.  Never worry about it - eventually everything arrives.

Just off Rhapsody - requested distilled water, extension cord and medical fridge prior to cruise - nothing was in room.  Met "Ninja John" our steward and handed him an index card of needs (CPAP needs) and would likes (split beds, extra pillows/towels) and he worked his way through the index card.  Expected a small table top medical fridge, but ended up with a dorm sized fridge (fit under the vanity) that we kept a single dose of medicine and about 10 bottles of water that we would collect during our on-board bar hops.

Don't fret, it will all work out.

12 hours ago, Guinness1000 said:

My husband uses a CPAP. We bring a four foot extension cord on our cruises. No one's ever said anything about it.

Yet! See photo in post #5. I have been on more then 100 cruises and no one ever CONFISCATED my extension cords until Cape liberty. 

Hopefully you will see this and it will be helpful.

I have been using a CPAP machine for about 5 years and a number of cruises.

I know there are many models out there, mine is a Resmed Airsense 10 model.

A lot of CPAP machines are powered by an external transformer. The transformer plugs into the CPAP machine and a power cord connects the transformer to the wall plug.  Resmed's power cords plug into the transformer, they are usually about 6 to 8 ft in length... I found a 20 foot version on Amazon and I have it in my CPAP bag... Never a problem, it is not an extension cord or surge suppressor, it is a power cord. 

Dennis & Sue

• Thanks 1

On 1/5/2019 at 3:48 PM, drneal said:

What would be allowed on a ship ?

Are they OK with just USB ports ?

There are many posts about what is and ins't acceptable.

This one was started in 2017 and picked up a few months ago.

In the future I'm going to bring a USB outlet.

263030052_ScreenShot2019-01-05at3_34_07PM.thumb.png.a3c633ae220dc88c2e9f58f94fb177fc.png

As I was originally making a suggestion for a power strip for a CPAP machine without surge suppressor I thought this would work.

The discussion devolved into whether or not this would pass inspection on ALL ships as it looks like a surge suppressor and has a cord.

As this is a little off topic since it will not be used for a CPAP machine I would like to update anyone interested and say that due to this post I bought this....

979271223_ScreenShot2019-01-07at11_23_58PM.thumb.png.e52fda4ed78ac373fa4cb2488444c79d.png

no power strip = no problem !?

I can charge my phone, iPad, kindle, charging bricks, some cameras....

but not a CPAP.

I hope the OP got as much out of this topic as I did.